Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2022, 14:40   #1

Boat: Islander 28
Corroded Shaft Strut Bolts Question

First time posting. Been reading CF almost every day since I bought the boat(Islander 28) in July. So grateful for all the information, my boat and engine are appreciating it.

Anyways, I notice that my prop strut bolts are heavily corroded, I assume they are bronze by the green oxidation on them. The strut itself is not corroding from what I can tell when I am cleaning the bottom. Zincs look good.

See grainy image bellow:

Since taking the picture, I have tried to bust off some of the corrosion with a long poll. Access is SEVERELY limited due to the strut being directly underneath the fuel tank.

I understand that there should not be a lot of force on the strut if my shaft and engine are properly aligned but this seems like an excessive amount of corrosion. I have scoured this forum and google for insight on addressing strut bolt corrosion, but found nothing on this specifically.

The first thing I did when I got the boat was to clean up the keel bolts with a steel brush adaptor and a electric drill, and those cleaned up nicely.

I will likely do the same to the strut bolts, once I muster up the courage to fold myself underneath the cockpit behind the engine from the lazarette.

What I want to know is: has anyone had issues with these bolts? If the bolts have been corroded significantly, I would assume that they would need to be replaced during a haul out. And if I replace one at at time I should be able to avoid messing with the alignment right? Or, should I pull the strut and rebed it to stop the source of the corrosion?

Thanks in advance from a relatively new boat owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3667.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	267815  
OsideIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode