Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2021, 06:55   #31

Re: Best prop shaft line cutter. Knife

I've used several different line cutters. They all worked - but not all the time. I've had a Shaft Shark on the last two boats and it's quite good - and is split so you don't need to take the prop off to mount it. https://ab-marine.com/product/shaft-shark-model-ss300/

When do they not work? Sometimes a line can get wrapped and wedged in a way that it just misses the cutting blade. And even when it does cut you often have a wad of cut line remaining on the prop that unbalances it creating vibration. Finally, about half the time the line snags the rudder not the prop.

That's why we always carry carry a hook knife mentioned previously. Put a pole on it. It lets you cut the line without being able to see it. If you are dragging a pot you can reach down from the boat's swim step. Just feel with the hook and give a good tug. Works from the dinghy or swimming without having to dive under the boat. My old hook knife also has a serrated edge that works on the melted lines. Unfortunately the new hook knife 2 has no serrations. Hopefully they'll change it. https://sailorssolutions.com/?page=P...ails&Item=CH01

If you have a shaft cutter always warn divers as just brushing against it can open a nasty gash. And wear a pair of kevlar kitchen gloves whenever you work under the boat.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 07:09   #32

Boat: Mark Smaalder's designed 32' cold-molded cutter

I use the Salco line cutter with attached anode. Works great for me here in Maine. However my problem has been with lines getting caught between my keel and the transom-hung rudder which is 6 feet below the water. I purchased a hook knife from Hamilton marine which is perfect for my needs...especially since it can connect to my 9’ boat pole.
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/inet/storefront/getimage.php?recid=70690
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A33160A6-A1C2-4DE2-8F6F-F24958BF153F.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	237529   Click image for larger version

Name:	7F7C5449-160E-49E2-9BCD-FA2C028D26B7.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	237530  

Click image for larger version

Name:	705EC918-2FAF-4493-90C4-3242F1151215.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	237531  
scottmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 07:29   #33

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

It is said that when you bring an item onboard it should serve 2 purposes.

Yrs ago I found these (Sacrificial Anode Line Cutter Assembly Zinc | Sea Shield Marine) and have been using them ever since.

They can be acquired in Zinc or Aluminum and are available for different size shafts.

I've had mine work twice, once I didn't know until we hauled the boat and there was remnants of line on the strut.

I personally think a serrated blade works better.

As to a knife, again, make sure part of the blade is serrated. West Marine or other outfitters will have a wide choice. I actually tied a folding knife to the mate's PFD since she is the major line handler and I wanted her to have something available if while locking (we are on the Loop, going thru over 100 locks so far) a line got hung up. Fortunately, haven't used it yet.

Good luck.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 11:01   #34

I fitted one of these Australian made rope cutters to my boat.
It appears to the best I have seen.
Have seen live demonstrations at boat shows and it works as in the animation

https://www.stellasystems.com.au/rope_cutters.php
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 11:44   #35

Boat: TY37, formerly Paceship PY26

Victornox makes an $8 “steak knife”. Cuts like a dream, bends, and I’ve never broken one. . When I was a Bering sea crabber, almost everyone had one strapped to their Grundens. They are made with a sheep’s foot point, also.
Pat_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 12:54   #36

My knife is a Colonial Knife Works Rigging Knife. Made in Providence, Rhode Island. 50% serrated blade, 50% Spey Foot blade. Plus the ever-handy Marlin Spike
Old 01-05-2021, 06:07   #37

Boat: MacGregor 26S, 1993

Whatever knife is handy. There's no need to spend $$$ on a specialized gadget. Keep your kitchen knives very sharp and it will do all that you ask of it.
ghochgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:34   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
I have a Stripper Rope cutter on my shaft https://www.ropestripper.com/ . Works really well - make sure you do not get a rope anywhere near it.

I had one on my last boat which cut a 12mm diameter line as I allowed my experienced friend to motor us off the mooring. We felt a bit of a thump & sure enough, there was the pickup buoy floating away in the stream.

I had one fitted to my current boat as soon as I bought it. The rope it cut was at least 16mm diameter nylon, maybe 18mm. The thump was a little more noticeable but we were in tickover at the time, as I was trying to do a 90 degree turn out of my end on marina berth in a very tight marina channel. I caught the bow mooring line (down to the central ground chain) of my next door neighbour - fortunately that system uses 2 bow lines. £40 for the marina to fish it out & splice it - but that was 20 years ago.

I fitted the rope cutter to avoid being caught up in lobster pot lines but I have no idea if it has ever had to do that - those lines are usually so thin you just wouldnt feel anything.

If I do get caught up in something its more likely to be some kind of junk like a discarded net or some plastic sheeting. I have several suitable knives for that job but my ace in the hole is a folding pruning saw - as used in gardening https://www.burgonandball.com/produc...w-rhs-endorsed . I also keep an underwater viewer on board - like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquascope-B...32726920&psc=1

so hopefully I could lash the knife to a boathook & cut the rubbish off the prop from the dinghy - the water is cold here..

We have a Stripper, too. I’ve never felt it to work but a couple of times on haul-out there have been obvious signs that it’s done its job.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:49   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Please post your experience with shaft mounted line cutters.
And from divers, best reasonable priced knife.
Thank you in advance for posts.
Mark and the manatee crew
I have had QuicKutters (from Australia, but have a U.S. distributor) on my boat for just over 10 years. They have never failed to cut lines or ropes that got entangled. In most cases you don’t even notice the line/rope, as they get cut so quickly. On top of everything, they are streamlined, not causing additional drag.
The service provided during the buying experience was also first class (I bought them directly from Australia, at the time).
https://www.quickwater.com.au/content.htm
southatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:49   #40

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

hook knife emergency prop line cutter.
looks fearsome.
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/prod...dle-30491.html
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter