Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2014, 01:58   #1

Yachtmaster Offshore

I am planning to do a Yachtmaster Offshore course this year in the US (where I am based). The main reason is personal interest, it seems the best-suited Captain's license for a cruiser given the emphasis on sailing and practical skill.
I was wondering what commercial options are available with this license, especially when adding STCW-95? Is this commercial endorsement worth anything in US waters? In other countries? What are some specific commercial opportunities one can pursue with this license?

Thanks.
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 02:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yachtmaster Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominny View Post
I am planning to do a Yachtmaster Offshore course this year in the US (where I am based). The main reason is personal interest, it seems the best-suited Captain's license for a cruiser given the emphasis on sailing and practical skill.
I was wondering what commercial options are available with this license, especially when adding STCW-95? Is this commercial endorsement worth anything in US waters? In other countries? What are some specific commercial opportunities one can pursue with this license?

Thanks.
Charter skipper, Yacht (posh) skipper, Delivery companies will happily hire you.. one can stop being freelance...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 02:45   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Charter skipper, Yacht (posh) skipper, Delivery companies will happily hire you.. one can stop being freelance...
You are also approved upto 300tons MCA approved vessel , so superyachts etc.

Approved of course doesn't mean you know anything about superyachts !

Dave
Old 22-01-2014, 02:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yachtmaster Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You are also approved upto 300tons MCA approved vessel , so superyachts etc.

Approved of course doesn't mean you know anything about superyachts !

Dave
Yeah.. not a sad 22metre.. 80GT buga like me...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:36   #5

Re: Yachtmaster Offshore

Thanks.

Anyone else has any real-world experience with a Yachtmaster license? How did it help you getting a marine job?
tominny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 16:16   #6

The Yacht master is widely recognised and accepted by many countries.
there are two varieties.
Both can be just for your own interest or can be accepted by the British MCA which with the added commercial exam and STCW 95 medical and emergency requirements be used commercially.
The RYA Yacht Master is the original and most widely recognised. Based in the UK with a couple of locations in US
There is also a IYT Yacht Master they have a more locations in US and are based in Florida.
The level of knowledge required to meet the standard is high.
Technically both when combined with the MCA requirements are British Commercial Yacht Licences. Valid for use on British commercial boats.
They are accepted by many other countries. For use on their vessels.

According to the IYT website 17 countries.
What IYT don’t mention is America is not one of the 17.
To find work on an American boat you will need an American licence though.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 00:08   #7
Nearly an old salt

Yachtmaster Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
there are two varieties.
Both can be just for your own interest or can be accepted by the British MCA which with the added commercial exam and STCW 95 medical and emergency requirements be used commercially.
The RYA Yacht Master is the original and most widely recognised. Based in the UK with a couple of locations in US
There is also a IYT Yacht Master they have a more locations in US and are based in Florida.
Technically both when combined with the MCA requirements are British Commercial Yacht Licences. Valid for use on British commercial boats.

British commercial boats, excluding those involved in the carriage of freight or ( some) passengers for reward.

Dave
Old 24-01-2014, 08:55   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
there are two varieties.

IYT is based out of Kelowna British Columbia. If you check out Maritime Institute out of San Diego you will find they have a course that covers IYT Master of Yachts and USCG 100 and you would be set. It includes STCW. @$3500 last time I checked for all that. I would recommend the sea time before applying. You have up to a year after but have to retake course if you don't get the sea time within a year. Remember that Master of yachts is commercial and yachtmaster is recreational under IYT. I prefer IYT over RYA. Just my thoughts though. Both are MCA recognized.
Old 09-02-2014, 13:16   #9

Quote:
I am planning to do a Yachtmaster Offshore course this year in the US (where I am based).

YM Offshore is an exam-based qualification ("certificate of competency"), not a course. You can take a preparation course - typically one week long - before challenging the exam, but it is not required.

Quote:
The main reason is personal interest, it seems the best-suited Captain's license for a cruiser given the emphasis on sailing and practical skill.

I think it will meet your objectives nicely. It is not a licence per se (and none is required for cruising on your own boat), but the exam will certainly ensure that your practical skills are up to snuff.

Quote:
I was wondering what commercial options are available with this license, especially when adding STCW-95? ... What are some specific commercial opportunities one can pursue with this license?
If you add on the MCA commercial endorsement, you will be legally qualified to command red-flagged yachts >200 tons, within 200 nm of a port of refuge. That said, most newly-minted commercially-endorsed yachtmasters start off as deckhands.

Quote:
Is this commercial endorsement worth anything in US waters?
Due to Jones Act restrictions, I recommend obtaining a USCG licence if you intend to work in US waters.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 15:28   #10

Boat: Various

We both went the USCG Captains licensing route. We have our first tickets but still a long way to go to where we eventually expect to end up. We are doing it strictly for personal use, no intent on any other purpose. We love the learning process and between that and learning from our Captains of our boats, we intend to gather as much knowledge and develop as many skills as possible. There are many excellent schools. We use MPT and have been very pleased.

Boating is our passion so we want to know all we can. We get a lot of actual experience and on-the-boat training separate from the courses, but still value the courses. We intend to continue to pursue courses over the years to expand our knowledge even into some areas that may seem to have little value to us. Now this approach is probably not right for most people, but we enjoy it. Things like some of the medical courses or firefighting we hope never to use, but they could also save a life one day.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 04:01   #11

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane

Which school are ylu planning to attend

Sent from my LIFETAB_S9714 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-04-2014, 04:32   #12
Nearly an old salt

Yachtmaster Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
IYT is based out of Kelowna British Columbia. If you check out Maritime Institute out of San Diego you will find they have a course that covers IYT Master of Yachts and USCG 100 and you would be set. It includes STCW. @$3500 last time I checked for all that. I would recommend the sea time before applying. You have up to a year after but have to retake course if you don't get the sea time within a year. Remember that Master of yachts is commercial and yachtmaster is recreational under IYT. I prefer IYT over RYA. Just my thoughts though. Both are MCA recognized.

I know some of the Irish guys that started it originally , like all good Irishmen , they got right up the RYAs noses when the RYA realised it couldn't copyright it's term In the US.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13-04-2014, 04:34   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We both went the USCG Captains licensing route. We have our first tickets but still a long way to go to where we eventually expect to end up. We are doing it strictly for personal use, no intent on any other purpose. We love the learning process and between that and learning from our Captains of our boats, we intend to gather as much knowledge and develop as many skills as possible. There are many excellent schools. We use MPT and have been very pleased.

Boating is our passion so we want to know all we can. We get a lot of actual experience and on-the-boat training separate from the courses, but still value the courses. We intend to continue to pursue courses over the years to expand our knowledge even into some areas that may seem to have little value to us. Now this approach is probably not right for most people, but we enjoy it. Things like some of the medical courses or firefighting we hope never to use, but they could also save a life one day.

Does the USCG course cover sailing vessels ?

Dave

Old 13-04-2014, 04:42   #14
Nearly an old salt

Yachtmaster Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svanen View Post
YM Offshore is an exam-based qualification ("certificate of competency"), not a course. You can take a preparation course - typically one week long - before challenging the exam, but it is not required.

I think it will meet your objectives nicely. It is not a licence per se (and none is required for cruising on your own boat), but the exam will certainly ensure that your practical skills are up to snuff.

If you add on the MCA commercial endorsement, you will be legally qualified to command red-flagged yachts >200 tons, within 200 nm of a port of refuge. That said, most newly-minted commercially-endorsed yachtmasters start off as deckhands.

Due to Jones Act restrictions, I recommend obtaining a USCG licence if you intend to work in US waters.

One correction MCA endorsed , allows < 200 tons and either 150 or 200 miles depending on country

If you add 4 STCW95 courses. the qualification is recognised commercially on other countries

MCA YM endorsed ocean ( but you must have offshore ) , removes the distance restrictions ,magain stcw95 allows third party country recognition.

The Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence can be used commercially in its own right, but is also a pre-requisite for the MCA's Master 200, Chief Mate, Master 500 and Master 3000 qualifications.

Another poster mentioned Jones ACt, I don't believe jones act applies to leisure vessels, commercially operated or otherwise. Not that many superyachts are registered in the US.

Dave

Old 13-04-2014, 05:07   #15

Boat: Seadog 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
One correction MCA endorsed , allows < 200 tons and either 150 or 200 miles depending on country

If you add 4 STCW95 courses. the qualification is recognised commercially on other countries

MCA YM endorsed ocean ( but you must have offshore ) , removes the distance restrictions ,magain stcw95 allows third party country recognition.

The Yachtmaster Ocean Certificate of Competence can be used commercially in its own right, but is also a pre-requisite for the MCA's Master 200, Chief Mate, Master 500 and Master 3000 qualifications.

Another poster mentioned Jones ACt, I don't believe jones act applies to leisure vessels, commercially operated or otherwise. Not that many superyachts are registered in the US.

Dave

In addition to the above you will also need a GMDSS & a HELM ticket for an MCA Masters ticket.
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, offshore, yacht