Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 22:46   #1

Autoprop Propeller - Help !

Hai evert budy,
I am an Hanse boat owner, with an Autoprop propelor that was instoled 2 years ago.
Up till now it was great. But some thing hapened and the boat is not roning any more even in haigh motor RPM.
We checed the geer and the trotel system and they were fin.
We took a simpler 3 blade propelor and we chenged betweem them, and for our suprise, the bout is runing.
Our propelor is for SD,
There is a ring that was attached to the propelor in the place of the conection to the SD that was toren from the pins that it was conecceted to. We suspect this is the reson the propelor doesn't work.
Does any one has the expirient with this kind of probelm?
What is the role of the ring?
And how does it effect the propelor function?

I am sorry for my spleling mistak (Israeli)/
Iris
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 23:55   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Which model do you have? And is the pin you mentioned in this picture?

Old 13-11-2010, 00:03   #3

Or in this picture?

Old 13-11-2010, 00:24   #4

Our propelor is like the second pic. (the diagram)
The two parts that has been seperated are: the HSDRP plate/or ring from the propelor's body.
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 09:33   #5

I'm not familiar with auto prop and how it attaches but the ring in question does look like a separate piece. I would suggest you take it to a local dealer and have them look at it. Or you could post pictures so we can get an idea of what the ring has done.

Here is your local rep.:

ISRAEL
Atlantis Marine Ltd
147 Kikar Atarim
169 Hayaryon St
Tel Aviv 63453 Israel
E-mail: atlantis@inter.net.il
Tel: 972 3 522 7978
Fax: 972 3 523 5150
Old 14-11-2010, 09:16   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
My suggestion is that you repair the Autoprop, sell it and buy something reliable. Never have I seen a prop with more failures than that one.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:45   #7

Re: Autoprop Propeller - Help !

A bit late probably, but we too have an autoprop. Truly great thing. However it needs to be clean. That is probably the case with all props, but I couldn't get higher than 2400 rpm (engine designed to do 3300). Got a technician. He told me to scrape the prop. I did and back to 3300 now. There wasn't even so much growth on it, but made a huge difference. The ring is just a spacer, you don't really need it, as long as there is no play. Some great things need many pieces... Cheers Adam
elenaoprei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:05   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

There is a similar working toy from:

PYI Inc. Max-Prop PSS Shaft Seal Seaview Radar Mounts R&D

just saying.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:31   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaoprei View Post
A bit late probably, but we too have an autoprop. Truly great thing. However it needs to be clean. That is probably the case with all props, but I couldn't get higher than 2400 rpm (engine designed to do 3300). Got a technician. He told me to scrape the prop. I did and back to 3300 now. There wasn't even so much growth on it, but made a huge difference. The ring is just a spacer, you don't really need it, as long as there is no play. Some great things need many pieces... Cheers Adam
+1

I agree. We love ours. We have one on the new boat, and got twelve happy years out of one on the other boat with no problems whatsoever. They are very popular where we sail and they have a reputation for being very reliable. In fact, they are simpler than other feathering props because they have no gears. There was a problem with the locking washers on certain years of Autoprops which caused retaining nuts to back off and blades to fall off. There was a recall. Perhaps that is what Fast Bottoms is thinking of?

Other than that, I am not aware of any frequent problem with them. Like any variable geometry prop, you must lubricate them and keep an eye on the seals. If you let the seals go, then of course the thing will deteriorate and eventually blades will come off. That is true of ALL folders and featherers.

MaxProp is another excellent feathering prop. The classic MaxProp was feathering but not self-pitching, unlike the self-pitching Autoprop. Now MaxProp have come out with a self-pitching propellor like the Autoprop. That would also be worth considering if you think Maxprop is a better company. But Brunton is a very ancient company which has made propellors for big ships for more than a century. They have awesome engineering resources and are a solid company. Their customer service leaves something to be desired, I should mention, however.

The one major drawback of Autoprops, in my opinion, is the poor anode design. The anodes fall off after the material is eaten away around the retaining screws. This is solved by antifouling around the screwholes, but it is an irritating defect on such an expensive piece of precision equipment.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:35   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

After a year and $4k mistake, I would second Fastbttms' comment. Sell it and get a real propeller - fixed or if you are hung up on feathering, go with MaxProp.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 16:14   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
After a year and $4k mistake, I would second Fastbttms' comment. Sell it and get a real propeller - fixed or if you are hung up on feathering, go with MaxProp.
Autoprop? What went wrong?

Asking because we met people who reversed, but the boat did not. That was in a posh marina ... They held on to that prop but went thru a lengthy conversation with the manufacturer. I believe in the end they got another one (or theirs fixed). It might have been there was a piece of fishing net or something that made theirs mal-function (in a costly maner).

You may have a look at the Max-Prop Ecowind - I posted a link above.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 09:24   #12

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames

I have enjoyed the autoprop. But when I first boat the boat I suspected something wrong so when I hauled it I realized the bearings were corroded so I too it all apart and ordered new races and bearings. If the prop is left sitting for several months tiny marine animals grow in the bearings and you have to dive and spin each prop blade to free it up. Sometimes a little difficult depending on how long you have gone without running the boat. Over all I like it but I was advised to change over to a fixed blade to minimize problems. Taking it apart myself when I hauled really educated me to this prop. I give it an 8 on a 1-10.
Old 17-10-2011, 09:30   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
I was advised to change over to a fixed blade to minimize problems.
No reason to go back to a fixed-blade prop. All the folding or feathering props from the major manufacturers are robust, bulletproof pieces of gear. Autoprop being the exception.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 09:39   #14

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames

Question I have a spare 3 blade fixed for back up but have no nut for it. Shaft is
1 1/4 (at least those are the anodes I buy that fit). Please advise me on a nut and threads and pin for my fixed blade. I need to buy one but probably have to order from the states. Thanks
Old 17-10-2011, 09:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
If the prop is left sitting for several months tiny marine animals grow in the bearings and you have to dive and spin each prop blade to free it up. Sometimes a little difficult depending on how long you have gone without running the boat.
This is one of the reasons I went with the Max-Prop! They are packed with grease until it oozes out the seams, preventing any water, or sea life, ingress into the works.

But even with that, the growth can accumulate on the outside with lack of use.