Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 20:54   #241
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
What about the Tesla Turbine run off of hydraulic fluid?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:35   #242

Boat: Freedom 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Do you have a specific message in the group you linked to? I cannot find anything in that group except a one line statement about one instance where an installation was not done correctly. Please expound on the suggestion you made that there might be more "negative" aspects of the "e-pod". I am working with a friend who needs something like the "e-pod" and we would like to hear everything we can from those who are using it.
On the electric boats site refer to message 12098. Also see message 11913 and under that one I suggest a read of 11932.

I am not suggesting anything negative, simply suggesting thinking about the opinions of folks who have already walked the walk.
Old 04-11-2009, 17:56   #243

Boat: Tartan 30 (formerly CHAOS) ... no new name yet.
Thanks for the "heads up", Merrick. I checked the messages you noted as well as other postings at the Yahoo site. Until that 12098 posting I hadn't heard of any problems with Re-E-Power or their products .... quite the contrary. I alerted the company via voicemail and hopefully they will reply to said posting.

I did locate another company (Bellman) BELLMANN Drive Technology - Mooier kunt u niet varen with a similar style product ("AquaPod"). Bellman has recently been acquired by Mastervolt.

I am in a holding pattern until things shake out!
Phish Phart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 19:10   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Phart View Post
Thanks for the "heads up", Merrick. I checked the messages you noted as well as other postings at the Yahoo site. Until that 12098 posting I hadn't heard of any problems with Re-E-Power or their products .... quite the contrary. I alerted the company via voicemail and hopefully they will reply to said posting.

I did locate another company (Bellman) BELLMANN Drive Technology - Mooier kunt u niet varen with a similar style product ("AquaPod"). Bellman has recently been acquired by Mastervolt.

I am in a holding pattern until things shake out!
Correction: Mastervolt became a part of Bellmann. The AquaPod looks like a high quality product .... I don't have any pricing info.
Old 04-11-2009, 21:29   #245

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I have been looking through the Bellmann website and they have a wide assortment of marine electric motor types including AC units. The pod versions come in an assortment from retractable to rotatable (steering) to surface mounted. Also they appear to have serious 3-bladed propellers on the pods versus the "trolling motor" type props.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 23:40   #246
cruiser

sail=catamaran,primery power=sail,secondarypower=outboard(4 stroke only), or tons of batteries & 2 eletric motors,but unlike monohulls catamarans don't use ballest so you figure it out.
suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 08:53   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki View Post
sail=catamaran,primery power=sail,secondarypower=outboard(4 stroke only), or tons of batteries & 2 eletric motors,but unlike monohulls catamarans don't use ballest so you figure it out.

Monohulls = sans training wheels

You can always tell a sailor ..... you just can't tell him much!
Old 21-11-2009, 08:13   #248
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
I just read the following on
Green Car Congress: Researchers Develop Solid-State, Rechargeable Lithium-Air Battery; Potential to Exceed 1,000 Wh/kg

Researchers Develop Solid-State, Rechargeable Lithium-Air Battery; Potential to Exceed 1,000 Wh/kg
21 November 2009

Sample UDRI solid-state, rechargeable lithium-air batteries, and Dr. Binod Kumar.
Engineers at the University of Dayton Research Institute (UDRI) have developed a solid-state, rechargeable lithium-air battery. When fully developed, the battery could exceed specific energies of 1,000 Wh/kg in practical applications, the researchers wrote in a paper published online 13 November in the Journal of the Electrochemical Society.
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 22:50   #249

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
Styer Hybrid

Styer told me March '09 they were looking to add a regenerative option to their system by the end of '09. I've asked them for an update and they have yet to respond.

http://www.steyr-motors.com/products/pdf/hybrid.pdf

"Intended initially for displacement craft between 1.5 and 20 tonnes using Steyrs own diesels of between 55hp-285hp, DEHS interposes a 48V motor generator between the engine block and the gearbox. This provides three propulsion modes: plain diesel; pure electric, and boost- during which both the diesel engine and the electric motor drive the propeller - normally for short periods of acceleration. Whenever the main engine is running the generator charges the battery bank. It is also used to start the main engine, eliminating the need for a separate starter motor."
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:29   #250

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet
There is a Steyr parallel hybrid on the newly launched Zogo, built by French & Webb in Belfast, Maine.

I was able to supply the LiFePO4 battery pack which saved them about 600lbs while adding about 20% more capacity than they would have had with AGMs.

OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:20   #251
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
attached is the spreadsheet for weight , capacity and cost comparison between AGM and Life and cost comparison over a 10 year span.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lithium versus AGM comparison.pdf (6.3 KB, 178 views)
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 16:49   #252

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
Styer told me March '09 they were looking to add a regenerative option to their system by the end of '09. I've asked them for an update and they have yet to respond.

http://www.steyr-motors.com/products/pdf/hybrid.pdf

"Intended initially for displacement craft between 1.5 and 20 tonnes using Steyrs own diesels of between 55hp-285hp, DEHS interposes a 48V motor generator between the engine block and the gearbox. This provides three propulsion modes: plain diesel; pure electric, and boost- during which both the diesel engine and the electric motor drive the propeller - normally for short periods of acceleration. Whenever the main engine is running the generator charges the battery bank. It is also used to start the main engine, eliminating the need for a separate starter motor."
I'll be hanging out with the Steyr reps at the Maine Boatbuilder's show tomorrow...so I'll bug them about the regen option! Would make their hybrid drive a pretty cool (albiet expensive) option for cruising.
OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:20   #253

Boat: Sarum 28, unnamed as of just yet... Looking for ideas...
There are 17 pages of this post and the only alternative propulsion method discussed, that i could see, is electric motors... Surely there are others! How about using a kite? Heres proof its been done, Kite Sailing from California to Tahiti - Anne Quemere | YachtPals.com
Any one got any experience? Or those airfoil type mast-sail that Jacque Cousteau had on "Calypso"... Could that be done on a smaller, single mast vessel?
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:45   #254
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
There are 17 pages of this post and the only alternative propulsion method discussed, that i could see, is electric motors... Surely there are others! How about using a kite?
There are only 7 pages to me, but then if you click your optins you can vary the amount of posts per page.

I have mine as Newest first so I am always on thre page that has, well, the newest post first!

As for alternate energies and kites, how about sails. Pretty unique idea, but there ya go

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:53   #255
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
There are 17 pages of this post and the only alternative propulsion method discussed, that i could see, is electric motors... Surely there are others! How about using a kite? Heres proof its been done, Kite Sailing from California to Tahiti - Anne Quemere | YachtPals.com
Any one got any experience? Or those airfoil type mast-sail that Jacque Cousteau had on "Calypso"... Could that be done on a smaller, single mast vessel?
I was thinkin maybe squirrels, on steroids ya know?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propulsion