Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 21:41   #16

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Bring Spare Propeller Cruising?

In either case, they're actually out cruising, so whatever works. Many people's fears keep them glued to crappy jobs in crappy towns waiting to die.
Old 11-03-2013, 21:45   #17

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

How about a spare bottle of rum, for that special occasion! I'll bet most cruisers wouldn't dare sail without one! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 23:59   #18

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

BTW Annie, my biggest regret in cruising so far has been spending too much time in the US when we started. Mexico is way better!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:15   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Max prop on the shaft, old 2-blade in the bilge. Cheap insurance.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:33   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Yes, a spare prop for your outboard. It's very easy to spin a prop so having a spare is handy. They're light so not a stowage problem and pretty cheap.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:00   #21

Some friends of mine took a center console out to the oil rigs fishing one day, about 30 miles out. They got a line wrapped around their prop really bad and had the great idea to take it off to clear it.

As one of them leaned over to put it back, on ........ plop!.

I used to carry a spare prop and nut on my outboard center console for that reason, but I have never carried one on my sailboat. I've never even known anyone who damaged an inboard sailboat prop, although I guess it could be possible.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:15   #22

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I agree with VASCO

A spare or even two dinghy motor props will make your trip much easier.

I have gone through one prop after hitting some rocks in the lagoon in Zihuatenejo. Lots of people trash their dinghy props and the availablity in Mexico is limited to major ports and mostly Yamaha.

You didn't say if you had a fixed prop on your boat... If you do, you will find that The US West Coast and Pacific Mexico have many places to repair them.

In the scheme of things, a spare prop would be a low priority on my list of things to take, unitl I broke one

Last week, we broke the tiller bolt on the Raymarine Auto Pilot and had to hand steer for 260 NM in rough seas... I now have a spare on board

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:20   #23

a lot of weight for minimal risk if you currently have a fixed blade prop or a Max Prop etc. If you have a folding prop... I might carry one...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:01   #24

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

I've seen both and Murphy always rules the day!

Any serious distance and I would carry a spare prop. Stick it down low with a nut and cotter pin as required.

I once crewed on a MY and the owner carried two props and a shaft! Plus parts to rebuild the dinks outboard.

Spare rum? Have a still, make yer own and never run out.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 13:13   #25

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Yes, a spare prop for your outboard. It's very easy to spin a prop so having a spare is handy. They're light so not a stowage problem and pretty cheap.
VASCO

Just out of curiousity... Did you check to see if the two blade prop still fits?

When I installed my Max Prop I had to cut 1/2" of the thread of my prop shaft... A standard prop won't fit now since there is not enough thread to secure the nut and pin it.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 20:27   #26

Boat: Caliber 40

Why not carry a spare prop? My original 18" fixed 3-blade takes up almost no room and is stored in a heavy canvas bag in an almost inaccessible area low in the boat. That storage space is not much use for anything else and the five pound weight means almost nothing in our 24,000 pound boat.

I did help a fellow cruiser in the far north Sea of Cortez replace their Maxprop with a spare fixed blade prop that another cruiser lent them. Without that loan those folks would have been stuck in a remote anchorage until they could get a new one from the states OR take a chance weighing anchor with favorable winds in the notoriously fickle summer wind.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 21:06   #27

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Why not carry a spare prop? My original 18" fixed 3-blade takes up almost no room and is stored in a heavy canvas bag in an almost inaccessible area low in the boat. That storage space is not much use for anything else and the five pound weight means almost nothing in our 24,000 pound boat.

I did help a fellow cruiser in the far north Sea of Cortez replace their Maxprop with a spare fixed blade prop that another cruiser lent them. Without that loan those folks would have been stuck in a remote anchorage until they could get a new one from the states OR take a chance weighing anchor with favorable winds in the notoriously fickle summer wind.
Closer to 50lb than 5 but still no reason not to carry one if you have the money, space and inclination.

Edit: Actually 18ish lb, shot my mouth off without checking.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 14:03   #28

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

A spare nut? Never thought of it, but the propeller puller I did have in mind.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 14:08   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Yep - got a spare on board, $80 and a couple of kilo, also a spare nut and fitting kit and the correct spanner and pliers to replace, all in a tool bag.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 14:10   #30
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblingman View Post
I've seen both and Murphy always rules the day!

Any serious distance and I would carry a spare prop. Stick it down low with a nut and cotter pin as required.

I once crewed on a MY and the owner carried two props and a shaft! Plus parts to rebuild the dinks outboard.

Spare rum? Have a still, make yer own and never run out.

I don't know if you all remember, but about 18 months ago I put a new engine in my boat and it required a new prop.

I chose a "Perfect Pitch," which is made out of some kind of composite material, and have been very happy with it. It pushes the boat very well and improves performance in reverse as well. It changes shape subtly in reverse.

It was only $300 - $325 ... at that price, you can have two for the price of one. If you hit an obstruction and break a blade off, the thing is so lightweight you can still use the propeller to limp into port.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, propeller