Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51   #196

Boat: Beneteau 311
Many electrically powered boat use no batteries, same as diesel electric trains.

Batteries are a energy store, no more, and certainly the energy density is not close to diesel.
ctsbillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:54   #197
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
We use a sensor bearing for directional and speed info and can reverse as fast as you can pull the control handle(s) back.
Many other systems also use ac motors because of the higher efficiency. in our case brush less and maintenance free, our controller/amplifier makes ac from dc and dc from ac to recharge.
gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:35   #198

Do you use regenerative from the prop while sailing? I imagine the effect on a boat speed even with regenerative is less than the drag of a fixed prop.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:05   #199
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsbillc View Post
Do you use regenerative from the prop while sailing? I imagine the effect on a boat speed even with regenerative is less than the drag of a fixed prop.
yes we can regenerate while sailing and choose one or 2 props to do so or non at all and we lift the motors out of the water to decrease resistance
Old 10-10-2009, 12:47   #200

Excellent. I've just been browsing your products on the web. Are there any technical white papers published on the technology?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:44   #201
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hallo

we have not published any yet until all the testing is done and the targets verified.
This will be doe before the end of this year and the information can than be seen on
green-motion.com

This site will go online around the 1st of December

If you want any detailed info send your e mail address to gideon@africancats.com
Old 15-10-2009, 11:52   #202
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Anhydrous Ammonia (NH3)

Ammonia is essentially non flammable, and is readily obtained and handled in liquid form without need for expensive and complicated refrigeration technology. Although ammonia contains 17.65% of hydrogen by weight, the fact that there are 3 hydrogen atoms attached to a single nitrogen atom allows ammonia to contain about 48% more hydrogen by volume than even liquefied hydrogen.

That is to say, a cubic meter of liquid hydrogen contains 71 kg of hydrogen, compared with 105 kg of hydrogen for a m3 of liquid anhydrous ammonia.

"Green NH3" is manufactured from simply air and water using clean renewable energy. The emissions from the burned ammonia are nitrogen and water vapor. Ammonia is easily and indefinitely stored as a liquid at about 150 PSI, but quickly turns to a gas when exposed to air.

More ➥ Green NH3 ( Ammonia )

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 12:31   #203

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Now thats Cool...thanks Gord
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 13:17   #204

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Anhydrous ammonia might make a good fuel, but the handling issues are pretty scary. First of all NH3 spontaneously forms ammonium hydroxide on contact with water which is extremely corrosive and forms in the lungs immediately upon inhaling the fumes. There is enough moisture in the skin to do the same. I was in Pensacola Florida in the 70's when a train derailed and a tank car of the stuff leaked. We were luck and the wind was blowing out to sea, but one family that lived between the track and the bay was not. All 5 died a horrible death. Three of them before the rescue teams arrived but two lived a short while. I had a friend who was a respiratory therapist that helped work on one of the survivors. Despite having a full breathing apparatus he received 2nd degree burns on his arms and chest just from the fumes coming off the victim. I know people use this stuff for refrigeration, but in realtively small quantities compared to what is required as fuel. I certainly would not want large quantities of the stuff on my boat.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 13:20   #205

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I should note that this does work as fuel. The X15 rocket plane used anhydrous ammonia and liquid oxygen as fuel in the sixties.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 14:25   #206
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Anhydrous ammonia might make a good fuel, but the handling issues are pretty scary.
It's not inert
Firehouse.Com HazMat Zone - 2002 Hazardous Materials Studies - Handling Anhydrous Ammonia Emergencies

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 16:25   #207

Alternate power

Ammonia is lighter than air, but certainly you do want a leak in your cabin.

Talking about leaks, another recent discovery is that electrolysis of urine liberates hydrogen for a lot less energy than it takes to get it from water.

Urine Broken Down into Hydrogen Using Electrolysis | Experiments | Eco Trees

Maybe there's gold in them holding tanks.

:-)
Old 15-10-2009, 16:53   #208
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsbillc View Post
Ammonia is lighter than air, but certainly you do want a leak in your cabin.
Ummmm . . . I'm guessing that not was inadvertently left out of that sentence.

TaoJones
Old 15-10-2009, 17:09   #209

Ammonia

Ops, sorry. An ammonia leak in a cabin would be pretty rough. This may be why Ammonia is never presented as a viable clean energy source. It may be clean after it has burned, but prior to that it is a distinct health hazard. It a poison gas, basically.
Old 15-10-2009, 20:15   #210

i got a idea ,why not use the electrolite thats right under your keel .just go to the junk yard and load up on all copper and zinc or iron that you can haul back to the dock and place the copper over one side and the zinc or iron over the otherside and conect to a muity meter and see what you get?? you might not be able to weld with it but you play around with the voltage and you might just trickle charge a battery OH almost forgot DON'T leave the outboard in the water ? and only try this if you HAVE a fiberglass hull HAVE FUN YAUL
BarnicleBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propulsion