Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 18:25   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Question Six-Pack Expiration?

I took a captains course, sat and passed the six pack with sailing offshore, and towing endorsements. My question is : I never went to actually get my license from the CG and now my sea time has expired. I assume I have to restart the whole process over again, is that correct? I took my test in 2003 and should have my hours back up within a year.
Thanks,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 19:11   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
I don't know if you sat, in a R.E.C. for your licensing test, if you did, they should have made it out at the time you passed. If you went through a school, they should have the record of your documents being processed, and the result, you have a one year grace period after the expiration date on your license, to renew, you will have to submit the usual, letter of seatime, you need 1 year of on the water time during the 5 year period of your license, or 240, 12 hour days, that sea time can be on any type of vessel, and it does not have to be continuous. You will also need the physical using the USCG form for the doctor to fill out, a drug test from an approved lab. Ect... You can find out all of the requirements from their web site, sorry I don't have their link, I just type in USCG in google and the one I want usually comes up. Now you have to go to the R.E.C. for electronic finger printing, photos, etc, I am not sure, but I believe you will also have to get your TWIC, Transportation Workers Identity Card. I don't know if that would apply if you are working charter boats etc, but if you are towing you will need it for any port that you enter. If you can get with the school that you originally went to and they can bring you up to speed on all the changes that have come to pass in the last couple of years. It seems like every year now they have new hoops for us to jump through in order to maintain our licensing.
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 20:09   #3

Thanks for the info, I'll call the school. I did get that paper work and now I remember them giving me that "you have one year speech". I forgot what a pain in the butt it is so I may just let it go. I don't need it, I did it just to see if I could, and I could. That is probably enough for me, though once in a while I get a know-it-all that throws their license at me to trump a point.
Thanks again,
Erika
Old 06-06-2009, 20:29   #4

You Bet.
Old 06-06-2009, 21:56   #5

Boat: Farrier f27
As far as I'm concerned licenses don't mean a lot.

If someone is trying to impress you with a sixpack or 100 ton license well that and $4 will get you coffee at Starbucks.

Your ability will be self-evident in the way you take care of your boat & handle it when you are out, there are plenty of great women sailors.

Your competence is between you, your boat, the wind & the sea.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 22:20   #6

True enough, the license doesn't make the mariner. There are plenty of people out there who hold a license that shouldn't.
And there also a lot of them that don't need to talk about their credentials to know their own worth. If when aboard the vessel one is in command of; one needs to wear a hat that says "Captain" then one is not truly in command. And then there are those whom have never taken the challenge and gone to the effort of gaining credentials and yes jumped through all the little nonsense hoops; that sit back and throw rocks. Absolutely your demeanor, carriage, and how you attend your craft speaks volumes above a ticket.
Old 06-06-2009, 23:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
As far as I'm concerned licenses don't mean a lot.

If someone is trying to impress you with a sixpack or 100 ton license well that and $4 will get you coffee at Starbucks.

Your ability will be self-evident in the way you take care of your boat & handle it when you are out, there are plenty of great women sailors.

Your competence is between you, your boat, the wind & the sea.
I would feel a little more comfortable with a person with an unlimited masters license in command of a 950 foot container ship coming at me at 26 knots than an unlicensed pleasure boat yachtie as master of the same ship. Licenses do indeed matter. That's why licenses exist, to prevent that exact scenario.

I'm not saying all licensed people know more than all those who are not licensed. I am saying that licensed people at least meet specific experience criteria, qualification criteria and knowledge criteria. You would not put your typical yachtie in charge of the watch of a ship nor would you probably put your typical ship captain on the helm of a small sailboat. Its the licensing though that to a degree discenrns who is qualified for what though.

Those that say licenses don't matter have probably never stood on the bridge of a large ship and experienced the knowledge it takes to do that job nor sat for an unlimited tonnage, any oceans, Masters, Mates or Chiefs ticket.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 23:45   #8

Me too. Though in that scenario, unless the vessel is in a congested area or coming into an anchorage, the Master is rarely on the bridge, depending on the time of day, you are either dealing with the Chief Mate, 2nd Mate, or 3rd Mate. The Master does not stand a watch. Having said that, a lot of the Mates hold Master Unlimited licenses. Sorry about the thread drift.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:35   #9

I totally agree with ya'll. I guess as a women, I get a little more raised eye brows and a doubtful looks about what I can and can't handle and I get a little tired of it at times. I am a very caution person and not one to jump in and get in over my head, many people interpret this caution with ignorance-but that is my own ego problem. It only crops up once in a while, It happened a lot more when I was younger.
Maybe this is something for the "woman" forum

Erika
Old 07-06-2009, 16:41   #10

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
To the original point, if you took the test at an "approved" school there is a time limit between passing the test and applying at the REM. I think it is one year, but the info is available on the USCG web site. If not call your closest REM and ask them.

I think you are up for another physical, drug test, CPR and first aid card, and new test before applying for the ticket.

Lots of threads already on the forum dealing with the value of having a ticket and its non-relationship to seamanship ability.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 13:46   #11

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Licenses are useful for charter and commercial work. Unfortunately, they become more expensive and more aggravating to renew. You also now need the new TSA's TWIC ID card, which has not been a smoothly administered program.
If I understood your post, and you never obtained your original license back in 2003, I believe you would have to retest since you are not "in the system" (didn't give the CG the money so were never licensed). If you don't plan to use the license to make money, I wouldn't bother.

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote