Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2013, 07:54   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
... Its alot of paperwork and forget it if you.either have heart or health issues or have ever had a dui.
Or color blind.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 07:58   #32

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Thankfully I have none of the issues you list. Is there any relative benefit to a USCG license versus a private license (I saw private license referenced earlier and it too is one of the many topics I know nothing about)

JJK
Jjk2783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 07:59   #33

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Or color blind.
Lol true the vision test was fun...its interesting how the seaschools never talk about the health and background requirements, they just want the $$$
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 08:02   #34

Ouch now you are hitting close to home... I am "moderately red-green (of course!) deficient". Don't know if that is a show stopper...
Old 25-12-2013, 08:03   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjk2783 View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Thankfully I have none of the issues you list. Is there any relative benefit to a USCG license versus a private license (I saw private license referenced earlier and it too is one of the many topics I know nothing about)

JJK
The uscg lic allows you to work / capt in the US, Usvi, etc, and oerform deliveries of vessels going to the US. Pretty sure its recognized internationally but not 100% the benefits of other countries. I have had many decent job offers as a result of my lic. Just not ready for a couple of years. And need to get my Stcw.
Old 25-12-2013, 08:08   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjk2783 View Post
Ouch now you are hitting close to home... I am "moderately red-green (of course!) deficient". Don't know if that is a show stopper...
Youd be well advised to take the eye test i think its a 23 panel? Eye test for.Colors etc. Might be able to find it online.
Old 25-12-2013, 08:12   #37

Thank you again!
Old 25-12-2013, 10:24   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Wanting To Setup A Small Sail Charter Business

Jj, a license is issued by a regulatory agency, not a private party. So there are no private captain's "licenses" in the US. There may be various certifications sold by private parties for private uses, but captains' licenses only come from the USCG here.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 10:44   #39

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
Anyone who is sitting for a master's license (tonnage) is wise to also sit for an Able Bodied Seaman's license.

The time requirements can be very similar, as is the exam, and they used to be covered in the same exam with only additional elements.
Actually it is the other way around... If you qualify to be an Able Seaman you will normally qualify for a 100-ton, after testing.

Also Able Seaman are qualified members of the Deck Department, but are not LICENSED.

To apply for an Able Seaman's Certificate you have to also have completed requirements for a Lifeboatman Certificate. Both certificates require testing and proof of seamanship skills.

You can also do these through Mariner Schools... One week for Able Seaman and another for Lifeboatman.

Qualifications for an Able Seaman Certificate are listed in 46 CFR 12.05-7

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 13:30   #40

Boat: Skookum 53'

Used to get a separate card for AB, now it is an endorsement on your license book. If you want to run over a 6 pack, there used to be a fire retardant resin requirement for glass boats, I don't know if that is still in force or scrapped, this was back in the late 70s. My family ran sailing charters out of Molokai back in the early 80s, and after 5 years finally started to show a profit, by then everyone was burned out and we shut it down. Fishing charters, seem to be a better bet financially. At least when I was involved in the industry, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
Old 20-04-2014, 12:26   #41

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

What's best school to get AB cert? I heard good one in San Diego.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 15:27   #42

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
What's best school to get AB cert? I heard good one in San Diego.
I took my AB School and Unlimited Radar Course through Maritime Institute and my Lifeboatman Course through Training Resources Ltd., Inc., both are in San Diego a couple of blacks from each other.

Both are great schools!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 19:59   #43

Boat: Seawind 1000

Hi all,
I followed through your responses with interest and just wished Australia was as flexible as US.
Before I have to start another thread I hope some readers with Australian knowledge have been following your posts as I am involved in a bareboat charter business on the east coast of Australia and would like certification to meet a new demand for skippered charters of 6 to 12.
It would seem I have two options
1. Coxswain NC1 (Aust law NSCV part D) which covers up to 12m, which is enough for me..or
2. RYA Yachtmaster Off shore and Ocean Certificate of Competence with Commercial endorsement which covers up to 24 m (sorry guys I mean 80 ft)

What I need to know is will the Australian Coxswain Qualification also cover me world wide if I skipper a paying customer charter, or even charter a boat privately in Europe, or even USA if its dollar ever stops floating up against the Australian.
Or do I have to bow to the colonial master and do the RYA course which has far more documented off shore sailing trip requirements which in my case was mostly more than 30 years ago could be difficult for me to find documentation.
phalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:55   #44

I'm trying to set up a charter business on my Pearson 36-2. I have my captains license. The USCG requires a Coastwise Endorsement and to get that I need Build Evidence for the Pearson. Any ideas on how one gets that info from a company that is no longer in business?
RUNGNAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, sail