Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2021, 22:49   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Cutlass bearing removal without removing shaft

I have a similar problem and am thinking of having a trepanning cutter made up to remove the rubber and then a split sleeve to slide in as a puller.
Old 09-06-2021, 18:18   #17

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Why remove the rubber? Yes, remove rudder if needed, but not rubber.

Given some available space, a simple puller made from 1. metal tube (just larger than OD of bearing), 2. a larger washer fits outside #1, 3. 1/2 inch(ish) threaded metal rod and nuts, 4. a heavy washer that just mates with the OD of the bearing. More complicated approaches always available.

Besides, your yard probably has a proper puller available (for beers or rent.)
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Why remove the rubber? Yes, remove rudder if needed, but not rubber.

Given some available space, a simple puller made from 1. metal tube (just larger than OD of bearing), 2. a larger washer fits outside #1, 3. 1/2 inch(ish) threaded metal rod and nuts, 4. a heavy washer that just mates with the OD of the bearing. More complicated approaches always available.

Besides, your yard probably has a proper puller available (for beers or rent.)
You need to mill out the rubber in order to install the expanding, split sleeve around the shaft but inside the brass outer sleeve of the bearing. The sleeve is then expanded inside the brass outer sleeve to grip it. Then by drawing the expanding sleeve out one hopefully brings the remains of the bearing, the outer brass sleeve with it. Then slide the new bearing over the shaft and into the housing.

The idea is to remove the cutless bearing from the housing (shaft log) without removing either the rudder or the shaft. Removing the rudder to take the shaft out sternwards or lifting the engine to take it out forwards would be a mongrel of a job on my boat.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:59   #19

In about an hour I go onto the slip for an annual re-antifouling and have decided to attempt to replace the cutless bearing without removing the shaft.

My intention is to remove about one inch of the rubber from the brass housing using a hole saw which I've modified to go over the shaft.

Then drive in a brass bushing which I will then drill and tap about 6 4 mm holes centred on the junction of the new brass bushing and the old.

I will then attempt to tap out the whole mess using a hammer on the steel plate I've bolted to the newly created bushing assembly.

A new post with images will follow.

Wish me luck fellow marine equipment and servicing innovators.
Old 12-04-2022, 13:17   #20

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

There is a tool purpose made for that
I have one and I believe there is one for sale on this site
They work remarkably well
Old 12-04-2022, 13:20   #21

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
why the reluctance to pull the shaft?
this gives opportunity to inspect shaft for other wear issues /cracking, etc/
Totally agree. You are on the hard, use the opportunity to check everything.

We must by law pull the stainless shafts on our commercial fishing vessels every 4 years. We have a 2 year dry dock cycle. When we pull shaft I replace the cutlass irrespective of wear. Our shafts are 90-120mm depending vessel size. You need to check for wear, pitting etc.

My one vessel has a flange that screws onto the cutlass. Bit of a pain as I have to get a thread machined into the end of the cutlass to accept the flange. There are 4 screws that then hold the flange in place on the stern tube. Then there are 2 extra threaded holes on each side of the flange that do not correspond to any holes on the stern tube. Once you have removed the 4 screws that hold it in place you can use 2 longer bolts in these holes as jacking screws to pull the flange with the cutlass. Clever simple system that works.

I never remove the prop. If it has not moved in 4 years and shows no obvious signs, leave it alone!

The coupling get lapped and blued before replacing.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 00:25   #22

The cutless bearing change is not going at all well.

I had to build a prop removal tool which worked fairly well, tightemed the bolts and gave the hub a bang with a hammer using a piece of alloy bar as a drift and it popped right off.

Removing the rubber part went OK.I built a removing tool by cutting big teeth in the end of a piece of alloy tube which slipped over the prop shaft and was turned with a pipe wrench whilst I tapped it's end with a hammer. The rubber was crumbly and a lot of it went up into the stern tube but I'll fish it out after I get the brass sleeve removed.

The outer brass sleeve which the elastomer bearing is moulded into was found to be deteriorated and crumbled when I tried to drill it and there was no way a thread into it would have any strength.

Plan B was to use a 1 3/4" hole saw as the cutting structure on a piece of alloy tube. I am slowly driving it over the prop shaft using the prop retaining nut whilst turning it with a pipe wrench. It's very slow as I only penetrate about a 1/16th inch before I have to remove it to clear the cuttings but it's getting the job done and not damaging anything in the process.

Images pending the location of a USB cable.
Old 15-04-2022, 03:32   #23

Sounds to me like you should have just pulled the shaft with the prop on.
Old 15-04-2022, 08:26   #24

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
Might It have been easier to pull the prop and shaft?
What is it 2"?
Or did the rudder dash those plans.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 08:53   #25

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
I see there are some threads on similar subjects back in 2011, but I think this is ok as a new one....

My cutlass bearing is in a tube extending back to the hull so it is not possible to use a puller.
The current replacement method is to remove the prop and then the shaft and then damage the cutlass bearing until it comes out.

Has anyone experience with leaving the cutlass bearing say 10mm protruding?

I then might be in future, able to replace by only removing the prop, loosening the cutlass bearing grub screws and then getting a pipe wrench onto the protruding part.

any comments on this idea?
Removing the cutlass, should require the shaft to be removed.
I like to check the shaft for wear and clean it up.

The cutlass is quite easy if you use a sawsall, and some patience.
It's okay to leave a lip protruding from the shaft log, mine protrudes 1/2".

As the fit of the bearing should be quite snug, even leaving a lip with hope of saving yourself the time to remove the shaft the next time you want to replace is not the best plan, as they usually shouldn't be loose enough to turn with a pipe wrench.
And if you can rotate it easily the shaft log may be worn.

The bearing should also have some set screws placed to keep the bearing shell from rotating.
Other boats may have some differences on placement of the bearing, some have struts, others shaft logs.

Some people leave the shaft in, usual cause is the rudder is interfering with removal, or coupler is seized and they don't want to replace it.

After cutlass. Removal and installation, the shaft still needs an alignment.
So the coupler must be loosened.
It's easier to pull the shaft, and proceed as a whole process, rather than just pushing in a bearing and hope it's aligned.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 09:07   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Albin 25 trawler

This can be done if the bearing is not a "thinwall" type. We usually will leave enough cutless bearing protruding if the cutless bearing metal shell is of sufficient thickness that it will not get crushed during removal, using a pipe wrench. Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
I see there are some threads on similar subjects back in 2011, but I think this is ok as a new one....

My cutlass bearing is in a tube extending back to the hull so it is not possible to use a puller.
The current replacement method is to remove the prop and then the shaft and then damage the cutlass bearing until it comes out.

Has anyone experience with leaving the cutlass bearing say 10mm protruding?

I then might be in future, able to replace by only removing the prop, loosening the cutlass bearing grub screws and then getting a pipe wrench onto the protruding part.

any comments on this idea?
Engine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 10:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqfishing View Post
The boat is on a slip with a concrete base so dropping the rudder out is not an option. Removing or lifting or removing the engine to take the shaft out is also a major project and consequently not an option.

With a better cutting to and some sort of power driver I think the job could be finished in an hour or two.
Old 15-04-2022, 10:59   #28

The tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bearing Remover.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	256004  
Old 15-04-2022, 11:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The boat is on a slip with a concrete base so dropping the rudder out is not an option. Removing or lifting or removing the engine to take the shaft out is also a major project and consequently not an option.

With a better cutting to and some sort of power driver I think the job could be finished in an hour or two.
Sorry, meant to ask if you could remove the rudder
Glad you winning!
Old 16-04-2022, 11:58   #30

Having pondered on the situation I found whereby the epoxied in bearing was only going to be removed by some form of drilling I am of the opinion that having the shaft in provided an advantage, it formed a guide to keep the cutting tool on a true axis and I was able to use the prop retaining nut to apply steady axial force on the tool.

Tags
removal