Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 12:46   #1

Questions for RYA owners, and other opinions, lifestyle change

Hello Crusiers!

Im a professional athlete, and after retirement in 5 years i want to change lifestyle.
I got a little sailing backround, because my father was olympic sailor, i got an Hunter Impala 28 in Lake Balaton Hungary. I sailed couple of weeks on Adriatic, but i want so much more.

I already started to learn for sailing at sea more and more. In the Academy i started is very similar to RYA training,very thorough on paper and on sea also, so i thinking about aiming some RYA certification after my regular licences. I really want to cruise and see as much i can in this amazing world.
If everything goes as i planned im going to have some savings,but i want to upgrade to a little bigger boat to live aboard for months/years. I can live on budget and i enjoy simple life a lot. My goal isnt to make millions of dollars.
But i need income for sure, so my questions is:

Is anbody who can share some opinions or experiences who has RYA? I kknow requirements.
I trying to get as much information i can get for after.
Easy or hard to find jobs with RYA certification? For me obviously in Europe.
Long term/short term jobs? Is there anyone for example who to works during season/summer and travel after? Possible to work 1-2 years and after travel for a while and look for jobs again? Etc.. Anything like that.
(im trying to learn and get enough experience to organize some weekly trips to Adriatic at summers in 3-4 years for a start)

But for now i study and looking for imformation how can i create life around cruising to see the world and working in sailing also from time to time.

Thank you for the anwers!
Have a great day
hunruji31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:11   #2

Boat: J/36
Re: Questions for RYA owners, and other opinions, lifestyle change

RYA certifications seem to be just that- certifications. They are not licenses. They show the holders to be sufficiently well-trained to operate a vessel so that charter companies agree to let them charter a boat. The certifications might be useful in seeking employment as a sailing instructor, but in the United States, for example, you might also need a license if the instruction involves having students with you in a powerboat. (You would be getting paid for having passengers in a powerboat, which requires a license.) Different countries have different requirements for running charters for hire. Even if it is your own boat, paying passengers or "splitting costs" can often require a license. A recent thread about the USCG stopping owners in Florida from doing this is in the Government Regulations section on this forum. In France the maritime police last year did the same. Research what Hungary or other countries require. If it was easy, everyone would do it.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:43   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Bula, bula from Fiji Hunruji,

Hoping that you'll gain help and useful information from joining and posting in the forum.

But as psk125 above has written in response to your first post, RYA courses are generally for sailors using pleasure craft. Job wise you'd normally need commercial qualifications. Many people gain qualifications for both and there is considerable duplicity of material and experience, but not all. From my own experience, I found there's much more emphasis in learning about the hard aspects of the boat for the commercial qualifications. By hard I mean engineering, boat construction, maintenance etc.

It's not clear from your post whether you're asking about spending your retirement sailing for pleasure, with a little side hustle (as I guess the majority of forum members are or aspire to be) or whether you're interested in setting out on a new career path. If your goal is the second don't bother with RYA, google search 'commercial mariner training' and go and talk to people at a nearby Maritime College.

And just to put in a plug for my own country. New Zealand has a well regarded Maritime School with students coming from all over the world to attend courses. https://www.nmit.ac.nz/study/filter/programmes/maritime

Another aspect you should consider is the ability to gain a work visa in countries you intend to visit (or live in as the case maybe). That's often not an easy option outside of EU.

Always do feel free to post your own thoughts, questions and ideas here on CF. The forum only works when people post, and 95% of members here seem reluctant. Don't be a lurker. Good luck with gaining whatever set of qualifications you set out on.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:01   #4
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Questions for RYA owners, and other opinions, lifestyle change

I have RYA Coastal Skipper and that was good enough to get the Spanish Seaman Blue Book which is needed to work commercially in Spain.. worked for a season driving an 18ft diesel turbo speed boat teaching water skiing, towing Donuts and Banana's and chasing clients doing a runner on our jet bikes..
It also allows me to work on my own boat in a Yard as I am a Marinhiero
Each country needs its own quals met, for example here in Portugal I would need to present my Certificate with School stamp to get a local license.. hang onto all your old documents as they all count especially the one with the school stamp, mine date back to 1986.
The RYA also does commercial endorsements for Offshore and Ocean Skippers.
https://www.rya.org.uk/training-supp...orsements.aspx

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:02   #5

Oh I just remembered an important aspect. That is money. So as psk125 has suggested with RYA you could be a sailing instructor, but in much of the world, only as a volunteer at a sailing club.

The moment money and/or profit is introduced then a commercial qualification is usually needed; so RYA qualifications are of minimal advantage.

So the question is this: is there a profit motive? Put another way, are workers paid, and are users of the service paying? If so then it is a commercial operation. If not it is a 'not for profit' (ie a boating Club).

Of course there is a blurred line when students pay a course fee to learn sailing at a club. But typically Clubs are non profit, and the fees tend to only cover course and boat costs. We could debate that but authorities mostly accept the non profit intent, and especially the fact instructors are mostly unpaid.

But you will usually find if staff are paid, they will almost always have a commercial qualification such as yacht skipper. Such qualifications usually have specific limits. For example a maximum boat length or vessel displacement and/or passenger number. So for example my own qualifications allow me to operate for profit, any commercial (in survey) vessel up to 12 metres long, with up to 19 passengers, with a further restriction of within 12 nautical miles of the coast. I can gain extensions to the limits by demonstrating experience.

In addition boats of a 'commercial' operation need to be 'in Survey', and so a significant aspect to any commercial course is how to maintain an in survey vessel.

I hope this adds further clarification. Fire back any questions. And perhaps also just confirm more clearly what your ambitions are.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:06   #6

Boatie makes a good point, keep those old certificates, they are invaluable. I would add also: keep a log of all and any sea time you do, including courses. Record hours, miles and what you did as a minimum. If possible get any skippers to sign off your log entry about a trip on their boat, even if only for pleasure.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:17   #7

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Not clear to me if you want to use your own boat but if you do you normally need to have it licensed in the country where you operate.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:15   #8

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The RYA also does commercial endorsements for Offshore and Ocean Skippers.
https://www.rya.org.uk/training-supp...orsements.aspx
I think other posters may be overlooking what you wrote here. The Yachtmaster offshore/ocean is a professional qualification when commercially endorsed, and if STCW endorsed should be widely accepted.

hunruji31 should be aware though that charter skippers / instructors don't tend to earn much so the notion of saving enough in a couple of years to travel for a while would be optimistic.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote