Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 21:54   #1

Starpath Coastal Navigation course, worth the price?

1st sailing forum post for me, and of course I'll make it a newbie question

I want to get ASA105 certification sometime this year, in order to take ASA106. My local school (Puget Sound sailing institute) offers an ASA105 class that's basically a $75 take home book/DVD, plus another $50 exam fee. My friend recommend Starpath coastal navigation course, which is $279, and I wasn't even sure if it includes the ASA105 exam.

My question is, is the Starpath course so much better that it's worth the extra $200 for the material alone?

Thanks everybody!
skyfire1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:58   #2

Re: Starpath Coastal Navigation course, worth the price?

Also interested. skyfire1201 if you got Starpath course, is it worth?
Usersail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 08:50   #3

Boat: AFC 16 / Looking for keelboat

I'm not the original poster, but I'm currently enrolled in the course, so I'll chime in.

There are a couple of ways to purchase the starpath course. At least one is just the course and doesn't come with any certification. But purchasing it through ASA comes with the certification exam attempt included (and is thus more expensive).

The course content seems fine. Since it's a self-study course, the learning is mostly from the book, with some supplemental content (PDFs, articles, etc.) online. There are online quizzes after each chapter, and there are web forums where you can ask questions.

It's self paced, so you can do it as fast or slow as you want, as long as you finish within a year. (I think you can buy additional time if you need it, but I'm not certain)

The only thing I have to say about it that isn't positive (but it isn't really negative either - I'd consider it neutral) is that the entire online part of the course is built off of an old web forum package, so I find it a bit "clunky". But it does work, so it's not really a deal-breaker for me.

If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them.
Bill_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 11:51   #4

I've read that 105 is harder to pass than the 101-104 classes.

I haven't done 105, but I took the NauticEd Coastal Navigation class which I think covers basically the same stuff. I had passed the ASA 101-104 tests easily but found the Coastal Nav test challenging. I understood the concepts (I think) but in some cases I found it hard to get the accuracy needed and ended up with answers that didn't match the choices.

You could use the NauticEd class as some cheap practice to supplement the 105 training materials. The course is $39 and you can buy the chart and plotting tools for another $39 (if you need tools).
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:03   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

Are there any other schools in your area? Many schools offer 105/106 as a combined course, which then teaches 105 hands on, which is a better way to do it. Basically 4 students, while sailing down the California Coast, would take turns taking sights, then going below plotting a fix. Rotating through all the different types of fixes. A night section included radar, navigating by lighted marks, and anchoring in the dark.

Maybe ask your school why they don't do this, as they could charge more money for the course.

The materials I received for 105 (which at the time did not include a CD) were very good, concise and complete, it's just the practice that is needed to really learn it. I have no idea about Starpath.
Old 08-03-2023, 16:47   #6

One of the most useful items for coastal. is a hand held RDF.(Radio direction Finder)
Around the coast there are mutiple radio staions AND lots of airports. ALL transmit position and ID. Local Weather etc. A good sounder or lead weight on marked rope. and RADAR.
Just remember to add coastal deflection on chart. We learned the old way. Compass. Bino's. charts and "List of Lights". The MOST important volume to have on ALL vessels Going coastal
Covers EVERY light. Channel Marker and nav pole in coatsal waters. (K Edit for Aust)
mrcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 16:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire1201 View Post
1st sailing forum post for me, and of course I'll make it a newbie question

I want to get ASA105 certification sometime this year, in order to take ASA106. My local school (Puget Sound sailing institute) offers an ASA105 class that's basically a $75 take home book/DVD, plus another $50 exam fee. My friend recommend Starpath coastal navigation course, which is $279, and I wasn't even sure if it includes the ASA105 exam.

My question is, is the Starpath course so much better that it's worth the extra $200 for the material alone?

Thanks everybody!
I doubt it. A well established school with have a good course book. And probably somebody you can talk to if you need to.

Doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with starpath other than the additional cost.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 19:42   #8

And when you done all your studying and paperwork. Go to a coupla sailing clubs and chat (buy a drink or two) to the old sailors there.
There are a lot of tricks in Nav. Sextant and otherwise, to make it easier for you.
We did it the hard way. (Mistakes) and a good one will tell you a lot. Also compare Marine Tables and aero tables. BOTH get you there. but Aero Tables are a lot less complex. REEDS Sets of books probably one of the better ones. I'm 20+ yrs out of it. (eyes/Balance)
Still have plath and Davis backup Sextants too.
My Plath came from an old mate sailor back in the '70's in UK. It was old then but they are all adjustable for variations. Just make sure you adjust to suit BEFORE using.
If you starting in sailing too. a better book is "Seamanship for the cruising Yachtsman"
written by Richard Simkin
mrcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 20:53   #9

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

Starpath course is pretty awesome, if you just want to take a course and get a sticker, take the ASA, you will get the basics, and you will pass the test and get your cert.

If you really want to learn, and you have the time and effort to spend maybe 3 to 12 months studying and taking in some really interesting points, take the Starpath. You could pass parts the USCG captains license test based on things you will master in the Starpath course, and so much more.

Unfortunately the website is a bit clunky as others have said, but it’s fine once you get used to it.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 01:21   #10

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarson View Post
And when you done all your studying and paperwork. Go to a coupla sailing clubs and chat (buy a drink or two) to the old sailors there.
There are a lot of tricks in Nav. Sextant and otherwise, to make it easier for you.
We did it the hard way. (Mistakes) and a good one will tell you a lot. Also compare Marine Tables and aero tables. BOTH get you there. but Aero Tables are a lot less complex. REEDS Sets of books probably one of the better ones. I'm 20+ yrs out of it. (eyes/Balance)
Still have plath and Davis backup Sextants too.
My Plath came from an old mate sailor back in the '70's in UK. It was old then but they are all adjustable for variations. Just make sure you adjust to suit BEFORE using.
If you starting in sailing too. a better book is "Seamanship for the cruising Yachtsman"
written by Richard Simkin

Not sure that the Coastal Navigation course the OP is looking to do would get into Celestial Nav, Sextants, etc
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 11:42   #11

The Starpath online courses are discussed in detail at this link, which includes extensive reviews, in depth instructions, along with how you interact with the instructor, the instructor scored quizzes for each lesson, support videos and so on. There have been many thousands of students take the courses, so there is a searchable data base of questions and answers that extends back about 20 years. https://www.starpath.com/catalog/cou...rses_index.htm
DavidBurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:11   #12

Boat: AFC 16 / Looking for keelboat

Since this popped back up, I guess I could post an update.

I finally got around to finishing the Starpath Coastal Nav course, including taking the exam. I'm currently waiting on ASA to send me my sticker.

My impression is that the Starpath material goes more in-depth than what is required by the ASA standard. So if you're just wanting the ASA cert to check off a box, then there may be cheaper ways to do it. But if you want to actually learn navigation, then I don't think you can go wrong by taking the Starpath course.
Bill_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:32   #13

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

Almost six year old question from a person with just one question. Would be interesting to hear where they are now.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, price