Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 15:11   #16

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: Tipping for ASA 101, 103, 104, 114?

I would ask the op if he would tip for a series of night school classes? If not, it would seem to be unnecessary to tip for a series of sailing classes.
In the end, it is your money, spend as you like.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 15:21   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Tipping is not required in the BVI. Some big-spender American types like to tip in their swanky upscale resorts to hopefully show how important they are but in beach bars, little restaurants and for people you are already paying a butt-load of money too? FORGET IT.
Simple. Does the credit card receipt have a tip line on it? No, then don't tip. If it does draw a line through it and save your copy because some places will write in an amount and you'll find out when your get your next statement.

I take it you don't live in the BVI.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 15:55   #18

Boat: Alerion Express 28

I have been an instructor and a charter captain in the Bay Area. As the former, I never expected or received a tip; as the latter I generally receive a very generous tip. Thank-you.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 16:22   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

10% to 15%
Tip both instructors divided by days.

Really depends on the school and situation.
Some of the week long classes I instructed consisted of six 5am to Midnight days which included cooking; spending a day cleaning and then doing it again while sleeping in the worse bunk. It can be hard work especially after a month or so with no days off.

Some instructors, like some waiters, rely on tips, others don't.

You can always ask or not tip at all. I doubt if those who disdain tipping have ever had their rent depend on it. Many cultures have quit tipping but the wages normally reflect that.

Bad service should never get a tip.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 16:44   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
...You can always ask or not tip at all. I doubt if those who disdain tipping have ever had their rent depend on it. Many cultures have quit tipping but the wages normally reflect that.
That’s exactly the point. People should be paid properly for their work.

And I think you’ve got the cultural trend wrong. It’s not that cultures have quit tipping, it’s that most have never done it. The cultural change is where wages are being replaced by tips — mostly in the USA and those areas so dominated.
Old 10-04-2019, 17:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
That’s exactly the point. People should be paid properly for their work.

And I think you’ve got the cultural trend wrong. It’s not that cultures have quit tipping, it’s that most have never done it. The cultural change is where wages are being replaced by tips — mostly in the USA and those areas so dominated.
When I lived in Paris during the early 70 a tip would be included in your bill unless you were standing at the bar. Service compris or service non compris. The culture concerning tipping has definitely changed in Europe.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:48   #22

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss32 View Post
We are planning to take an 8-day ASA "fast-track" course that includes staying on the boat in the BVI for 7 nights, but spending the first 2 days/nights at the marina and completing the ASA 101 course on a small keel boat with one instructor, and then spending 5 days/nights out sailing on the larger boat with another instructor. What is customary regarding tipping, and on what total should the tip be based? The total cost of the entire trip, or just the "course fees"? Any guidance would be quite helpful. Thank you.

7 days to do 101,103,104 and 114.
I would'nt worry about the tipping but about the quality of the school
That is a ton of stuff to learn in a few days.
In general people will retain about 10% of the material given to them…

IMO you can't fast track Learning. You can only extend it.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:12   #23

Quote:
When I lived in Paris during the early 70 a tip would be included in your bill unless you were standing at the bar. Service compris or service non compris. The culture concerning tipping has definitely changed in Europe.
Yes, apparently the tip was officially incorporated into the standard bill ("service compris”) in France back in the 1950s. It acknowledges that this is not an optional charge, or an actual tip. It is a charge for service. As I understand it, servers are paid reasonably well in most European countries as a result.

Tipping in the USA has gone through the opposite cultural evolution. It was essentially verboten up until the mid-late 20th century. As one article puts it:

Quote:
The United States didn’t adopt tipping until the early 20th century, viewing the practice as inconsistent with values of equality and democracy. Kerry Segrave writes in his book, Tipping: An American Social History Of Gratuities, that business owners considered the practice akin to a bribe.
Here’s a humorous, but surprisingly accurate little video that goes through some of the history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=q_vivC7c_1k
Old 11-04-2019, 08:31   #24

Boat: Currently in between

We had a captain on board Bacchus when first purchased. He lived with us four days and brought nothing on board but his expertise. We paid for all provisioning, which we should. The couple of times we went in for lunch or dinner, i.e. practice docking in adverse currents and adverse winds, what the heck, the marina restaurant was right there, we paid for everything. Wife went nuts with food, nice thick steaks for dinner as an example.

Long story short at the end we did not tip.

The captain was paid a handsome amount for his service, it was his company so what went back into the company and what went into his pocket was his choice. Very good food on and off the boat was his bonus. After all it could have been PB&J on the boat and nothing off..

PS: This was in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, high dollar and typically high tipping area. We are not from there..
Old 11-04-2019, 10:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, apparently the tip was officially incorporated into the standard bill ("service compris”) in France back in the 1950s. It acknowledges that this is not an optional charge, or an actual tip. It is a charge for service. As I understand it, servers are paid reasonably well in most European countries as a result.

Tipping in the USA has gone through the opposite cultural evolution. It was essentially verboten up until the mid-late 20th century. As one article puts it:

Here’s a humorous, but surprisingly accurate little video that goes through some of the history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=q_vivC7c_1k
The history is interesting, but if you are a poor full time student working in the food industry to accommodate your schedule living on top ramen and told that you should accept tips as part of you income expectations, history doesn't matter. I was born in 1947 and grew up in a culture where anyone who didn't tip in a restaurant (assuming good service) was a cheapskate and selfish. There were exceptions like the officers or country club. I didn't create that world. It's just the way it was. Tipping is very situational.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:41   #26

Quote:
The history is interesting, but if you are a poor full time student working in the food industry to accommodate your schedule living on top ramen and told that you should accept tips as part of you income expectations, history doesn't matter. I was born in 1947 and grew up in a culture where anyone who didn't tip in a restaurant (assuming good service) was a cheapskate and selfish. There were exceptions like the officers or country club. I didn't create that world. It's just the way it was. Tipping is very situational.
Not arguing any of that. The point is, tipping as a means of paying workers is a terrible method. The food service industry has long been lost to this approach, but it is rapidly spreading because of the benefits it brings to businesses.

This is why it should be resisted in new areas like tipping an instructor.
Old 23-04-2019, 05:37   #27

Boat: MacGregor 26

We tipped 10% of the course cost to the captain.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa