Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2016, 16:48   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
4JH3-TE propshaft spin

Im sailing along, new boat with prop spinning. On my old 3gm30f it was advised not to lock prop shaft by placing in gear. Is this the same with the 4JH3-TE? Yes I could and will research this myself but right now while sailing I thought id throw out there on CF for a quick response.

Cheers Dale.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 02:04   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: 4JH3-TE propshaft spin

We have a 4JH3E on a Jeanneau DS40 launched new in 2003. We have always put the engine in gear when sailing. It was recommended by our broker who really knew boats and an early cruisers until he decided to have a family.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 03:10   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Found this in the archives,

Re: Do you sail with your transmission in gear?
Attached is a more recent and more detailed notice from Yanmar

TECHNICAL BULLETIN
Ref No.: YMTQTBll-017
Date: October 18, 2011
To : Yanmar Marine Regional Head Quarters and All Yanmar marine distributors
Subjects Yanmar Sailboat engine control lever position during sailing under sail with engine stopped

1. Introduction
Yanmar wishes to inform you about the instruction of the control lever position during sailing under sail with engine operation stopped. This instruction is subjected to mechanical type gearboxes and sail drives only.

2. Ooeration instruction
2~1 Mechanical Cone Clutch':
Applicable models: Sail Drive: Models SD 40, SDSO and SD50-4T
Marine gear: Models KM2P, KM35P, KM35A and KM4A

When mechanical cone clutch type gearbox or sail drive is equipped with the following propeller:

a. Fixed propeller:
When sailing under sail with engine operation stopped put control lever into Neutral. The output shaft keeps rotating.

Notice:
When control lever is put in Reverse position, cone slippage will be introduced and void your warranty and there is possibility that the clutch doesn't disengage. This can be a problem for engine re-starting.

There are options to stop free rotation of propeller-shaft if customer doesn't want occur noise from rotating propeller:

1) For sail drive: install folding propeller or Feathering propeller instead of fixed propeller.

2) For marine gear: install the Shaft-Lock device, Yanmar does not supply, on the propeller shaft.

b. Folding propeller: (including GORI Over-drive propeller)
When sailing under sail with engine operation stopped put control lever into Reverse position, this to operate the folding propeller to fold close blade and output-shaft stops from rotating. After this operation put the control lever back into Neutral.

c. Feathering propeller:
When sailing under sail with engine operation stopped put control lever into Reverse position, this to operate the feathering propeller into feathering position and output-shaft stops from rotating. After this operation put the control lever back into Neutral.

2~2 Other Mechanical clutch:
Applicable model: Sail Drive: Model SD20, SD31 (Dog clutch type)
Marine gear: Model KBW10, KBW20, KBW21
(Mechanical single or multi disc clutch)

When mechanical dog clutch or mechanical disc clutch is equipped with the following propeller:

a. Fixed propeller:
When sailing under sail with motor stopped put control lever into Neutral. The output shaft keeps rotating.
Notice:
When control lever is put in Reverse position there is a possibility the clutch does not disengage. This can be a problem for engine re-starting. There are Options to stop free rotation on propeller shaft if customer doesn't want occur noise by rotating:

1) For sail drive: install folding propeller or Feathering propeller instead of fixed propeller.

2) For marine gear: install the Shaft-Lock device, Yanmar does not supply, on the propeller shaft

b. Folding propeller: When sailing under sail with engine stopped put control lever into reverse position, this enables the folding propeller to fold close blade and output-shaft stops from rotating. After this operation put the control lever back into neutral or remain reverse position as you like.

c. Feathering propeller: When sailing under sail with engine stopped put control lever into reverse position, this enables the feathering propeller into feathering position and output-shaft stops from rotating. After this operation put the control lever back into neutral or remain reverse position as you like.
Notice:
Do above mentioned operations with a boat speed <3knts when sailing under sail with engine operation stopped.

Shuji Ando
Manager, Overseas Group
Quality Assurance Department
Marine Operations Division
Yanmar Co. ltd

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 07:19   #4

Boat: Privilege 435

I am aware of this instruction from Yanmar so I sail with my fixed props freely rotating on the saildrives. You can hear them rotating very clearly from inside the boat. However, this seems so counter-intuitive. Surely I am just adding needless miles to the life of the drive. The drive is spinning just as if being turned by the engine, oil seals are getting worn, teeth are slowly grinding...
If I lock the props by putting them in gear and nothing is moving, apart from the slightly reduced speed of the boat, I struggle to see how this can damage the drive.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 03:53   #5

Boat: no boat any more

I wonder how a clutch - cone or plate - can slip when in reverse: the dirction of torque is the same as when motoring forward
we had a cone-clutch that slipped when sailing in forward, you could actually feel the temperatur of the gearbox rising
some years ago the 3GM30-saildrives had dog-clutches, so these should be alright in forward and reverse
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 06:25   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

Double,

As I understand it the cones require pressure to engage securely. Without the engine turning the gears this pressure isn't enough so the cones slip and they overheat.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote