Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2019, 12:11   #1

OSS fastrac to cruising course.....thoughts?

Considering taking this course and thought I would ask here for peoples opinions of it before committing.

I have 2 options, take this course this winter or take the basic keelboat course this winter and then in the future the next level which would enable me to rent bareboat. hope eventually to own our own boat (wife and I) spend the winters on her around the Caribbean. (maybe further eventually) both courses could work for me as far as schedule this year but getting it all done at once definitely appeals to me. I totally realize that just because I have a certificate does not mean I know what I am doing and that really learning what I am doing will take practice and time. But I need to start somewhere and at this point in my life I am only flexible in the winter and getting to water that isn't frozen during that time costs. so doing so this way I think makes sense.

Any advice on the course in question or the plan I have to get up to speed to be able to allow me to progress on this path?

thanks

Debmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 12:35   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: OSS fastrac to cruising course.....thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debmar View Post
Considering taking this course and thought I would ask here for peoples opinions of it before committing.

I have 2 options, take this course this winter or take the basic keelboat course this winter and then in the future the next level which would enable me to rent bareboat. hope eventually to own our own boat (wife and I) spend the winters on her around the Caribbean. (maybe further eventually) both courses could work for me as far as schedule this year but getting it all done at once definitely appeals to me. I totally realize that just because I have a certificate does not mean I know what I am doing and that really learning what I am doing will take practice and time. But I need to start somewhere and at this point in my life I am only flexible in the winter and getting to water that isn't frozen during that time costs. so doing so this way I think makes sense.

Any advice on the course in question or the plan I have to get up to speed to be able to allow me to progress on this path?

thanks
Don't rely on courses to prepare you to be a cruiser or make you into a skilled sailor. I know you have a seasonal issue, but getting yourself and your wife onto boats as much as possible will improve your skills and help you decide if you will really like the sailing life.

I know it seems impossible, but I'd recommend that you both start sailing with other people, the best way is to get on a racing crew, and start getting miles under your belt. You don't ever have to have any plan to race yourself, but you will be exposed to people who know how to sail, in any conditions.

wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 12:49   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Don't rely on courses to prepare you to be a cruiser or make you into a skilled sailor. I know you have a seasonal issue, but getting yourself and your wife onto boats as much as possible will improve your skills and help you decide if you will really like the sailing life.

I know it seems impossible, but I'd recommend that you both start sailing with other people, the best way is to get on a racing crew, and start getting miles under your belt. You don't ever have to have any plan to race yourself, but you will be exposed to people who know how to sail, in any conditions.
Doing both, the training plus hands on experience building as suggested above, will get you there even faster. Hands on experience building and training are complemnetary not mutually exclusive.

Training also helps fill in the gaps in knowledge you might have thru exprience building only. Again, complementary activities, together they are more effective than just one or the other alone.

Getting some training under your belt first will also make it easier to get involved in experience building activities.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 12:29   #4

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats

Structured courses will make your learning more efficient and faster.
The only down sidevto fast track training ( imo )
Is that you get swamped with alot of info and things to remember.
Slower training with pratice is beter i think.
But hat go for it!
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 14:03   #5

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman101 View Post
Structured courses will make your learning more efficient and faster.
The only down sidevto fast track training ( imo )
Is that you get swamped with alot of info and things to remember.
Slower training with pratice is beter i think.
But hat go for it!
One of the things we did to mitigate the overload was take a powerboat cruise and learn first. Docking, navigation, weather, anchoring etc are all essentially the same and it removes all the line handling and sail trim stuff and lets you focus on boat handling and getting comfortable with life aboard. Our next outing was a sail course — we requested and got the same instructor so he knew not to spend time going over all the same stuff and we concentrated on learning to sail.
Old 27-08-2019, 18:37   #6

Yes but then it’s not fast track learning.
Old 27-08-2019, 19:36   #7

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Find and charter a boat with full time cruisers. This will be the most immersive 24h experience you can have. It will be real, then you can do your courses which will build upon something that relates.
Old 28-08-2019, 04:45   #8

Not everyone finds the idea of spending time on a boat with strangers appealling.

Tags
cruising