Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 09:27   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: WANTED: Sailing Expertise & Mentorship

In Annapolis there is a organization called the Annapolis Sailors Club. It started as a Meetup group, and it's main function is to bring boatless novice and experienced sailors together with boat owners who need crew. It's very successful, with probably over 200 members by now and strong participation on the part of the majority of them. There are social events throughout the year as well as seminars organized for novice sailors. There are also weekend and longer cruises organized through the club, and many boat owners, even if they are not members, will ping the club if they are looking for crew.

I'd be surprised of Ft. Lauderdale did not have something similar. It would be without a doubt the easiest, least expensive, and probably the most fun way to pursue what you're looking for.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:32   #17

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

You might like to give Seven Seas Cruising Assoc (SSCA) a call. They're right in Ft Lauderdale and I know many cruisers (some circumnavigators) that are "grounded" and would love mentoring someone.

Many years ago we decided to stop in their office as we were on the ICW - just to meet them, and there were 3 people doing a mailing and about 5 people hanging about reminiscing. Some very respectable sea miles represented there.

Just an idea - good luck to you!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:42   #18
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

I am Doug have a 31 foot Gemini catameran, I am in Panama City FL. Not close but not far if you want to sail and learn a few things. Not that I am expert but can teach you a few things if you willing to come north. contact if needed would love to teach and sail and be friends!! Doug
doug45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:02   #19

Boat: 2009 Leopard 40

Wow - thank you and thank you and thank you! All great suggestions...now excuse me as I go look up the SSCA! :-)
ascarswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:04   #20

We're a tad far from Panama City, Doug, but if we're headed north, I'll definitely look you up! Thanks for the gracious offer.

I did the Gulf Coast 70.3 Ironman triathlon a few times when we lived closer to Panama City Beach - I remember the soft sand beaches there with fondness!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:26   #21

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Oooops - I just Googled SSCA and it appears they've moved to Coral Springs - no longer FLL.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:04   #22

Boat: Boatless

Coconut Grove Sailing Club is the place to start. It is a friendly place with great teaching programs and multiple members who are willing to take people sailing. The teaching runs from beginer children to bareboat level. Once qualified the use of the 2 Club Beneteaus is $50/month.

The Commodore is a delightful lady who has done a great job encouraging sailing and organizing renedvous to the Bahamas. Write to Janicepruett @ gmail.com. Tell her about your ambitions and that you got the advice via the forum from Phil & Nell On Moon Dancer. Normaly we would take you and the family sailing but our boat is 14,000 nm from home.

Good look and enjoy!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:21   #23

Just walking the docks and talking to sailors might wind up with an invite for a day sail. Lots of pleasant people around who would,look forward to having some crew for a day.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:18   #24

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I would get some sailing dinghy time for the wife and child, it's important to have some basic first hand knowledge on how a boat sails, and then you can much easier apply that to the complexity of multiple sails on a larger boat. If my boat was ready to go and I was closer, I'd offer both the dinghy and some time on a larger boat. I've also got windsurfers and sailing rigs for a canoe. I'm not at all happy with the sailing canoe except for canoeing, I've done a lot of that.
Old 05-01-2017, 16:31   #25

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

If you can sail a CL16 and a Laser you can sail anything, put the 9 year old on the wheel and just go.....................we did and we're still alive
Bill

QUOTE=ascarswell;2294938]Hi there,

This is my first of what I hope will be many on this forum!

My wife, along with our 9-year old daughter, are planning to try our hand at sailing. Specifically, we're hoping to embark on a couple years of cruising the Caribbean, maybe more if all goes well. I grew up sailing dinghies (CL-16, Lasers, etc), was an avid windsurfer, and crewed on mid-sized boats in races in the Great Lakes. HOWEVER, it's been about 25 years since I've had the pleasure of sailing. My wife has NEVER had the experience. My parents always had power boats growing up, and we've owned three small 25'-ish power boats, but never a sailboat.

Given that we figure comfortably living aboard a boat will put us in the 38' - 44' range, we're a bit intimidated by the idea of managing a vessel of that size, let alone one that requires sailing knowledge and experience. So, as we move forward with dreaming and planning, we were hoping to connect with someone who might consider taking us on as a bit of a pet project - literally showing us the ropes (or, um...lines?!?). We understand that there are companies that offer 'charters' - but are hoping for a more organic relationship with someone who is passionate about sailing, loves to share that passion with others, and has some time/resources (ie, a larger sailboat) available to get us started on the right foot. We're happy to help with costs and even pay for someone's time - it's just we feel that charter services might be a little too focused on the bottom line and less so on holistically teaching us what we need to be successful in our sailing adventure.

If you're interested in chatting, please send me a PM. I'd love to start with a 1/2 day sail, just to entice our family to want more and to get to know you and your vessel. We live in Fort Lauderdale, FL, so plenty of boats around!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
Adam[/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:13   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Ft. Lauderdale Cruiser's Breakfast (SSCA)
Details: Meets every Sunday morning at 8 am Eastern time

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:22   #27

I saw that on the SSCA website just last night, Gord! I'll be there with big ears, ready to listen and learn...and have some greasy bacon 'n' eggs! ;-) Will you be there?
Old 06-01-2017, 06:48   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarswell View Post
I saw that on the SSCA website just last night, Gord! I'll be there with big ears, ready to listen and learn...and have some greasy bacon 'n' eggs! ;-) Will you be there?
Not since 1999.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:28   #29

Hi, I will be in Fort Lauderdale area at a marina later this month from the 13th to the 18 doing some work on my sailboat. Always looking for crew to do some local day sailing. You can email me at dgarcesatyahoodotcom and we could share phone numbers and talk further.
dgarces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 14:45   #30

Thanks dgarces - I'm going to email you right now with my contact info...

Cheers,
Adam

Tags
men, sail, sailing, wanted