Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2009, 10:43   #1

Boat: Conser 47 Shearwater
Changing Zinc on Flexofold Prop

Wonder if anyone can help me.

Have two flexofold 2 blades props on my catamaran. Have two Volvo md2030 c engines with saildrives. One of the zincs on the sail drive is almost eaten through.

Is it possible to change this zinc without taking the boat out of the water? Does the Flexofold prop pull off in one piece allowing this volvo collar zinc to be slid on the shaft?

Many thanks
david pollitt
dpollitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 10:52   #2

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
I imagine 2 the 2 blade is similar to my 3 blade. You must take the blades off to get the hub off. With scuba gear it would be possible, but be careful not to lose pieces.
Old 21-03-2009, 11:07   #3

Boat: Conser 47 Shearwater
Thanks Bill
Iwas hoping that wouldnt be the case. I remember when the guy at the yard did it on the dry before I bought the boat...had some trouble in the best of circumstances. But wasnt sure if he took the blades off to grease etc or because he had to to replace the zincs.

david
dpollitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 16:18   #4

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
And remember that the FOF bolts need that special loctite for underwater use should you hire a diver and do this waterborne. Although the design - at least on the 3-blade units I have - is such that all bolts except the zinc mount are captive. That means that if you use the underwater loctite on the zinc mounting bolt, even if the others should come loose they are not going anywhere.
Old 22-03-2009, 04:41   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Flexofold Installation & Operating Instructions:
Flexofold Installation

As Mark noted:
Normal blue Loctite can only be used out of the water. If you remove a screw with the boat out of the water, the Loctite must be re-applied before re-using the screw. When changing or remounting a prop under water, you should first contact Flexofold to acquire a new screw set with the pre-applied Loctite.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 13:33   #6

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
To my knowlege, none of the three mechanics who have worked on my props have used locktite or grease. I put on waterproof grease on afterwards.
Old 26-03-2009, 08:16   #7
Marine Service Provider

There is one company that supplies a split zinc for some of the Volvo saildrives and for the latest ZF saildrive. This allows you to change the zinc without removing the prop. Here is the link to their site Volvo Penta Saildrive Anodes

Regards, Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 12:13   #8

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCboatrx View Post
There is one company that supplies a split zinc for some of the Volvo saildrives and for the latest ZF saildrive. This allows you to change the zinc without removing the prop. Here is the link to their site Volvo Penta Saildrive Anodes

Regards, Stanley
Unfortunately the MD2030C units David has are not likely mated to the newer 130 / 150 series sail drives. I have the same engines mated to the 120s that can only use the one-piece zinc.

But hey - at least those of us with the older drives have to haul the boat to change the oil in the lower unit..... That's an added bonus And while the oil is draining we change the zincs...... after removing the props ...... man this is fun!
Old 23-03-2010, 04:18   #9

There is a place that makes a split zinc adapter for the 120 saildrive. I don't have any experience with it, but I am thinking of trying it this year. Here is the link:

V120 page

Gerhard
gstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 07:32   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
I have replaced many saildrive zincs underwater and have often had to pull a Flex-O-Fold 2-blade folder to do it. It's not a particularly difficult job and could be done by anybody with dive gear and the right tools. The 2-piece zinc and adapter kit ain't cheap but is worth it's weight in gold, as far as making the zinc replacement quicker and easier.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote