Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2020, 11:35   #1

Anyone recognize this transmission and stuffing box type?

Hello

I'm trying to identify my transmission and stuffing box.

I want to replace the transmission oil or top up what I have.

I would also like to be able to adjust the stuffing box so that I get the proper drip amount and not overhead the seals etc.

This is on a 1974 Perkins 4-180 Westsail 32

Anyone able to identify??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201104_120649.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	227662   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201104_120639.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	227663  

fireman182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 13:16   #2

Boat: Contessa 32
Re: Anyone recognize this transmission and stuffing box type?

I don't recognize the transmission, but it looks like there is a dipstick plug on the port side next to the shift cable. There should be marks on the dipstick indicating the "full" level. The only question is whether the dipstick should be fully screwed in or just resting on the shoulder of the opening--I had to contact the manufacturer of mine to find out which (this info was not in the owner's manual.) Some gearboxes use 30 weight engine oil, others use automatic transmission fluid--you should be able to tell which from the color, but it would be best to check the owners manual.

The stuffing box looks like a conventional Buck Algonquin. If the boat is out of the water, you can take out a segment of the stuffing and try to measure it.

I take it there's no nameplate on the gearbox? Perkins probably used only 1 or 2 gearboxes with that motor.
Old 26-11-2020, 13:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I don't recognize the transmission, but it looks like there is a dipstick plug on the port side next to the shift cable. There should be marks on the dipstick indicating the "full" level. The only question is whether the dipstick should be fully screwed in or just resting on the shoulder of the opening--I had to contact the manufacturer of mine to find out which (this info was not in the owner's manual.) Some gearboxes use 30 weight engine oil, others use automatic transmission fluid--you should be able to tell which from the color, but it would be best to check the owners manual.

The stuffing box looks like a conventional Buck Algonquin. If the boat is out of the water, you can take out a segment of the stuffing and try to measure it.

I take it there's no nameplate on the gearbox? Perkins probably used only 1 or 2 gearboxes with that motor.
Thanks for the reply

The plates on the engine are all unreadable. Same with the gearbox

I'll see if I can dig out a manual. I called perkins, they really wont help me unless I have an engine serial number. I'd need a time machine to get it at this point. The engine is form 1974
fireman182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 13:39   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

The breather and the dipstick look like a Borg Werner velvet drive normally used by Perkins With a reduction gear behind ! If you scrape the paint of the ID plate you will get the correct model number.
Old 26-11-2020, 14:04   #5

Boat: Columbia 36

Yep, looks like the Velvet Drives on my new trawler. Also Perkins powered, 6.354 MGT's. Don't know much about them yet.
capt jgw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 14:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Yep, looks like the Velvet Drives on my new trawler. Also Perkins powered, 6.354 MGT's. Don't know much about them yet.
Great engines and bullet proof gearbox !
Old 26-11-2020, 15:04   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I agree that it looks like a bog-standard Buck Algonquin stuffing box. Armed with that idea and the diameter of your shaft, an enquiry to B-A should reveal the size of the packing material.

Thus, that aspect should not be a problem for you.

Jim
Old 26-11-2020, 20:05   #8

As stated, the transmission is a Borg Warner “velvet drive” probably a 71 series, as that was the common size for use with a 4-108.

The ID plate on the transmission is just ahead of the shift lever and can be seen in the top photo near the engine remote oil filter.

The lubricant used in a BW gearbox is ATF. You should be able to find an owners manual on line without much problem.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 19:36   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 51

BE CAREFUL of internet advice - the lube used in my velvet drive is NOT ATF- it is 30 wt oil- the oil level is checked only after running everything up to operating temp, then shutting down and checking the level-the only way to check properly cold is to get the engine up to temp hot with the oil at the proper level, then let it cool off and mark the dipstick at the appropriate level- use your mark for future cold checks (i swear i am not making that one up- it comes right out of the manual ) you can get manuals for these online pretty easily. my engine is a 6.354 vintage 1981 and i am sure transmission is similar. yours looks similar but not the same- i actually have two dipsticks- one on either side of the tranny.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 20:32   #10

Yes, as Madehn says, be careful of internet advice.

The following is quoted directly from the BW service manual which I easily found on line:

“ Transmission Fluid- Dextron II , Type F, and other transmission fluids which meet the Detroit Diesel Allison type C3 specification are RECOMMENDED for use in all Velvet Drive marine transmissions.
Lubricating oils which are recommended for use in diesel engines and which also meet Detroit Diesel Allison C3 specifications may be used if the engine speed does not exceed 3000 RPM. SAE #30 is preferred but SAE#40 may be used in high temperature applications. “
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 21:04   #11

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman182 View Post
Hello

I'm trying to identify my transmission and stuffing box.

I want to replace the transmission oil or top up what I have.

I would also like to be able to adjust the stuffing box so that I get the proper drip amount and not overhead the seals etc.

This is on a 1974 Perkins 4-180 Westsail 32

Anyone able to identify??

Smooth velvet for sure.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 13:25   #12

Velvet Drive and the oil used should be ATF, preferably Dexron III (Dexron II no longer available) or one of the many substitutes as stated by DougR. Carefully clean off the ID plate (just past the 4oclock position of the oil filter as stated by DougR) and it will tell you which model you have.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 13:34   #13

Regarding the stuffing box, its a rather standard type with the packing inside the nut. The Nut on the left is the locknut and the nut on the right (closest to the engine) will have the packing inside.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission