Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2017, 16:14   #1

RYA Coastal Skipper training with lots of miles?

I'd like to take a Coastal skipper training in Autumn but at the same time I'd like to log a nice figure of tidal miles - all within 2 weeks.

Any recommendations in the warmer part of the European Atlantic (Portugal, Canaries)? Maybe a scool that doesn't operate in a 5 workday/week basis, thus I could sail more than 10 days of my 14 days holiday?
Old 24-06-2017, 16:44   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: RYA Coastal Skipper training with lots of miles?

None of those locations really have tides. Gib as a school that has a good reputation. Otherwise well back to the UK if you want tides and weather.

If you can sail in the Channel in the Autumn then you can sail anywhere. If you are doing this for yourself rather than box ticking for a piece of paper then choose the more challenging option. You will learn far more in a fortnight in the channel or Irish Sea compared to swanning around in the med in the sunshine.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 17:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
None of those locations really have tides. Gib as a school that has a good reputation. Otherwise well back to the UK if you want tides and weather.

If you can sail in the Channel in the Autumn then you can sail anywhere. If you are doing this for yourself rather than box ticking for a piece of paper then choose the more challenging option. You will learn far more in a fortnight in the channel or Irish Sea compared to swanning around in the med in the sunshine.

Pete

Thanks! I add the British Isles to consideration. Advantage is that there are lots of schools and many operates over the weekends as well. Weather unfortunately also means I have to buy some warmer stuff, but I'll need that anyway if I finally buy my weekender boat for the lakes nearby (Lake Constance for eg.).
Old 04-07-2017, 14:53   #4

Check out Endeavour sailing in Lanzarote, I did my QC there, excellent people and training at all levels
carraigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 15:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I'd like to take a Coastal skipper training in Autumn but at the same time I'd like to log a nice figure of tidal miles - all within 2 weeks.

Any recommendations in the warmer part of the European Atlantic (Portugal, Canaries)? Maybe a scool that doesn't operate in a 5 workday/week basis, thus I could sail more than 10 days of my 14 days holiday?
On the Algave try Faro sailing school Faro Sailing School - Home (I've did my YM coastal with them and will probably do my YM offshore with them if i ever get around to it....) or RU sailing RU Sailing main - RU Sailing (no personal experience, not cheap, but have a good reputation)
Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skipper