Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 11:15   #1

Training and experience

Good morning. I currently have my ASA 101-104 certification which I learned in one week in the San Juan Islands last year. After this week I was HOOKED! My wife will be attending this July as we are preparing to unite the lines in about five to six years to do some offshore cruising when we retire.

With that said, I would like to gain more training and experience in sailing before leaving. We live in Nevada so we do not own a boat (yet).

Besides paying a lot of money to learn to sail and gain the experience that we will need, is there another way? Do private boat owners and skippers take on people like us to teach if paid? I am just having a hard time with thinking about paying $7000-$8000 per week for the two of us to gain the experience through an ASA course which is really only geared towards chartering.

Not trying to be cheap about it, just needing to know the best way to go about this. Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 11:25   #2

Re: Training and experience

Don't they have lakes in Nevada? Seriously, learning to sail on smaller boats is extremely worthwhile.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 12:18   #3

I would be willing to let you come and stay on and sail my boat on the Chesapeake for a week or two in exchange for some work done on it? For example, you pay for a haul and a bottom paint and have my head rebuilt. I have a clean 27' Watkins with a 3'8" draft (great for the Bay), a diesel engine, at a nice marina...Herrington Harbor North. Would that interest you?
Matt_Watkins27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 20:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Don't they have lakes in Nevada? Seriously, learning to sail on smaller boats is extremely worthwhile.
We do have many small lakes and have been looking for something like a macgregor to sail on to train and retain the basics. I'm thinking more in line of the experience you gain in bigger water and taking our basic knowledge to the next step.
Old 18-05-2017, 20:04   #5

Thanks for the offer Matt but we live in Nevada. Haha. That'd be a hell of a trip

Tags
enc