Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2016, 12:44   #1

Campbell sailor prop?

I,m replacing a damaged Michigan wheel 14x9 3 blade. Engine is a Yanmar 2QM15, boat is a Lancer 30-5. With the prop that's being replaced the engine would max out at 2800 rpm indicating over propped, also only able to attain 5.25 (gps) knt, hull speed is 6.5. I cruise the P.N.W. and thus lots tidal currents. I'd like to get close to hull speed, even 6 knots would be fine. I hear many great claims on thrust in both forward and reverse with the Campbell Sailor prop, with a huge reduction in drag over the Michigan Wheel Sailor prop. Any first hand experience with this fixed 3 blade propeller?
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 13:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Campbell sailor prop?

We have one and love it. You'll have a slightly smaller diameter to get the same performance too.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-07-2016, 13:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
We have one and love it. You'll have a slightly smaller diameter to get the same performance too.

Did you have a different prop on the boat before? Maybe a comparison? I'm trying to get an idea of if it will give better forward speed and good astern thrust as well. Thank you for your reply!
Old 29-07-2016, 13:14   #4

Boat: Pearson 422

Ditto Schooner's comment. We switched to a Campbell when we repowered and are very satisfied. Ended up with a slightly smaller diameter than our previous Michigan Wheel. One note: when dealing with them, rely heavily on their experience. We ended up within 20 RPM of design WOT specs with a faster calm water speed than anticipated.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 13:18   #5
SFS

For more info, a google search for "Campbell Sailor prop" will yield links to a total of 10 threads, 5 each on two other well-known forums. (I didn't name them or supply the links here, as I'm unsure of the rules on those issues).

A search of this forum didn't come up with any hits, except for this thread.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 13:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
Ditto Schooner's comment. We switched to a Campbell when we repowered and are very satisfied. Ended up with a slightly smaller diameter than our previous Michigan Wheel. One note: when dealing with them, rely heavily on their experience. We ended up within 20 RPM of design WOT specs with a faster calm water speed than anticipated.
And from what I'm gathering, one must deal direct with West by North to get one, is that correct? Did they get you that close on the first try or did the prop need return and retune? I've heard from others to just trust their recommendation despite how odd the size may seem in comparison to other props. Thank you for the reply.
Old 29-07-2016, 13:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Campbell sailor prop?

We repowered when buying and rebuilding the boat so the comparison with different props isn't exact for us on this boat. For us it was no brainier because we have a tight prop aperture and wanted to be able to pull the prop without dropping the rudder. All Campbell Sailor props are custom cast. Having a Michigan Wheel customized with a 4.25" hub on our 1.75" dia shaft rather than the standard 5.25 (? Or was it 5.5 thickness) was going to cost more than the C S. At the time the C S was 75% of the price of the customized MW.

We felt is was going to be just as good if not a whole lot better than the MW. We were right.

Old 29-07-2016, 13:39   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Switched from 13x12 conventional 3 blade when I got a deal on a 13x13 sailor prop. With the sailor, the engine max'd out at 2800 rpm with lots of smoke. The conventional prop would go to 3600 rpm redline and seemed just about perfect. These props are very different than conventional props and you can't just switch blindly from one to the other. Listen to West by North when sizing the prop.

Switched the transmission from 2.2 to 2.6 gearing and that's cured the over propped problem. Haven't got the GPS or the knot meter up and running yet so can't comment on actual efficiency at pushing the boat but it feels fine.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 15:20   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have only heard good things about campbell props..more efficient. am interested in these.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 15:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have only heard good things about campbell props..more efficient. am interested in these.
I'll be ordering one next week, I'll post what my experience is with Campbell sailor prop. How are things down south Zee? Hope all is well with you and repair/refit is going as well as those things can go.
Old 29-07-2016, 15:45   #11

I just received a reply from West by North on prop recommendations. They recommend a 13x7 3 blade with an expected top speed of 6 knts, cruise at 2300-2500 rpm for 5.5 knts. At 13x7 it presents much less drag when sailing. Cost is very reasonable at around $650 us shipped. I'll order one next week and post results. Thanks for all the help here.
Old 29-07-2016, 16:08   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I'll be ordering one next week, I'll post what my experience is with Campbell sailor prop. How are things down south Zee? Hope all is well with you and repair/refit is going as well as those things can go.
repairs are slow but i have new err finally have a functioning fuel pump and more packing to keep away the sinking feeling.
we still await electrickery and mizzen stepping.. will be a while i think. still waiting for estimate on my intended project. oh yeah and i has a rebuilt tranny now. it decided to stay in forward when i relocated for dock repairs.
we upright and afloat. everything is perfect!!!

and to keep it on topic, i have campbell prop envy., a friend of mine in sd was a fan.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 05:24   #13

Boat: Pearson 422

We trusted their recommendation. As i understand, they will modify and repitch until its right, if you took their recommendation. If not, you are in your own for mods. Check that to make sure but i was very happy with the process, the customer service and the resulting performance

Ymmv

Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 18:39   #14

Well after a couple of texts and a phone call from Kelsey at West by North I have a new Campbell Sailor prop being manufactured. Kelsey is a great guy, willing to spend time to make sure you understand this unique propeller and what to expect from it. I was in the middle of a couple of weeks just cruising around P.N.W. and bent my prop coming west from Neah Bay. When I told Kelsey this he moved up the shipping date by a week to help get me going again. Where do you find company's like this anymore? Oh Canada!!! So I'll post my results with this new prop once installed and tested out for a few weeks. Thank you, to everyone here for your shared opinions and experience.
Old 29-09-2016, 09:35   #15

Well like most repairs this one took longer and cost more than initially thought but it's done. I ended up not just replacing the prop but also the shaft coupler and packing box, all while in the water, I had no idea I could still move that fast! LOL.
The Campbell Sailor Prop? I'm rather amazed and very pleased. I picked up 3/4 knt at cruise rpm, 1.3 knt at max rpm (ya, thats a lot), reverse thrust is very powerful with prop walk all but gone. It's also a smaller prop with less drag under sail. I'm really kind of surprised, the prop I had was original to the boat (yanmar recommeded) and in great shape before I damaged it and it was most obviously a piss poor performer compared to the Campbell prop.
In short, I could not be more pleased. Great company, great product that more than met my hopes. Thank's to Kelsey at West by North!

Tags
sail