Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 14:29   #1

Question South West Florida Schools

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here on cruisers forum. I'm moving to Fort Myers, FL in less than a month from Colorado. I have very limited sailing experience but huge future sailing aspirations and am looking for a good sailing school where I can earn a foundation of knowledge that I can build upon. So far I have been looking at "Offshore Sailing School" and "Florida Sailing & Cruising School" primarily. Does anybody have any feedback on either or both of these schools or other schools in the area? Is there a better/cheaper way to learn these skills? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Juliette Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 14:38   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: South West Florida Schools

Just my 2cents, a better cheaper way to learn sailing is on a dinghy. Buy a sunfish to practice on, pay for a few lessons to get the basics down. This won't teach you passage makeing or navigation but will teach you to feel a boat. the rest will come in time and you won't have to learn a million things all at the same time.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 15:24   #3

Thanks Sailmonkey for your prompt response. I agree with you advise, perhaps I should have been a little more specific when I said that I have "very limited experience" in my initial post. I actually joined a sail club on a local lake a couple years back and have taken informal lessons with club members on sunfish, snipes, lasers, and J-22s. I guess I'm trying to bridge the gap of small lake boat sailing to reach the point where I can handle a larger boat, on a larger body of water, for longer passages with confidence.
Old 01-03-2012, 15:53   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Ahhhh, very well
I'll bow out now and let the Floridians fill in their favorite ASA schools.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 16:47   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Could be some folks looking for help for daysails down there !! I think I would walk the docks and talk to some folks and I think you mite be suprised !! we in the past always took young folks along when we did some raceing and daysailing ! we had to learn once and try to help others and its a lot of fun to see them smile !! try it you never know what might happen !! have fun !! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 17:36   #6

Thanks bobconnie, I will try it. It could be a good way to pick up some of the skills I want to learn and meet up with some of the local sailors at the same time.
Old 01-03-2012, 19:11   #7

Boat: Lagoon 420

I took ASA 101 & 103 from Capt. Richard Ham at Sail Marco, Marco Island, FL in January 2009. Link attached. I'd recommend him. Good Luck!

Sail Marco Sailing Instruction, Private Lessons and Crewed Charters Marco Island Florida
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:43   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Juliette.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:24   #9

Thanks everybody. I think I will see if I can make a few contacts for crewing with somebody that doesn't mind having a novice on board and then maybe go see some of the local schools in person if it seems like it would benefit me a lot.

Tags
florida