Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 19:00   #16

Boat: 55 fleming
Re: Purchased a USCG documented boat, how do I transfer , previous owner passed???

There are three ways to approach this situation. 1 Go to USCG website and request the transfer your self. 2 employ a person who does the work for you (a yacht broker should be able to put you in touch). You will probably need a bill of sale, statement by the executor of the estate and a certificate of death. If the purchase is through a broker the broker should take care of the transfer for you.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 19:06   #17

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Re: Purchased a USCG documented boat, how do I transfer , previous owner passed???

I hope it’s easier for you than it was for us. It took us several years to deal with a similar issue.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 10:04   #18

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

A couple of things. For the first 'big boat' I bought I used the seller's broker to file for transfer of the USCG Cert of Doc which he handled quickly, but charged $625 which I thought was fine at the time until I realized that worked out to about $300 an hour for his time. Call NVDC and get your info there and dwnld forms you need online.
However, unless your are certain you will be taking your boat into foreign waters, I don't really see the point of documentation. Tx now charges about $60/yr to sport numbers on the hull, despite current Certs of Doc. So, if you decide to let the CoDoc die, with a good bill of sale (I would reco using the one offered on USCG website) you or previous owner, not sure who, can file w USCG for Letter of Deletion which is required in this case for a state title of ownership and then registration from any state (because they'll ask if boat was ever Documented, you'll say yes, they'll want the Letter of Deletion). Big Point here is that even when renewal for Documentation has lapsed, the boat is still under the careful administrative eye of the USCG and clerks at your state's Parks n Wildlife, Fisheries, whatever the name, will most likely, should check in on current status of Documentation w USCG. If it turns out after you file for 'Letter' that USCG search finds any outstanding issues, any transfer of ownership attempts will be blocked by USCG until they are satisfied that all paperwork, including any outstanding debt, is cleared up. This is one of the benefits of Documentation; hard for thieves to steal boats and get fresh, fake docs. And GUESS WHAT,, if there was ever a loan on the boat, say even 15 years ago, and even if it was paid off, but no one (w official proof from the lender) took the time to notify the USCG of satisfaction, no Letter of Deletion will be produced and therefore no transfer of ownership will take place in any form until that proof of loan satisfaction is submitted to USCG and approved by them.
If you want to know how I know this and what I was doing almost every other day for almost three months a couple of years ago, just ask.
If I ever buy another Documented vessel, I will check on these matters before writing the check, not after.
Best of Luck. Cheers, Pappy

p.s. Seller of boat to me was somehow in possession of a Florida title (some clerk there must not have checked on expired/lapsed CoD) so he, seller, probably never knew about loan problem except that I doubt he checked the 'Yes" box re question "Was this boat ever Documented."
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 10:27   #19

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Even if it’s straight forward looking, I’d call the USCG up and have them walk you through EXACTLY how they want everything, they care very particular on some things which don’t always make sense, easier to do it over the phone once than email it in and have it process only to not go through.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 10:48   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche189 View Post
I purchased a boat that has sat idle for 2-3 years... USCG documentation is from 2016. I found it on the boat. The boat owner was in a car wreck and had passed from complications. Family selling me the boat doesn't do much boating.
I need to find out what I will need in order to get the vessel documented in my name before too much time passes.
Anyone that can help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Make sure the well has been probated and you are buying from someone not a family.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 12:30   #21

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Been there done that, finally on the advice of the man, i got a pink slip from the DMV,proving ownership, with this obtained the Documentation (boat previously documented).
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 13:19   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Make sure the well has been probated and you are buying from someone not a family.
Sorry typo. Will. without ownership going through the court a remote relative can at some point claim ownership or some portion of. It is essential if there has not been a formal will. I the case of an accidental death, that is likely. FYI
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men, purchase