Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 16:02   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis
Beneteau rudder shaft no galvanic protection?

Fresh in my mind is my last rudder drama, when I just realised while looking over my Oceanis's rudder system, there's no galvanic protection on the rudder shaft!

There seems to be all the correct conditions for galvanic corrosion, the shaft is stainless, the bearings are bronze( so..far apart in the galvanic series) ,they are electrically in contact and submerged!

So can anyone answer why Beneteau saw fit not to design a zinc (onto the rudder shaft) or add a simple wire bonding to the engine? Should there be is really my question? bonding would be the easiest solution I guess?

I don't see any bonding on any of the production boats, and there definitely isn't room for a shaft zinc...but this must already be an issue? My boat is kinda newish old Bene owners whats up!? another call to Beneteau techies!?
sailabroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, rot, rudder