Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2021, 04:06   #16

Re: UK based and allowing for Covid restrictions what's the best navigation etc cours

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
...the subject of restaurants should highlight the criticality of navigational theory to yachtspeople in tidal areas. Visitors to Newtown Creek (for example) would be ill-advised to book a table at the New Inn, Shalfleet without being able to perform secondary port tidal calculations.
Right on, Muttnik.

And we instructors create just such examination questions during your RYA tuition!

Bwah-ha-ha!

(I don't care what you say, Boatie, Poole has the best curries ever.)
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 14:35   #17

Re: UK based and allowing for Covid restrictions what's the best navigation etc cours

Hi JulianECB, Greetings from Pyrenees Orientales in Southern France.
Whilst I'm sure online coaching may suffice you may want to look at buying CD's or DVD's to work on you're own and at a pace to suit.
I've found "Coastal Navigation" from www.maritimecd.com and "Mike Ferro's Shorebased Course Companion" from Shorebased Course Companion Home very helpful.
Rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 15:07   #18

Boat: Beneteau 50

I agree with what has been said about doing RYA navigation courses. I did RYA Day Skipper Theory, which is mostly about navigation. If this is all new to you, as it was to me, it can be a bit of a blur with a lot to take in.
I recommend you plan a lengthy journey you can navigate fairly soon after completing the course, otherwise if you don't use it you will lose it.
I have just completed a delivery of over 500nm as navigator, and happy to say we didn't come to grief in any way. It really cemented the theory, and I feel much more confident than after just doing the course.
Old 31-01-2021, 15:16   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Visitors to Newtown Creek (for example) would be ill-advised to book a table at the New Inn, Shalfleet without being able to perform secondary port tidal calculations.
Ha, the Gun pub on the Solent's north bank has a similar problem a huge stand at high water for 5 hours then its gone in a flash. We planed this one honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
(I don't care what you say, Boatie, Poole has the best curries ever.) LittleWing77
Sadly its all changed a bit and the days of rafting 6 deep against Poole Town Quay are long gone, replaced by an expensive marina and some second rate quay restaurants. Weymuff still good though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	231683  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 19:34   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK based and allowing for Covid restrictions what's the best navigation etc cours

Quote:
Despite being the venue for meetups of the YBW Scuttlebutt forum (keeping this post boaty :-), Brick Lane is more associated with serving groups of drunken office workers who really don't care which restaurant they end up in than discerning diners.

The UK's south coast is not known for outstanding cuisine from the subcontinent but referring back to both Pete7's post and the original post, the subject of restaurants should highlight the criticality of navigational theory to yachtspeople in tidal areas. Visitors to Newtown Creek (for example) would be ill-advised to book a table at the New Inn, Shalfleet without being able to perform secondary port tidal calculations.
Things must have changed a lot since the 90's early 2000's when I used to go there.. one of the few restaurants outside Tooting that did 'Desi' food was there and I was one of the few white faces that used to eat the fresh green chillies they sprinkled in the curries..
They have the best Indian Sweets shops in Tooting as well.. Garjar Halwa, Gelabis, Gulab Jamuns, Barfi.. and proper Samosas and Pakoras..
Portugal is hell..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 20:33   #21

I responded to the OP's "So any ideas on what I can be getting on with allowing for Covid restrictions."
I can't see that taking [further?] lessons or going sailing with folks outside of ones "buble" can be done.
Hence my recomendation to prepare for the real deal by doing some self tutoring using CD's / DVD's.
Rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 22:52   #22

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

you say "navigation" but don't indicate what kind

celestial? well, the age of the sextant is pretty much behind us, although I do know how to do it and I still take some sights to ensure that our 8-10 diverse GPS devices on board are functioning correctly (yeah - right). We (my wife also knows how to use a sextant and plot our position) do it mainly for fun.

Terrestial? so, what is your starting point? Do you know how to read a chart? Do you know your Colregs? Can you plot a position on a paper chart using only landmarks and a compass?

Chart plotters have almost made that kind of old-fashioned terrestial navigation passé

Don't get me wrong - I think is is absolutely essential that a skipper knows terresstial navigation - looking at screen or telling the autopilot to "go there" is not navigation

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:01   #23

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Ha, the Gun pub on the Solent's north bank has a similar problem a huge stand at high water for 5 hours then its gone in a flash. We planed this one honest

Sadly its all changed a bit and the days of rafting 6 deep against Poole Town Quay are long gone, replaced by an expensive marina and some second rate quay restaurants. Weymuff still good though
6 deep? Try 10. The skipper called me a hero when he found me on deck at 3 am (naked under my oilskins - it was lashing down) struggling to fit a fender between us & the inside boat. I didnt tell him the banging was keeping me awake in my saloon berth..

I always did like Weymuff. Still do.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:08   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK based and allowing for Covid restrictions what's the best navigation etc cours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post

I always did like Weymuff. Still do.
Just don't arrive at 4am in January, the Customs men will be banging on your hatch and waking you for a search at 6am..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 21:37   #25

Boat: Currently no boat but interested in Leopard 44

Quote:
There's no need to join the RYA to do the training. As you are probably aware the RYA don't deliver courses, licensed training outfits do (and it's them you pay your money to).
That was part of the reason I asked on here... I wasn't really sure how it worked... but I understand now.

cheers
JulianECB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 21:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rver View Post
I responded to the OP's "So any ideas on what I can be getting on with allowing for Covid restrictions."
I can't see that taking [further?] lessons or going sailing with folks outside of ones "buble" can be done.
Hence my recomendation to prepare for the real deal by doing some self tutoring using CD's / DVD's.
Thank you that was exactly what I wanted...
Old 08-02-2021, 21:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
you say "navigation" but don't indicate what kind

celestial? well, the age of the sextant is pretty much behind us, although I do know how to do it and I still take some sights to ensure that our 8-10 diverse GPS devices on board are functioning correctly (yeah - right). We (my wife also knows how to use a sextant and plot our position) do it mainly for fun.

Terrestial? so, what is your starting point? Do you know how to read a chart? Do you know your Colregs? Can you plot a position on a paper chart using only landmarks and a compass?

Chart plotters have almost made that kind of old-fashioned terrestial navigation passé

Don't get me wrong - I think is is absolutely essential that a skipper knows terresstial navigation - looking at screen or telling the autopilot to "go there" is not navigation

I plan to use the most current methods... BUT I already have a book on celestial navigation and plan to get a sextant and use it as a back up and as an interesting thing to do. I gather though that the modern methods are far more acurate and that sextants give you more of an approximation plus or minus X rather than an exact location.

Tags
navigation