Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2008, 15:43   #1

Students - One Week Virgin Islands Sailing & Cat Training - FUN! - ASA 101-104

My girlfriend and I are looking to find a few people who want to join a sailing instructional course in the British Virgin Islands. It takes place November 1 through 7 and it's run by Marina Sailing, which is one of the oldest and most respected sailing schools in California. Basically, you get your ASA (American Sailing Association) certifications 101 through 104 from an ASA certified master instructor. 101 is basic sailing, 103 is coastal cruising, and 104 is the bare boat chartering standard by the ASA. Once you have it, you can basically charter any bare boat charter (within limits) anywhere in the world. It also includes catamaran training (asa 114). I grew up sailing but I want to make sure I've refreshed all my information, heavy weather training, safety, etc. so I think this will be a great way to do it. The cost is dependent on how many students we get, but the current price is around $1895 per person. If we get enough people, it could be less, though airfare is up to you. It would cost near that much anyway to get your certifications here in California, and of course, this is a week vacation cruising to several islands and pristine snorkeling/diving spots in the British Virgin Islands on a gorgeous, new catamaran. We're looking at a 38 or 40 footer. They also teach provisioning, etc. so it's more than just sailing, and it should be a blast. The itinerary suggests there will probably be some good ol' Caribbean partying involved as well. We need three or four more people at least to round out the trip so we can go. If we don't have enough, the sailing school can't cover the cost of the charter of the boat and send the instructor. Please PM me if you would like to talk about it and I can send you to the Marina Sailing page that explains the trip. It should be a blast.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, license, sailing school, training, Virgin Islands, bareboat