Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2010, 08:03   #1

Post Personal Log Book for Crew ?

I have been crewing crewing down in the carribean for a couple of months and now i will be assisting on a delivery from northern FL to Cape Cod. I want to get this recorded and signed off on, so i can add it to my resume/experience or whatever you want to call it. I have been trying to find one of those little log books for days now and all i can find is larger ones for boat owners. Any suggestions on where to get one? A good homemade alternative? Short of ordering one online because i leave in 2 days. Any suggestions are welcome. Cheers!
vivo el sueño is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 08:47   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
The nice printed 'Log Books' are a waste of time. You are much better off with a hard back book. A plain A5 with lines and margins has all the diary type space you will need for an adequate record trips, comments and references and skippers details. They can of course continue to another volume as necessary. I regret spending good pounds on the Ship's Log Book. There is an excess of useful info which is more accessible in waterproof formats, the columns are suited to day log, rather than voyage history. It will provide a record of my experiences with this boat but lacks the flexibility needed.
An A4 Accountants Pad I use for my day log has all the columns needed, without the headings. That gets much reduced when it's transcribed into the Ships Log in due course.
Old 13-05-2010, 09:58   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Why do you wish to log your experience? If it's for the coast guard captain's license, I recommend you get their forms and have the captain/owner sign them.

The American Sailing Association has pocket sized log books to document sailing experience in as well. That might be what you were thinking of.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 09:59   #4
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Water proof so it doesn't get all moldy and curly and yucky. Write in the rain or spray with out blurring or smudging. Should be able to find it in a good atr supply or office supply. Call and ask, they will know what it is if they have it. They are pretty universal.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 10:01   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We just use school exercise books.
but a better looking one would be like one of those a4 diarys.

I think its very important for crew to have one as the sea miles get important for different tickets, especially watch commander, skipper etc.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 10:05   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Why do you wish to log your experience? If it's for the coast guard captain's license, I recommend you get their forms and have the captain/owner sign them.

The American Sailing Association has pocket sized log books to document sailing experience in as well. That might be what you were thinking of.
Remember the USA is only one country in the world

Sailing is international

Old 13-05-2010, 10:09   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, sailing is international... but the op is in florida and sailing the east coast of the us so maybe the query about a coast guard rating is topical for him and using their stuff would make sense in that case.

As far as the asa log books go, I don't think using something produced by asa would preclude that being a format that could be presented in various countries.

But I still think water proof is the go to on this one!

Old 13-05-2010, 10:25   #8

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Remember the USA is only one country in the world

Sailing is international
Very true Mark, but I noted the location on his profile states the U.S. and that's also his point of departure, so it makes sense U.S. based documentation may apply.

My point, however is that if you have a goal for your documentation what ever or where ever it is, be sure your method of documentation is appropriate for that goal. I'd hate to see someone's goals (such as a certification) delayed simply because they didn't use the appropriate procedures. I've seen that happen.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 10:41   #9

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I use this when I hike. You can buy it at any outdoor store like REI, Eastern Mountain Sports or Cabelas. Probably Outdoor World/Bass Pro Shops as well. And a space pen and you could write on them in the rain WHILE wet.
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 11:00   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
but the op is in florida and sailing the east coast of the us so maybe the query about a coast guard rating
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Very true Mark, but I noted the location on his profile states the U.S. and that's also his point of departure, so it makes sense U.S. based documentation may apply.
Do you guys expect me to read the posts I am replying to?

Next I'll have to read the Subject too!

Old 13-05-2010, 11:11   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Do you guys expect me to read the posts I am replying to?

Next I'll have to read the Subject too!
poor poor baby ; -)

Old 13-05-2010, 11:11   #12

Thanks for all of the responses! The primary reason i want this is to just start logging hours. especially watch standing/night hours. I have no certifications yet so i feel like the more of my time i can keep recorded the better off i am as far as getting crewing positions. Although I dont want to, I suppose at some point ill need to start getting the basic certifications out of the way. Anyone care to give me a quick run down of the order of certifications? and can you bypass any of them if you have X amount of logged sea time? Cheers guys and thanks again for all of the response I think i am going to go with the yellow water proof deal. Sounds like a good plan.
vivo el sueño is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 06:39   #13

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
For the UK the ONLY hours that really qualify for Certificates are those under UK Certified skipper. For general paid crew work then UK certificates, and maybe the USA version (no-one respects others as much as their own), will 'qualify' you for better paid positions, or less fees to travel with them. Unfortunately most of the crewing jobs seem to involve you paying to enjoy the experience. You'll need a good reputation and worthwhile TRACEABLE references to be paid. There is decent pay rates on 'Super Yachts' but they need info as above.
For an informal log you will also want to get your passport and or log stamped to confirm the destinations you have travelled to, and signed with note of special skills (a reference in effect), again by a traceable Captain or Officer and his Certificate Type and Number. His Certification Authority will be able to confirm that he does exist, your passport stamps will confirm that you did indeed arrive at these places.
Be aware also that many countries will want you to prove you have independent means and can afford a normal airline ticket back to your home country.
If it all works out it's a great life.
Old 14-05-2010, 07:33   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Keep copies of the small vessel sea service form for the captain/owner to sign after the trip is completed. Keep them until you need them for the USCG application process. Simple and easy. Explain to the skipper what your goals are in obtaining time on the water for USCG application. Have fun with it.