Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2019, 17:47   #1

Boat: Tanzer 22
Thinking of chartering a catamaran and hiring an ASA instructor.

My wife and I want to learn to sail with in a live aboard situation. ASA 101, 103, 104, 114. We have looked at the many sailing schools that offer this, but we are now exploring the option of chartering a boat and just hiring an instructor for a private course. How would I go about finding an ASA instructor for private hire? Also thinking about doing it in Tahiti early 2020.
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 19:43   #2

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Re: Thinking of chartering a catamaran and hiring an ASA instructor.

Bluewater sailing school in Ft. Lauderdale does this. It's rather spendy at $9000 for a week on board their Island Spirit 37. If you want a bigger boat, that's no problem as long as you don't mind another few thousand dollars.

I hired an ASA instructor to teach my girlfriend on our boat. This was outside the school, there were no written tests, and didn't come with any certifications. Otherwise the instruction was the same. The price of course was much, much less.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 20:05   #3

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

About 7 years ago, my son and I took ASA 101, 104 and 114 Cat classes. Here is the link for Sailing Florida in St. Petersburg. The prices are there too and you can make it into a week with a few days on your own. https://sailingflorida.com/st-peters...sa-curriculum/

I now have about 18k blue water miles and deliver boats. I just got back from a safe 30 day Cat bareboat charter in the Windwards all possible with the foundation training of a good school. It is not sufficient to be a competent and safe sailor, but it does provide you a good start to build your experience.
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 13:40   #4

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

LTD sailing is a great Outfit in Grenada , they also do flottila ASA trips in the fall in locations around the world
Old 21-05-2019, 08:47   #5

Boat: 40' Leopard

Look at thee moorings program . I did a brush up course for cats and they were great
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 09:01   #6

Boat: Catalina 36 1987

I offer sailing charters around the world. I am not an ASA instructor but I've been sailing 50+ years and chartered over 24 catamarans.

I have my USCG Master 100 ton license.

I can teach you A LOT!
www.joyridecharters.com for list of upcoming trips. You can buy a bunk or charter a boat with your group, I can captain. My rates are a lot less.
compassrose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 09:09   #7

Boat: None

See my resume at 'www.sandstrom.org/avocation.htm'.
GolfDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 09:29   #8

Boat: Leopard 40 / Moorings 4000

Take a look at Cruise Abaco, this is pretty much what you are looking for.

https://cruiseabaco.com/
tmccaffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 10:28   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

PM me....I do that.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 13:41   #10

This is a great idea for a cruising vacation. It is less so for learning to sail; as it is best to learn on the smallest mono-hull possible.

By their nature; most catamarans are larger with multiple (and more complicated) systems to be concerned with. For example; anchoring without a windlass or bridle allows the wannabe sailor to actually feel the effect of wind; waves; and current. Consequently the student learns the "why" behind the action and can better apply the knowledge to other situations. It is quite complicated to anchor a catamaran and weigh the anchor without a windlass.

This is vastly different from just pushing a button and hoping that the boat stays put. Remember; it is not a question of if a windlass will fail. It is a question of when. The basics of all skills are essential.

Another example of a necessary skill is the MOB procedure. To be best prepared; it is necessary that the person left aboard be able to effect the recovery single-handed. After all; many folks sail as a couple.

Too often catamarans are poorly setup for this procedure. The winches may not be in close proximity to the helm. The equipment may be difficult to reach. It may be difficult to see over the deck to the MOB. And; catamarans just don't respond to minor sailing changes with the same swiftness as a mono-hull.

If a person chooses to sail on a catamaran; they must allow for these deficiencies and know how to handle them. But it is much better to learn the basic skill with as few complications as possible. Then the skill level can be enhanced to be better able to effect a rescue on a larger vessel.

It is worth noting the ASA developed a training vessel (Beneteau 22: ASA sail training boat) specifically for ASA 101. It is basic and not complicated by systems that have nothing to do with sailing.

To this simple country boy; it is far better to learn the skills of ASA 101; 103; and 104 on a mono-hull. If you've really learned the skills; you'll be able to readily transfer that knowledge to a catamaran.

I have never heard of a charter company that requires ASA 114 to charter a catamaran. Sure; it's good knowledge and should not be dismissed. But if you really know the how's and why's; you can figure it out yourself.
JohnSporck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 18:01   #11

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
My wife and I want to learn to sail with in a live aboard situation. ASA 101, 103, 104, 114. We have looked at the many sailing schools that offer this, but we are now exploring the option of chartering a boat and just hiring an instructor for a private course. How would I go about finding an ASA instructor for private hire? Also thinking about doing it in Tahiti early 2020.
My wife and I did exactly what you are considering and it worked out extremely well. You will learn a whole lot more, faster and more comprehensively with private instruction on your own boat or a boat you have chartered for the purpose.

We have a 2012 Leopard 39 Catamaran in Deale, Maryland at the Shipwright Marina, in excellent condition with all the amenities: 4 cabins, two heads, water maker, ice maker, solar panels, generator, air conditioning, etc. I have a friend who is a very experienced ASA instructor, and a 100 ton licensed delivery captain with extensive Catamaran experience who lives aboard his own boat in the same marina. He sailed with me on board our boat on a trip to the Bahamas in March and I can personally vouch for his competence. If you are interested I would consider chartering our boat to you for a week this summer, with my friend as the captain/instructor. Deale Maryland is about 40nm from Annapolis and has easy, immediate access to the Chesapeake Bay, a great place to learn to sail. It's not Tahiti but would certainly prepare you thoroughly for chartering a catamaran there on your own. PM me if you're interested. Aloha.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 19:00   #12

Thanks for the replys. PMs have been sent
Old 21-05-2019, 19:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSporck View Post

I have never heard of a charter company that requires ASA 114 to charter a catamaran.
This is interesting. Can anyone else confirm this statement?
Old 22-05-2019, 12:38   #14

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
This is interesting. Can anyone else confirm this statement?
Prior to buying our own catamaran my wife and I chartered catamarans from Sunsail and DSL Yachting in Tortola and St. Lucia respectively. They did not require ASA 114 or any other ASA courses for that matter. We did have to provide a brief resume of our sailing and boating experience however. If your sailing and boating experience is minimal then having ASA courses up to and including 114 is definitely a plus.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 12:50   #15

If you want to learn to sail, then I would simply sail.

If you want to be taught how to sail, ask a friend.

If you want to pay a professional, hire a sailing instructor.

If you want certificates to plaster your walls, go the ASA certification route and pay a school.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, catamaran, charter, tahiti