Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2014, 19:51   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Anybody used Pettit Prop Coat Barrier Spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
Is there a Teflon spray or coating that could be used?
There was some Teflon stuff used back in the 80's but it wouldn't stick to the hull either.

I'd like to use the non-stick, like for frying pans but it has to be baked on at 450 degrees, which would work on a prop if it were applied while off the boat.
Old 16-09-2014, 20:11   #17

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Yes, we applied this about this time last year. It does very well if you are using your boat regularly. It is ablative, so if you are not using your prop you will get growth. We ended up getting a sh*t ton of barnacles on our prop during the last few months in the Mantazas river here in St. Augustine.

I am reapplying it but also intend to use Hydrocoat, which I understand is one of the few ablative water based paints that can be applied on top of other dissimilar paints.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 20:27   #18

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Pettit made a competitor to propspeed called propkote that was a 2-part which worked pretty well on the blades but not the hub or shaft. I suspect it just needed faster water.

The last few years I've been using one coat of Pettit Vivid on the prop and shaft which works well enough here in the northeast US where most people haul out for the cold winters and redo the process before Spring launch. By end of October the coating is a bit sketchy and worn through in spots but no significant growth. I just wire-brush it (fine wire) or use a rotary 3M abrasive pad to get back to smooth and reapply.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 20:43   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Looks like one worth keeping tabs on. Thanks for the info gents.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 19:21   #20

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

It may be of interest to you that there is a new product out under the Lion Protect brand called Prop & Drive. It is much more economical and easy to apply (spray pack). It will be available in Australia soon also.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 20:47   #21

I wanted to report that my application of Hydrocoat SR over the Pettit Barnacle Barrier Zinc spray is still going strong on my prop since this past fall. No barnacles and very little slime. In fact, the prop looks pretty much the same as the day we put her in the water except that the paint has come of the leading edges by about 1/4".

After leaving St. Augustine in the fall we cruised down the Key West and Marathon and spent the winter there. We are now in Eleuthera and the prop looks awesome.
Old 25-04-2015, 21:23   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Just hauled my boat, bottom paint and back in. Last time painted the prop with Trinidad. This time did the barrier coat then bottom paint. I haul out about every three years.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 17:57   #23

Prop barnacle prevention

I have used the same method for the past ten years and never have more than one or two barnacles on my prop or shaft. I clean the stainless steel shaft and bronze prop down to clean metal with a wire brush on an electric drill. Wipe with solvent (acetone) and apply two coats of a non-metallic primer. I have used Interlux Primocon or Interprotect successfully but other non-metallic primers work as well – even Rustoleum primer. I then apply two coats of any available copper based bottom paint and splash the boat. Don't prime or paint under or over the zincs. As I said, little to no fouling after six+ months. I use the boat almost every weekend and motor perhaps for 30-60 minutes total each time we take the boat out. By the end of the season, the paint has mostly worn off the tips and parts of the prop blades but is intact elsewhere.
I have tried this method without the primer and always got bad fouling of the prop and shaft. Interlux outdrive spray works well if used with their primer but is very expensive. I have heard others theorize that the electrolysis current set up between the metal shaft/prop and plain copper paint somehow keeps the copper inactive and thus allows barnacle fouling. A non-metallic barrier coat of primer stops this interaction and allows the copper to inhibit growth.
I sail in the salt waters of Barnegat Bay NJ and keep the boat in Forked River - a somewhat brackish river feeding the bay.
Diamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 04:47   #24

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

This last haul I used Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier aerosol on the removable stainless perforated screens on my Groco APHS strainers.

All my underwater metal was coated with Velox Plus per their instructions.

Both coating treatments are holding up well.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 05:20   #25

Boat: Tartan 40

Was considering prop speed since I started with new prop this season but figured I would rather spend money on divers. Mixed results with spray in past years.
Trying lanocote prop coating this season. I dive frequently to check prop. Can reapply the stuff underwater. Anyone else use it?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 05:31   #26

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
Has anybody used the Pettit Prop Coat Barrer Spray on their propellor?

What are the results?

Is is just snake oil?

How about using it on the gears of folding props?
Are you talking about the Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier? AFAIK it is the same thing as Rustoleum´s Cold Galvanizing from Home Depot that sells for a lower price. I used the latter on a new boat; by the end of the 5000+ mile delivery trip it was still there for the most part. It is not as effective as a proper copper-based antifould but it does teh job for props that are used. Kety seems to be preparation of teh surface, which I did not do very well (applied during a quick lunch haulout, hence no much time available)
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 20:27   #27

Final report on application of hydrocoat over pettit barnacle barrier. Here is my old prop that was treated that way and our new prop on the ground - we are increasing prop size.

We are very pleased that after about 200 hours of engine use after the application of zinc/hydrocoat SR on the prop we still have lots of paint left AND we had great success with keeping barnacles and growth off.

Yes, we did have the occasional barnie and we did get some fuzz when the prop wasn't used for a while but I am impressed. Here is our photo from our haul out a few days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0883.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	123336