Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2022, 10:15   #1

Aquadrive Anti-Vibration Systems

Has anyone here had experience installing, removing, or replacing one of these? Is it an easy bolt-in/out situation? The CV boot on mine has split and I can not find a replacement at this time. Does anyone know where I might find a replacement boot? The manufacturer tells me it's discontinued.

https://imgur.com/a/ihj5iuv
wbarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 21:53   #2

Re: Aquadrive Anti-Vibration Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarrie View Post
Has anyone here had experience installing, removing, or replacing one of these? Is it an easy bolt-in/out situation? The CV boot on mine has split and I can not find a replacement at this time. Does anyone know where I might find a replacement boot? The manufacturer tells me it's discontinued.

https://imgur.com/a/ihj5iuv

I looked at your photo of the installation and it seems like the thrust bearing is incorrectly installed, it will still work ok and there might have been a good reason to have the inboard rubber insulator where it is.... but it also might be the reason your rubber bellows split. I assume the gap on the shaft coupling is because you loosened the coupling bolts to remove the Aquadrive. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4897.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	258494
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 23:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I looked at your photo of the installation and it seems like the thrust bearing is incorrectly installed, it will still work ok and there might have been a good reason to have the inboard rubber insulator where it is.... but it also might be the reason your rubber bellows split. I assume the gap on the shaft coupling is because you loosened the coupling bolts to remove the Aquadrive. Attachment 258494
I appreciate the reply! You might be right, it looks like the rubber bushings aren't where they should be on the side closest to the engine. I never noticed but your photo and my technical drawing confirms this. It was installed with the new engine 1000 hours ago (before I bought the boat). Other than that I can't see any other issues with the install. Have you ever had to get a replacement boot or happen to know where I can?
wbarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 00:32   #4

No I’ve never done one as close coupled as the one in your photo, I’ve done quite a few where the link shaft is visible and the seals are moulded into metal covers held down by those allen bolts but I’m thinking yours might be easier with those hose clips.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 08:20   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Shaft seals are industrial items - Aqua drive is not likely to have made their own. Here are two routes into sources. I found the first through McMaster-Carr and the second by googling "shaft seal." Good luck with it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber-bell...ith-cuff-ends/

https://www.google.com/search?q=shaf...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 09-06-2022, 13:22   #6

I am in the middle of replacing an over torqued stud on my drive. Best site I have found was from Nautical Gator on shrimpfishflorida.com who does a complete teardown and rebuild

Rebuilding My Aquadrive Cv21 | ShrimpNFishFloridaâ„¢ is Florida's Official Anglers Social Networking Communityâ„¢
Capt.Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 13:26   #7

Anyone know where I can get these studs? the are not your average stud type - Ive torn up McMaster-Carr looking for them. Also - is this adapter plate still in production? all the ones I see have inset hexbolts.
So much joy..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220607_164757.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	259296  
Old 09-06-2022, 13:31   #8

Great work around for discontinued boot issue on the AquaDrive using Volvo marine drive shaft boot as replacement:

Aquadrive CV joint repair! - Perfect Sailing