Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2020, 13:29   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Renewing my MMC

Hello,

The information online is a little cryptic so I'm hoping someone here may be confident on what I need to do to renew my MMC.

I have:
25 Ton Inshore Master
Near Coastal OUPV
Towing Endorsement
Auxiliary Sail Endorsement
Wiper, steward, etc...

My license expires in 2020. I have a new CG-719K from my doctor and a recent (one-time) drug test from a consortium. I have not used my license at all in the last 5 years but I own my own sailboat and have tons of documented sea time. My TWIC is also expired but I can fill out the waiver since I don't need it. Also I know how to use pay.gov for the fee.

Here are a few questions I still have to hopefully avoid making a mistake that would get my application rejected:

1) I don't see anything about a First Aid course on the renewal checklist. Is that not required for renewal?

2) Can I renew my Towing endorsement without any towing experience in the last 5 years?

3) Should I try for a greater tonnage than 25 or do they ever just upgrade you automatically? (My boat is listed at 18 tons)

4) I should now have enough sea service to upgrade my Master from Inshore to Near-Coastal (right now my Master is inshore only and I have OUPV Near-Coastal). Can I request an upgrade to that upon renewal without a new course?

5) Anything else new in the process or anything else I forgot to ask?

I very much appreciate any answers or tips you have!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:03   #2

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'
Re: Renewing my MMC

I am not an expert but here we go, if it's overly complicated you can hire a license consultant that will save you time and headaches. You can also use the online chat function which is very handy.

1) I don't believe you need the FA for the license just for the STCW.

2) The towing endorsement is a one time thing, once you have it, it doesn't go away.

3) You would need to request a raise in Grade for a higher tonnage and show the relevant documentation.

4) You can request a raise in scope to go from inland to N/C. Again, I dknt know for sure but there will most like be a exam.

5) If you arent using your license have it placed in continuity. When you want to dust if off again and use it, you will have to take an at home, open book exam.

In all, you have enough going on a license consultant would be the way to go or just renew it as is.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:29   #3

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Thanks very much for the reply. I think you're right... I will just renew as is for now. Maybe next time I'll look into placing it in continuity but I already went ahead with the medical and drug test so I might as well renew it. I guess you never know what opportunities could suddenly arise as well..
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 22:32   #4

I don’t know.

The best way to find out, Contact your local CG exam office. tell them what you have and ask what you can renew and what you need to upgrade.

Might as well get the right answer direct from the horse.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote