Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 18:06   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Renewing/upgrading USCG Master License

I got my USCG merchant mariner credential a while back but haven’t used it for anything. It’s a 25 ton Inshore master/ Near-Coastal OUPV with towing and auxiliary sail endorsements.

It’s up for renewal this year, so I believe I will need another first aid course, drug test, renewed TWIC card, and of course all the necessary forms. I’ll sign off on my own sea service again since I own my boat. I’ve got thousands of hours of new sea time, inside and outside the colregs line. My boat is still less than 25 tons (18 gross) but I’ve been told I can try to upgrade to a bigger tonnage.

Anyone gone through this recently? Any tips on what tonnage I should apply for or how to otherwise streamline the process? I don’t have any plans to use it commercially in the near future but I want to keep it up regardless. Thanks
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:39   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Renewing/upgrading USCG Master License

In the end the USCG will make the tonnage decision based on sea time/vessels. All Ive ever done is renew and they automatically made any tonnage upgrades. This was the case when they bumped my liscence to 100 Ton. A percentage of your time on lower tonnage vessels counts toward higher tonnage upgrade.

I suggest using a renewal service, their fees are reasobable, they have close working relationships with the USCG so the process flows smoothly, they also work regularly with approved labs etc (you cant just pop in to any lab). Saves you a ton of time and hassle.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:20   #3

Good advice regarding tonnage, thanks.

Do you have a recommendation for a renewal service, or just an example of one so I know what you mean?

As for the lab, it wasn’t hard to find an approved one last time. I went to Quest and made sure it was the DOT 5 panel test and it worked fine. I don’t want to join a consortium for random testing since I’m not actively using my license.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:29   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I do not have a recommendation in the NY area (my last renewal was in Houston), but I bet others here do.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I got my USCG merchant mariner credential a while back but haven’t used it for anything. It’s a 25 ton Inshore master/ Near-Coastal OUPV with towing and auxiliary sail endorsements.

It’s up for renewal this year, so I believe I will need another first aid course, drug test, renewed TWIC card, and of course all the necessary forms. I’ll sign off on my own sea service again since I own my boat. I’ve got thousands of hours of new sea time, inside and outside the colregs line. My boat is still less than 25 tons (18 gross) but I’ve been told I can try to upgrade to a bigger tonnage.

Anyone gone through this recently? Any tips on what tonnage I should apply for or how to otherwise streamline the process? I don’t have any plans to use it commercially in the near future but I want to keep it up regardless. Thanks
I am currently upgrading my ticket to 100 tons. Had to have sea time and a SEN-L course which is Radar training that included GPS and simulator. Then have to write a Transport Canada exam...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:35   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

I don't think you need a new TWIC. Check with USCG. You need 365 days of sea time since last issue/renewal and drug test. If you do not have 365 days you can take an open book test to renew. The process in not that complicated - you can DIY it and save the extra cost of an agent.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:26   #7

It is fairly simple and would suggest you try yourself before hiring anyone. It has a drop down menu that includes a check off list for documents needed.
Online Uscg navcen and follow instructions . If twic is expired then it must be renewed. If can get renewal before expiration of twic then can put twic off till you use or renew again.
Also can get license put into inactive state if. Just tryin* to preserve for insurance proof.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:54   #8

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

If you're not using your license commercially, you may want to apply for a "Document of Continuity" with the USCG. See: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/merchan...er_credential/. Also: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/N..._statement.pdf. This lets you maintain the license and allows you to reactivate it any time you want by meeting all the requirements of your license (sea service, physical, etc.) without having to re-take the tests. If you let you license lapse vs place it in continuity, it's as if you never had a license at all and you will have to go through the entire application/testing process again. A document of continuity is an easy and inexpensive way of maintaining your license (but you can't use it) without having to jump through the renewal hoops.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:45   #9

Boat: Tartan 37C

Here in NY, call Captain Bill or Captain Janine at the Nautical School of Maritime Licensing 516.226.7300 x 205. Truenorth31@aol.com. They have locations all over the tri- state area and were excellent in assisting me with my license.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:47   #10
Marine Service Provider

No TWIC is required and hasn't been for the last several years unless you work in, or need access to, a secured port facility or are crew on an IMO registered vessel.

Check the expiry dates on your Medical Certificate. Mine is good until 2024 for what I use it for. If you need an STCW or Pilot designation those quals will expire sooner. Drug test is always required.

Form some reason I don't believe you need to update your CPR, AED and 1st Aid qualifications to renew, at least they didn't ask for mine last year. But I highly recommend that everyone does renew.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 14:43   #11

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

Shipmates I have a question. If one has no plans whatsoever of going into The Chartering Business, is there really any requirement to obtain a Coast Guard Captain's License? I am in the process of purchasing a 98-Ft, 141 U.S. Ton Steel Sailing Yacht. My plans are mostly for sailing in Europe and Mediterranean waters. This yacht will be my First Large Yacht so naturally I want to learn what will be REQUIRED to drive my own yacht. Your knowledge shared with me will be greatly appreciated.

Senior Chief, U.S. Navy, Retired
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 14:55   #12

Thanks for all the good info.

Having just got home from work I’ve unfortunately got a new question now. I had left my soon-to-be expired license on the table and apparently it’s fallen prey to the baser instincts of my puppy (See pic). Does anyone know if I need to submit the old license when I renew? I’m sure it’s not the first dog-ate-my-MMC story they’ve heard, but still...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6616.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	210130
Old 05-03-2020, 17:52   #13

MARK GROSSETTI
GROSSETTI LICENSE CONSULTING
8 VAILLENCOURT DRIVE, FRAMINGHAM, MA. 01701
gro@cglicense.com 508-879-3910
DID MY LICENSE RENEWAL THRU "MARINERS LEARNING SYSTEM" NOT ENOUGH SEA TIME AND THEY RECOM MARK FOR A RENEWEL SERVICE-DOE EVERYTHING BY MAIL AND EMAIL. GOOD LUCK.
ROBERTMAGLIOZZI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 17:55   #14
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing4Jesus View Post
Shipmates I have a question. If one has no plans whatsoever of going into The Chartering Business, is there really any requirement to obtain a Coast Guard Captain's License? I am in the process of purchasing a 98-Ft, 141 U.S. Ton Steel Sailing Yacht. My plans are mostly for sailing in Europe and Mediterranean waters. This yacht will be my First Large Yacht so naturally I want to learn what will be REQUIRED to drive my own yacht. Your knowledge shared with me will be greatly appreciated.

Senior Chief, U.S. Navy, Retired
hi Chief,
no license is required to own and run your own boat, but if you need insurance a Master ticket will help. I owned sailboats up to 41' over 30 years, and got my 50T Master with sail and towing endorsement. It was easy for me because I learned to sail as an Explorer Scout before Loran/ GPS - the USCG Master charting test was no problem since I'd done it for so many years even as a kid. in the 1970s charting and taking bearings, ranges, transits was how you got around.

I bought a 65' motor yacht and got an excellent insurance policy at great price because of 1) good credit 2) experience 3) Master ticket.

I know other owners, buying a big boat, who were required to hire a captain to accompany them for the delivery and some time thereafter.

good luck. you'll enjoy the test and learning.
Old 05-03-2020, 18:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
No TWIC is required and hasn't been for the last several years unless you work in, or need access to, a secured port facility or are crew on an IMO registered vessel.

Check the expiry dates on your Medical Certificate. Mine is good until 2024 for what I use it for. If you need an STCW or Pilot designation those quals will expire sooner. Drug test is always required.

Form some reason I don't believe you need to update your CPR, AED and 1st Aid qualifications to renew, at least they didn't ask for mine last year. But I highly recommend that everyone does renew.

Interesting about the lack of TWIC and CPR requirements; that certainly makes it easier. It does seem that I will need a new Medical Certificate, though, as mine expires the same time as my MMC. Unless maybe you can renew the medical certificate without a new medical examination, but that doesn't seem likely.

Tags
license, mast