Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2022, 13:32   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: RYA training centers recommendations in Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
I guess you could got to any RYA school. Or.

If you are Swiss, why not get a Swiss Sea License? Which is a Swiss ICC. Which will give you an internationally recognized certificate you can use.
There is a Swiss Cruising Club who do courses. Cruising Club Suisse(CSS)

Voile Evasion have also have partnered with RYA schools all over Europe. Listing Greece South Of France Corsica as places where RYA partners can offer both RYA and Sea License.

Might be worth while contacting them. I don’t know anything about them just came up on google for Swiss ICC.

Google ICC got me the international criminal court.

You want the International Cruising Certificate which google tells me in Switzerland is the Sea Licence.

just be aware if your country is a signatory to UNE40 then it can only issue an ICC to its nationals, so most europeans cant get an ICC via the RYA course
Old 03-03-2022, 18:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
just be aware if your country is a signatory to UNE40 then it can only issue an ICC to its nationals, so most europeans cant get an ICC via the RYA course
According to the website they have partnered with some RYA schools and if you take the RYA course at one of those RYA centre’s. The Swiss will issue you a Sea Licence. Presumably you have to be Swiss.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2022, 02:36   #18

Boat: Vancouver 27'

I did RYA practical in Gocek/Fetiyeh Turkey with Colin Jaquiss at Sunsea Yachting. It was a wonderful place to sail and he was patient, pleasant and a good teacher. Turkey had inexpensive accomodations and food. sunseayachtingturkey@gmail.com

In Europe I did a theoretical RYA course with Rob Clark at RUSailing, in Lagos Portugal. Rob is as good as it gets. His Partner Jules is amazing and super helpful as well. rob@rusailing.com

RYA vs ASA? RYA goes deeper and more intensely into Navigation, tides and currents. MUCH deeper. This makes the theoretical for me...tough.

Fabulous riches? LOL. These guys live the life and in return make little. You lease a 40 foot boat, pay the moorage, fuel and maintenance, food, cleaning and then take 3-5 people out for 5 days and 3 nights for 795 Pounds and then look at your retirement account. That's 159 pounds a day per person, LESS the expenses, some sort of RYA fee (small I am betting) and your wage.

Compare that to a Hotel room and meals and nothing else.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 09:47   #19

@intikee I'm also currently in Switzerland, and looking at getting an introduction to sailing, potentially through a course. Did you end up working something out?
mikexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 02:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikexavier View Post
@intikee I'm also currently in Switzerland, and looking at getting an introduction to sailing, potentially through a course. Did you end up working something out?

Not quite. A member here was very nice and took us for a sail but we haven't done a course yet. Open to suggestions if you find anything Something that looks interesting is sailwithus.de which is a company organizing charters, more or less. Maybe that's an option? But they don't do RYA or anything like that AFAIK.
intikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 17:20   #21

I’ve heard that Allabroad Sailing in Gibraltar is pretty good from various people.

I’m sort of in a similar situation as you are and will most likely pick something in Palma mostly due to how easy it is to fly over seeing as the Germans love Mallorca

If I may hijack this thread for a minute;

Anyone familiar with the German licenses have some reference to obtaining your ICC with your SBF See license? Apparently according to Wikipedia it comes with the license, but the SKS has a specific section about it essentially being an “international license” which I’m assuming are two different things?

If I wanted to bareboat charter, would it make sense to do the day skipper course on top of the SBF or does the SBF suffice (along with your SRC cert of course)? What is the bare minimum?
jsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 07:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by intikee View Post
Not quite. A member here was very nice and took us for a sail but we haven't done a course yet. Open to suggestions if you find anything Something that looks interesting is sailwithus.de which is a company organizing charters, more or less. Maybe that's an option? But they don't do RYA or anything like that AFAIK.
We had quite a few people recommend Hamble in the UK, and we've booked to do the RYA Day Skipper theory online and will do the practical with them in early November.

It would be great to find places we can crew with etc. to get some experience. Baby steps!
mikexavier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, men, rope, training