Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2021, 06:18   #1

Boat: hunter 310 / sunrunner 3300 / maxum scr 2400
Bravo 2 drives water inlet pipe fallen out

Hi

It seems on both my new Bravo 2 Magnum 6311002NZ transoms the water inlet pipe has become disconnected (eg the one that goes into the back of the drive itself)

My quick look under water suggest the pipe was attached to a nozzel on the drive itself (and not a plug insert retainer (41674T) like my other boat's older transom / Bravo 2 drive) .

Both transoms were replaced 3 years ago and this issue only came up 6 months ago when the engines started to overheat at 3500 rpm

a) does anyone have the same water inlet nozzel set up (or is the pipe broken and I just think its a nozzel (under water its hard to see/ feel but seems solid and thin)

b) anyone refitted these with the boat still in the water as it seem as soon as you trim the drive up, you cant' get the pipe to extend, but if the leave the drive down you can't get to the pipe anyway - or is pulling the boat up and taking the drives off the only way

c) the transoms were fresh from the Mercury factory - given its happened on both drives, is this a manufacturing defect given should not need to touch this pipe when fitting a new transom

I've attached a few pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample water inlet pipe pic.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	247429   Click image for larger version

Name:	insert 41674T water pipe bravo .jpg
Views:	177
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	247430  

Name:	IMG_5084.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	247431  
mghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 08:20   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Bravo 2 drives water inlet pipe fallen out

I recently installed a new Alpha drive and engine package on a friends Carver. It is the same arrangement. The installation depends on your cooling water pickup arrangement. There were 2 choices:
Bravo Models and Alpha Seawater Cooled Models Using Sterndrive Water
Pickups

With this option the cooling water">engine cooling water is drawn through the stern drive itself and that hose stays connected.
Alpha or Bravo Models Using Alternative Water Pickups
With this option, the transom plate water connection is blocked off, and you are instructed to cut that hose, leaving 5 inches to clip the trim limit switch wires and speedometer hose onto.
If you have through hulls for your cooling water pickups, then those tubes don't need to be connected (although 5" piece should have stayed connected and the other part removed). If your cooling water is connected to the transom assembly then yes that could be the problem.
Here is an install manual, start on page 62:
http://panavi.kz/boat/1998/best_manual.pdf
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 14:46   #3

Thanks

no thru hulls fitted.

Just trying to work out before I have to pull the boat and drives if there is a easy fix or if these pipes are prone to breaking / pulling out.

Underwater, the nozzel feels like the pic attached (I take this one is on the transom side rather than the drive side).

Looks like another dive coming up
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brass water inlet .jpg
Views:	144
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	247442  
Old 27-10-2021, 15:20   #4
cruiser

You need to look up "Bravoitis". I believe that the water outlet on a Bravo is 5/8". If you have 5.7s, you could go up to 11/4" through hull intakes (each engine). Some install an intake strainer but many just use the clamshell type with1/8" slots.
Old 27-10-2021, 15:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mghunter View Post

Both transoms were replaced 3 years ago

c) the transoms were fresh from the Mercury factory
They are Transom Assemblies. The Transom is what they are bolted too.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 05:49   #6

I stand corrected re transoms.

Despite the good advice, to put thru hulls in would mean I would need to lift the boat out.

Given both drives now have the water hoses popped off, are the plug insert retainers that screw into the pipe to hold it known to pop off or fail (after a few years), given they should have been new

Given the transom assemblies come fully built from the factory, any reason to play with the water inlet hose anyway ?

Or if the tech did not screw them in properly, would they fall out and if so, where would they go (eg into the bottom of the drive).

I say this because the yard (a Merc service certified) that installed the transom assemblies managed to install one of the props backwards and did not notice until I pointed it out to them (plus decided that they did not need to drain the old lube monitor which had water it it) - eg I really do not want them to touch my boat again
Old 28-10-2021, 07:46   #7
cruiser

I found this video which shows how they are retained. No way to do this in the water. The drive leg needs to be unbolted first. At that point you should check the engine alignment. Or just add through hulls and leave the drives as is, but will need the block off kit for the inner transoms. My guess is a bad installation. Maybe the retainer inserts were damaged or got left out.
Old 16-11-2021, 00:24   #8

Re: Bravo 2 drives water inlet pipes fallen out

So it seems Mercruiser has changed the water inlet pipes on the newer transom assemblies.

Instead of the plastic water inserts that screwed in and retained the pipe in the bell housing, they decided to use un bonded stainless steel clamps on the outside

I suspect these have corroded and fallen off on both drives

Might be easier and cheaper long term to do the thru hull pickups, given I can't see these lasting the same period as the plastic screw in inserts (eg a really long time) .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new transom with plastic water inlet pipe.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	248376   Click image for larger version

Name:	new water inlet pipe kit.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	248377  

Tags