Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 05:39   #46
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleinamessage View Post
re: thruster tube grills. I've considered adding a basic mininal grill. Shortly after the install, we sucked a dockline in and it cleaned the blades off the thruster. Much more careful now.
What are your blades made of?

I guess a heavy dock line would make a mess if it was a plastic prop

My prop is heavy 3 bladed brass so I am not concerned about it breaking. (I think the chain drive is the weak link)

My feeling about leaving the tunnel wide open is that anything that gets sucked in would be swept out the other side and if not, easy for me to reach in and clear it
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:52   #47

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
No problem. I didn't catch your meaning. It's almost 9AM here now. I'm an early riser (not by choice). LOL
Old 04-10-2009, 06:50   #48

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Water Jet, grills

The Willdo Jet thruster is a re-creation of the original unit made by VETUS. The original owner of VETUS was Willem Den Ouden. He was bored with retirement and started Willdo but had a non compete clause that prevented him from getting into the conventional thruster biz. As he passed away about a year ago the availability of these units and future parts is something I would investigate before getting a jet thruster.

With regard to grills on the thruster openings it will reduce the thrust if small enough the exclude a dockline. Most "Stuff" in the water either floats or sinks. (Docklines excepted) so there is rarely an issue with sticks. Some thruster units have some sort of shear pin under the motor that you can acess from the inside. A spare prop is also cheap insurance.

Funny story... A houseboat owner in Kentucky was wondering why the grandkids were always pulseing the thruster. Turns out they were putting bread in the tunnel to attract minnows. Then they would hold a minnow net on one end of the tunnel and hit the thruster button swooshing the minnows into the net and sell them to the local fisherman. Not all kids are dumb as I thought.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:05   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
So I'm thinking its a good way to chum-up the water while fishing off the bow....hit the thruster once and a while....oh yeh!!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 07:51   #50

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2
Re: Bowthruster Questions

Hi, thanks for your post. I have a Jeanneau 52 with this same Max Power 12V retractable thruster. I am overhauling it right now as all the electrics are in really bad shape. I would love to see pics of your installation and wiring in the bow. Also mine did not some with the hull plate intact. Pics of this on your boat would be a big help too.
rsj8028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 19:52   #51

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsj8028 View Post
Hi, thanks for your post. I have a Jeanneau 52 with this same Max Power 12V retractable thruster. I am overhauling it right now as all the electrics are in really bad shape. I would love to see pics of your installation and wiring in the bow. Also mine did not some with the hull plate intact. Pics of this on your boat would be a big help too.
Sorry about the delayed response - I hadn't noticed your message earlier. I will be at the marina this weekend and will try to get a couple of photos for you. I didn't quite understand what you meant re the hull plate(?) If this is the cut out; the yard was able to use the cut out piece of the hull as the 'cover' and it works well - very smooth surface when retracted.

Two problems I had re this bow thruster: First one was caused by me because I asked the yard to not install a battery under the V berth - With a 12VDC system, this did not work well; too much of a voltage drop - even though they used gauge 1 or 2 cables. Later on, I added an Optima battery (doesn't gas when charging) close to the thruster and converted the heavy wiring to become the charging circuit: Haven't had a problem with this set up. I will need to replace the battery soon as it has been about 5 years since I installed it.

Second problem was with the unit: The temperature sensor went bad and acted like the unit was overheating - when in fact, it wasn't. I spoke with the MaxPower technician in FL and turns out it is the white wire in the harness by the unit and I could disconnect this wire and it bypassed the temp checking (faulty) Since I just tap the thruster once in a while and not stand on it continuously, I thought this was a minor risk. To change the temp sensor, boat has to be hauled out.

I'll try to get the photos for you.

Fair winds!

Hakki
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 06:25   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
Sorry about the delayed response - I hadn't noticed your message earlier. I will be at the marina this weekend and will try to get a couple of photos for you. I didn't quite understand what you meant re the hull plate(?) If this is the cut out; the yard was able to use the cut out piece of the hull as the 'cover' and it works well - very smooth surface when retracted.

Two problems I had re this bow thruster: First one was caused by me because I asked the yard to not install a battery under the V berth - With a 12VDC system, this did not work well; too much of a voltage drop - even though they used gauge 1 or 2 cables. Later on, I added an Optima battery (doesn't gas when charging) close to the thruster and converted the heavy wiring to become the charging circuit: Haven't had a problem with this set up. I will need to replace the battery soon as it has been about 5 years since I installed it.

Second problem was with the unit: The temperature sensor went bad and acted like the unit was overheating - when in fact, it wasn't. I spoke with the MaxPower technician in FL and turns out it is the white wire in the harness by the unit and I could disconnect this wire and it bypassed the temp checking (faulty) Since I just tap the thruster once in a while and not stand on it continuously, I thought this was a minor risk. To change the temp sensor, boat has to be hauled out.

I'll try to get the photos for you.

Fair winds!

Hakki
Thanks for your reply very helpful. The boat already has the cut out missing and the plate that mounts it to the tunnel so I have to make this from scratch so any pics of your own would help me, especially how it is attached to the plate, although I guess your boat is in the water so scratch that if it is.

I saw a small electronic / resistor looking fitting tie wrapped to the grille on my thruster main motor with 2 small yellow wires. I am assuming that this is the temp sensor as in my wiring diagram I see the electronic control box has yellow wires for temp sensor circuit. It seems that my unit did not come with an electronic control box and was just rigged directly with relays and wires run to the bridge controller in the cockpit. I want to clean all this up so pics of your electrical install in the bow would be be great. My unit was already hooked up with 2 Optima batteries right next to it in the bow.

I was thinking to use the heavy wires that power my windlass as charging wires for these batteries.

I agree with you with the temp sensor not being critical.

I just bought the boat as it was run aground 2 years ago. Much of the work has been done but I have all the electrical to replace as all this got wet when it lay on the starboard side.

I need all the help I can get !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMIJ 3.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	65896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	65897  

Name:	IMG_1132.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	65898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	65899  

Name:	IMG_1137.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	65900  
Old 26-08-2013, 11:35   #53

Glad you posted those photos - What I have is a 'Compact Retract' and yours, a ' VIP 150'. They are both 12VDC units but yours has about 1/3 more power than mine and stands taller: Due to the height restriction (mine is under the V berth) as well as reduced maintenance, I chose the Compact Retract. It seems the Max Power web page has all the drawings and documentation for wiring, etc for these units. I did take photos of my installation and will be happy to email them to you but due to the model difference, it may be of limited value.

If you'd like the photos, give me a shout and I'll send them your way.

Take care!

Hakki
Old 03-09-2013, 03:40   #54

Hi Hakki

Thanks for the info. I wish mine were more compact. It pretty much takes up the whole bow cabin as it cannot be used for anything else as it comes up so much. Anyway the boat came with it and at the cost of replacing, I'm going to make it work.
Please still send some pics of your install of the heavy wiring, fuses and relays. I have to do all this over so any ideas your pics would give me would be helpful.
Did you wire your windlass cables to the thruster batteries to charge them and then parallel the wires to the windlass. I remember reading about someone doing it like this.
All these wires have been removed from my boat to allow major repairs so I have to figure out the best way to do it.

Thanks again for you help
Robert
Old 03-09-2013, 04:29   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hudson 50 and Formossa 51
pirate Re: Bowthruster Questions

i have a side power 12v thruster on my boats, 130 kg thrust ,about two sizes bigger than recommended , i fitted them myself and found it easy , backing up was always a problem but now just leave the wheel a little bit away from the dock so as if you get to close you just kick ahead and the stern goes away and steer with the thruster . (best thing since sliced bread )30 ton of boat now easily controlled.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hole 010.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	66416   Click image for larger version

Name:	holely boat 002.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	66417  

Name:	holely boat 003.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	66418   Click image for larger version

Name:	hooollll 003.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	66419  

Name:	boat lauch 003.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	66420  
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:48   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsj8028 View Post
Hi Hakki

Thanks for the info. I wish mine were more compact. It pretty much takes up the whole bow cabin as it cannot be used for anything else as it comes up so much. Anyway the boat came with it and at the cost of replacing, I'm going to make it work.
Please still send some pics of your install of the heavy wiring, fuses and relays. I have to do all this over so any ideas your pics would give me would be helpful.
Did you wire your windlass cables to the thruster batteries to charge them and then parallel the wires to the windlass. I remember reading about someone doing it like this.
All these wires have been removed from my boat to allow major repairs so I have to figure out the best way to do it.

Thanks again for you help
Robert
Robert,

I sent you a separate PM describing the connections. And, yes, the cables followed along the windlass cables on port side (conduit) as you'll note from the photos. You'll also note that some of the heavier cables seem longer than necessary: This is from when I re routed the wiring while adding the Optima battery ( didn't have the correct tools to cut and reattach terminals) This set up has worked for me for at least six or seven years even during extreme conditions - one of these days, I'll make it 'pretty' .

Hope the pics help - good luck!

Hakki
Old 07-09-2013, 04:58   #57

Robert, (one more thing): The power feed to actuate the retract/extract is distinct from the feed to the motor itself: I.e., if you don't have enough juice, you may still extract the bow thruster but will not be able to run the motor (!) I fell for this one before - just a reminder

Hakki
Old 11-09-2013, 05:19   #58

Hi Hakki,

Thanks for the excellent pics and details. It will be a great help. Right now I'm still in the middle of getting all the replacement bearings and seals together as well as buying the electronic control box and bridge controller from MAX POWER as my model did not come with a control box and my bridge controller is a generic one that the previous owner jury rigged.

When I finish assembly I will post some before and after pics.

Robert
Old 11-09-2013, 05:50   #59

Hakki,

How many batteries are you using for the thruster.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:01   #60

Boat: Lagoon 440

We have a 'Swing Thruster' it was original on the boat when we bought it and for manoeuvring in the tight positions here in Europe it's fantastic!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2621.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	67011   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2622.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	67012  

Tags
paracelle