Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 15:11   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On a sphere in a planetary system
Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Posts: 724
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

I would ask the op if he would tip for a series of night school classes? If not, it would seem to be unnecessary to tip for a series of sailing classes.
In the end, it is your money, spend as you like.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 15:21   #17
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virgin Islands
Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Posts: 1,345
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Tipping is not required in the BVI. Some big-spender American types like to tip in their swanky upscale resorts to hopefully show how important they are but in beach bars, little restaurants and for people you are already paying a butt-load of money too? FORGET IT.
Simple. Does the credit card receipt have a tip line on it? No, then don't tip. If it does draw a line through it and save your copy because some places will write in an amount and you'll find out when your get your next statement.

I take it you don't live in the BVI.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 15:55   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Sausalito, CA
Boat: Alerion Express 28
Posts: 264
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

I have been an instructor and a charter captain in the Bay Area. As the former, I never expected or received a tip; as the latter I generally receive a very generous tip. Thank-you.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 16:22   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bellingham, WA
Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Posts: 919
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

10% to 15%
Tip both instructors divided by days.

Really depends on the school and situation.
Some of the week long classes I instructed consisted of six 5am to Midnight days which included cooking; spending a day cleaning and then doing it again while sleeping in the worse bunk. It can be hard work especially after a month or so with no days off.

Some instructors, like some waiters, rely on tips, others don't.

You can always ask or not tip at all. I doubt if those who disdain tipping have ever had their rent depend on it. Many cultures have quit tipping but the wages normally reflect that.

Bad service should never get a tip.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 16:44   #20
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 13,807
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
...You can always ask or not tip at all. I doubt if those who disdain tipping have ever had their rent depend on it. Many cultures have quit tipping but the wages normally reflect that.
Thatís exactly the point. People should be paid properly for their work.

And I think youíve got the cultural trend wrong. Itís not that cultures have quit tipping, itís that most have never done it. The cultural change is where wages are being replaced by tips ó mostly in the USA and those areas so dominated.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 17:56   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bellingham, WA
Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Posts: 919
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thatís exactly the point. People should be paid properly for their work.

And I think youíve got the cultural trend wrong. Itís not that cultures have quit tipping, itís that most have never done it. The cultural change is where wages are being replaced by tips ó mostly in the USA and those areas so dominated.
When I lived in Paris during the early 70 a tip would be included in your bill unless you were standing at the bar. Service compris or service non compris. The culture concerning tipping has definitely changed in Europe.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:48   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montreal
Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Posts: 402
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss32 View Post
We are planning to take an 8-day ASA "fast-track" course that includes staying on the boat in the BVI for 7 nights, but spending the first 2 days/nights at the marina and completing the ASA 101 course on a small keel boat with one instructor, and then spending 5 days/nights out sailing on the larger boat with another instructor. What is customary regarding tipping, and on what total should the tip be based? The total cost of the entire trip, or just the "course fees"? Any guidance would be quite helpful. Thank you.

7 days to do 101,103,104 and 114.
I would'nt worry about the tipping but about the quality of the school
That is a ton of stuff to learn in a few days.
In general people will retain about 10% of the material given to themÖ

IMO you can't fast track Learning. You can only extend it.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:12   #23
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 13,807
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
When I lived in Paris during the early 70 a tip would be included in your bill unless you were standing at the bar. Service compris or service non compris. The culture concerning tipping has definitely changed in Europe.
Yes, apparently the tip was officially incorporated into the standard bill ("service comprisĒ) in France back in the 1950s. It acknowledges that this is not an optional charge, or an actual tip. It is a charge for service. As I understand it, servers are paid reasonably well in most European countries as a result.

Tipping in the USA has gone through the opposite cultural evolution. It was essentially verboten up until the mid-late 20th century. As one article puts it:

Quote:
The United States didnít adopt tipping until the early 20th century, viewing the practice as inconsistent with values of equality and democracy. Kerry Segrave writes in his book, Tipping: An American Social History Of Gratuities, that business owners considered the practice akin to a bribe.
Hereís a humorous, but surprisingly accurate little video that goes through some of the history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=q_vivC7c_1k
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:31   #24
Registered User
 
SV Bacchus's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Back on dirt in Florida
Boat: Currently in between
Posts: 1,338
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

We had a captain on board Bacchus when first purchased. He lived with us four days and brought nothing on board but his expertise. We paid for all provisioning, which we should. The couple of times we went in for lunch or dinner, i.e. practice docking in adverse currents and adverse winds, what the heck, the marina restaurant was right there, we paid for everything. Wife went nuts with food, nice thick steaks for dinner as an example.

Long story short at the end we did not tip.

The captain was paid a handsome amount for his service, it was his company so what went back into the company and what went into his pocket was his choice. Very good food on and off the boat was his bonus. After all it could have been PB&J on the boat and nothing off..

PS: This was in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, high dollar and typically high tipping area. We are not from there..
__________________
SV Bacchus - Living the good life!
SV Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:25   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bellingham, WA
Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Posts: 919
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, apparently the tip was officially incorporated into the standard bill ("service comprisĒ) in France back in the 1950s. It acknowledges that this is not an optional charge, or an actual tip. It is a charge for service. As I understand it, servers are paid reasonably well in most European countries as a result.

Tipping in the USA has gone through the opposite cultural evolution. It was essentially verboten up until the mid-late 20th century. As one article puts it:



Hereís a humorous, but surprisingly accurate little video that goes through some of the history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=q_vivC7c_1k
The history is interesting, but if you are a poor full time student working in the food industry to accommodate your schedule living on top ramen and told that you should accept tips as part of you income expectations, history doesn't matter. I was born in 1947 and grew up in a culture where anyone who didn't tip in a restaurant (assuming good service) was a cheapskate and selfish. There were exceptions like the officers or country club. I didn't create that world. It's just the way it was. Tipping is very situational.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:41   #26
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 13,807
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
The history is interesting, but if you are a poor full time student working in the food industry to accommodate your schedule living on top ramen and told that you should accept tips as part of you income expectations, history doesn't matter. I was born in 1947 and grew up in a culture where anyone who didn't tip in a restaurant (assuming good service) was a cheapskate and selfish. There were exceptions like the officers or country club. I didn't create that world. It's just the way it was. Tipping is very situational.
Not arguing any of that. The point is, tipping as a means of paying workers is a terrible method. The food service industry has long been lost to this approach, but it is rapidly spreading because of the benefits it brings to businesses.

This is why it should be resisted in new areas like tipping an instructor.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 05:37   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Boat: MacGregor 26
Posts: 263
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

We tipped 10% of the course cost to the captain.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
asa

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Currently on ASA 101/103/104/114 certification trip Hoosierdoc Training, Licensing & Certification 10 16-06-2019 07:34
Who has taken the ASA 101/103/104 exams? KeepInTune General Sailing Forum 32 11-10-2018 19:59
New to the forum. Have taken ASA 101 103 104. Duckman Meets & Greets 9 01-01-2014 20:16
Asa 101, 103, 104 and 114 Lajos Training, Licensing & Certification 7 02-01-2013 15:01

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.