Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 01:21   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Power squadron certificates?

I had taken Power Squadron classes through celestial navigation, don't recall what that level is. But it was 4 or 5 classes. I would think that qualifies me for certain boat licenses when I want to rent or Charter, insurance when owning, etc.?

If so, how does one show this. It would have been good of them to provide a card showing your level.

Thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 01:55   #2

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Power squadron certificates?

I am not current, but in the past they have given out certificates upon joining (which could only be done after the initial safety class, which has its own certificate). There are places on the certificate to put stickers for each class completed. Once all of the classes have been completed all of the positions are covered and it is called a "full certificate", A separate certificate is, or was, issued stating that the member had a full certificate. Of course it doesn't really have to be full to demonstrate completion of piloting and seamanship courses, among others. It can be used to demonstrate that the holder has expertise in the areas covered: I used scanned copies of mine to get an Oregon operators permit without having to take the test. It would also be useful as part of a sailing resume for chartering.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 03:54   #3

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

I charter boats extensively and i have never been asked to provide any certificates to them. They always ask for your sailing resume.
I do keep my sailing resume very up to date and include copies of any certificates i have as additionl info.
This said call the power squadron and ask them the question. Maybe they will send you something.
Can’t see where it will make any diffirence if you charter a boat. Not many charter companies allow sailing at night or for you to be so fr out to ses that requires use of a sextant.
One point about sailing resumes and charter compagnies. They always seen to accept it upfront without verification. But if you get in trouble they will check, If you lied....might be trouble for you.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 07:47   #4

Boat: Hanse 348

Haven't chartered but want to. Have been sailing for 50 years. Have owned 5 boats, currently a 38' cat. Just thought that if I had a card/certificate that I could print out from their website to include on the application, it would be good to show the charter company.

I know in many states now you need a boater safety card/license to rent a small boat or jetski for the day. Back when I took the boater safety 1st class from the PS, at least in my state, that was the equivalent of their boater license card, and the PS marketed the class as that not only does this give you the quals of the license, but it goes further and allows you to take the next classes. But they didn't give you a card, which you got when you took the state class.

These days, I am not sure if the PS boater safety class can be used in lieu of each specific state boater license, and it might not include state specific laws that they want you to know. BTW, some of the boater safety exams are a joke, since you can do them online, you can just use another browser to google the question. I guess that sort of makes you look it up again, and maybe you will possibly retain the knowledge better.

I thought the PS had great classes and info, and is a great organization. I just think maybe their marketing needs updating?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote