Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 05:52   #16

Excellent advice from David.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker
Btw the reason why I chose to go the RYA way is, that you are examined all the way up. In other countries, you just do a badge and that's it, which I think is pretty irresponsible.
No.

In most recreational sail training programmes, one takes a course at a time and is subject to ongoing evaluation by the instructor. Standards are fairly flexible and failures relatively uncommon, at least at the lower levels, unless the student is lazy and uninterested in learning (that said, I disagree with the "pretty irresponsible" characterization: most instructors are hardworking, reasonably knowledgeable, and will not pass a truly inept student).

The above holds true not just for ASA, CYA, et al. but also the RYA.

The difference the RYA has is that, IN ADDITION TO its training scheme, it also offers the opportunity to obtain Certificates of Competency, by way of objective practical tests administered by independent examiners. Candidates may have previously completed part or all of the RYA sail cruising courses and shorebased courses, but that is not a prerequisite; rather, you just have to meet certain experience requirements. That said, someone who has clocked up sea miles but is entirely self-taught probably (though not necessarily) has significant gaps in his or her knowledge and will likely fail the exam.

Everything is spelt out in the RYA Sail Cruising Syllabus and Logbook (publication G15). Buy a copy and peruse it.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:25   #17

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: RYA Day Skipper Certificate

Aug to Feb. round britain? Like to be cold and wet? Enjoy winds of over 40 knots? Extremely high waves? Chugging along around the Orkney islands in 25 foot waves, with winds close to 50 knots, and the rain coming in sideways?

Really?

Methinks you might not know exactly what it is you are planning to attempt. And all this without any real experience.

Really?

Make sure you have written your last will and testament and your life insurance is paid up.

One man's opinion, of course

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:58   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Aug to Feb. round britain? Like to be cold and wet? Enjoy winds of over 40 knots? Extremely high waves? Chugging along around the Orkney islands in 25 foot waves, with winds close to 50 knots, and the rain coming in sideways?

Really?

Methinks you might not know exactly what it is you are planning to attempt. And all this without any real experience.

Really?

Make sure you have written your last will and testament and your life insurance is paid up.

One man's opinion, of course

Cmon dude ... this fear mongering doesn't help at all. You gotta go sailing when you can handle the conditions.

Kæntret båd ikke bygget til havsejlads - TV 2 Nyhederne

Even the most experienced sailor can get knocked out.
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:51   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
Yeah, but "stuff" tends to happen a lot less with experiance. Still happens though .

One of the things I like about the British system of boat licencing is that there ain't any and that means entirely legal for you to set off on your voyage on whatever boat you want with no more than a roadmap and a dream. or simply by using a bathtub (with a plug optional!).

In practice what happens is that the Great British weather acts as a moderator of ambitions that outstrip ability (or reality?!) - if not initially then sooner rather than later .

I suspect you may be under some sort of impression that the voyage will entail lots of daysails between ports (Marinas? ) where you can sit out the "bad" weather happily and safely. It may be like that in some parts of the South Coast but elsewhere you will find yourself in weather worse than you want, for periods longer than is fun (and sometimes that will be at night ) and the intended port of refuge may either not be accessible or turn from safe and secure to somewhere you need to leave........into the weather you want to hide from.

Anyway, whatever you do - remember to have fun .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I suspect you may be under some sort of impression that the voyage will entail lots of daysails between ports (Marinas? ) where you can sit out the "bad" weather happily and safely. It may be like that in some parts of the South Coast but elsewhere you will find yourself in weather worse than you want, for periods longer than is fun (and sometimes that will be at night ) and the intended port of refuge may either not be accessible or turn from safe and secure to somewhere you need to leave........into the weather you want to hide from.

Anyway, whatever you do - remember to have fun .
Don't worry - got some UK (and Scottish ... :-) friends. Getting lots of infos each time we go for beers.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:35   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Cmon dude ... this fear mongering doesn't help at all. You gotta go sailing when you can handle the conditions.

Kæntret båd ikke bygget til havsejlads - TV 2 Nyhederne

Actually whilst being slightly dramatic he is right. Northern Scotland and the Irish Sea are no place to be during the winter. If you alter your timing so set off in May and aim to finish September you will be fine particularly on an open yacht, is it a Wharram Cat?

The Solent is 51 North so long days during the summer and short cold days in the winter. Scotland at 58 North doesn't get dark during the summer but during the winter start thinking in terms of 6 hours of daylight.

Don't go earlier than May because it can snow in early April. Folks seem to go anti clockwise probably because the prevailing wind is SW with low pressure systems coming in off the Atlantic driven by the jet stream.

What is your theory knowledge like, you need to be able to work out tides and currents etc. I suggest the RYA YM theory before you go would be a real help.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16   #22
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
If you take some basic RYA sailing classes and/or at the very least read some basic sailing theory and terminology and navigation prior to you round island trip you will learn vastly more than just jumping onboard for a lark.

If you want to learn quickly and properly you need to take it seriously and prepare, otherwise have a laugh go for a sail. Up to you and depends on your goals. One thing though, I would be concerned with any skipper who choose to sail round the island in the early winter, no sane skipper intentionally signs up for a bashing, and it ain't fear mongering it's facts, you will get at least one good bashing on that trip. So many "hard fellas" think that a good storm won't scare them, most of those lads are now in the pub tellin stories and no longer sailing.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Actually whilst being slightly dramatic he is right. Northern Scotland and the Irish Sea are no place to be during the winter. If you alter your timing so set off in May and aim to finish September you will be fine particularly on an open yacht, is it a Wharram Cat?

The Solent is 51 North so long days during the summer and short cold days in the winter. Scotland at 58 North doesn't get dark during the summer but during the winter start thinking in terms of 6 hours of daylight.

Don't go earlier than May because it can snow in early April. Folks seem to go anti clockwise probably because the prevailing wind is SW with low pressure systems coming in off the Atlantic driven by the jet stream.

What is your theory knowledge like, you need to be able to work out tides and currents etc. I suggest the RYA YM theory before you go would be a real help.

Pete
Thanks Pete ... I was thinking of starting in July/Aug from Southampton and go the clockwise direction to take advantage of the (late) summer for the Irish Sea and Scotland. I am planning to take the Caledonian canal and the first important milestone would be Glasgow before end of year. And there the very unknown part of the trip starts. From "here" it looks like the east coast doesn't have a lot of harbors not to mention marinas. So that would mean the trips will get pretty long. And that is why I am thinking to use a cat (unless sea conditions during Dec-Feb are so bad, that a cat such as a Wharram or so cant be used). I assume westerly winds on the east coast is better then on the west coast.

Regarding "education" - got SRC, theory : somewhere between Day Skipper and YM - trying to be "fluent" re YM before I take off, what is missing is a lot of sailing "hours". Especially passage planning and making - that is where I think is the big hole.

Anyway - still only plans - still can cancel ... :-)
Old 05-10-2012, 12:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
If you take some basic RYA sailing classes and/or at the very least read some basic sailing theory and terminology and navigation prior to you round island trip you will learn vastly more than just jumping onboard for a lark.

If you want to learn quickly and properly you need to take it seriously and prepare, otherwise have a laugh go for a sail. Up to you and depends on your goals. One thing though, I would be concerned with any skipper who choose to sail round the island in the early winter, no sane skipper intentionally signs up for a bashing, and it ain't fear mongering it's facts, you will get at least one good bashing on that trip. So many "hard fellas" think that a good storm won't scare them, most of those lads are now in the pub tellin stories and no longer sailing.
Don't worry - in fact I am a sissy. So if things would really get bad - I would just take the boat out of the water and wait for the spring ... :-)
Old 05-10-2012, 15:07   #25

>> I assume westerly winds on the east coast is better then on the west coast.

Seems during winter month prevailing direction is N/E. Oops.
Old 05-10-2012, 20:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
May be this map gives you an impression how many places to hide there are :

http://map.openseamap.org/map/?layer...1&lon=-6.10152
Old 06-10-2012, 02:54   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

OpenSeaMap - The free nautical chart
Well, you clearly think you know what you are doing Have fun .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:53   #28
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Thanks Pete ... I was thinking of starting in July/Aug from Southampton and go the clockwise direction to take advantage of the (late) summer for the Irish Sea and Scotland.
It might just be pure chance but quite often in the past few years summer in Scotland was in July. Locals will tell you it's usually on a Tuesday, but sometimes just the afternoon.

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:06   #29
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:

OpenSeaMap - The free nautical chart
Maybe that map will give an impression that you should at the very least look for something vaguely reliable. That site is useless.

Free charts and pilotage
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:21   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Maybe that map will give an impression that you should at the very least look for something vaguely reliable. That site is useless.

Free charts and pilotage
Well that map should only give an impression, how many anchorages there are - I would say quite a lot. A few posts before it was said there is "nothing" up there and I could basically forget day sailing.

And of course I will use paper charts ... :-)

Tags
skipper