Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 20:06   #1

Alpha 1 Gen 2 upper gear seal question

Hi all - sorry to ask a seemingly basic question but cant get a good idea from the merc manual on what exactly to do -

Got a kit and helped some1 install new seals - we couldnt exactly figure out where seals go and what direction -

When we took it apart there were 2 seals in the upper drive that we took out from the top - nothing from the bottom.

In the kit were 2 matching seals and also one thicker one that was about 3/4 the thickness of the other 2 combined.

We put in the two matching ones from the kit, one with the lip/spring facing down toward the lower housing, and the 2nd one with the lip/seal facing up toward the upper square cap with the 4 bolts.

I used permatex form a gasket #1 (hard setting/fast drying) on the seals and put everything back together. After about an hour and a half in the hot Socal weather I did a low psi test of 2, and then later a 4 psi test and the whole unit held up perfect.

Anyway - I want to know if we made a mistake along the way? Got conflicting info online where one posted said BOTH lips have to face upwards

I thought we had to install one seal from the bottom, or is that earlier models? And did we just happen to get an extra seal (thicker one - what models does the thicker one go on?)

thanks!
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear