Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 04:23   #16

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Online sailing courses

For the most part yes i was referring to chartering, Europe and/or the Americas however, No I will say you won’t be turned away but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there could be areas that may require you to have some such certification, i.e. inland water ways or heavily congested coastal areas in and around the Mediterranean.

The world is changing and along with it comes tighter regulations, I can see in a few year’s time, when I plan to charter a boat for vacation or decide to sail across the briny pond, that it will be a must have for some coastal regions.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:52   #17

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We took the online state certification class through Boat U.S. (free) and are now taking classes that the U.S. Power Squadron offers online through the University of West Florida. (A little pricey in my opinion.) Some of those classes lay the groundwork for the USCG 6-pack, although that's not necessarily a goal of ours. I will definitely be checking out NauticEd though. Sounds like a good deal.

I read somewhere (can't quite remember where at the moment) that you need to show evidence of a boating safety class to sail in Canadian waters, which we definitely plan to do. I think I read that you would be required to show it when you clear into the country. Can anyone say for certain if that is true?
Old 11-03-2015, 06:58   #18

Sailing out of Newfoundland, East coast of Canada, there is no requirement, as far as I know for recreational sailing, but sailing as a business, tours or such, may be, someone doing this could weigh in. Although You do require a small craft operators license for motorized boats over 10 hp, sailboats are exceptions from this, right now!!
Maybe some place like the St. laurence seaway where there is high volume of traffic or congested shipping lanes, it may be now or become required at some point in time.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:32   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
I read somewhere (can't quite remember where at the moment) that you need to show evidence of a boating safety class to sail in Canadian waters, which we definitely plan to do. I think I read that you would be required to show it when you clear into the country. Can anyone say for certain if that is true?
Hi Becky, as nicholson31 said, you don't need anything for pure sailing, but if you have any engine you are required to show "proof of competency". For foreign visitors, the requirement only kicks in after 45 days. I suppose Canada border folks might demand to see this proof if you're planning to stay more that 45 days.

Check out Transport Canada's page on this.

I will say, getting a Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Card is ridiculously easy. There are multiple services where you can get it online. I'm not spiritually opposed to government regulations and licensing, but this is one program which deserves ridicule. In any case, if you're planning to spend a lot of time in Canadian waters, it's probably best just to get one.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:34   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hi Becky, as nicholson31 said, you don't need anything for pure sailing, but if you have any engine you are required to show "proof of competency". For foreign visitors, the requirement only kicks in after 45 days. I suppose Canada border folks might demand to see this proof if you're planning to stay more that 45 days.

Check out Transport Canada's page on this.

I will say, getting a Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Card is ridiculously easy. There are multiple services where you can get it online. I'm not spiritually opposed to government regulations and licensing, but this is one program which deserves ridicule. In any case, if you're planning to spend a lot of time in Canadian waters, it's probably best just to get one.
Thread momentary divert:
Mike have you set off yet?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:50   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Thread momentary divert:
Mike have you set off yet?
Ha ... you're funny guy. Just went down to the boat. Took me 1/2 hr to shovel out all the snow (due to a ripped canvas cover), and stared out at endless ice. We launch the end of April, but really won't get going until July.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:50   #22

Ahhh see, its good to brush up on these things, in reading the current regulations , thanks for the link Mike, looks like as of 2009, all powered pleasure craft users require a card. But I'm guessing sailboats are still outside this classification.
And yes, from the pack ice along the coast, splashdown looks a ways off yet for us too!!!
Old 17-04-2015, 08:51   #23

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
Ahhh see, its good to brush up on these things, in reading the current regulations , thanks for the link Mike, looks like as of 2009, all powered pleasure craft users require a card. But I'm guessing sailboats are still outside this classification.
And yes, from the pack ice along the coast, splashdown looks a ways off yet for us too!!!
I just looked at the website for power squadron and they indicate that all powered vessels require the licence,I take that to mean aux sailboats as well.

The test is simple yes but it does force people to learn the basics which in the age of 60 mph pwcs can't be bad
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 09:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
I've been sailing 6 years, nicholson 31 and other than self tought through experiance/reading and helpfull guidance from well experianced sailors, I would like to continue my knowledge through a formal training course however it would have to be online.
So, regarding online courses, for example NauticaEd, has anyone taken one of these online courses specifically the Day skipper course and how would you rate it? this course is offered on line and states:
This course has been approved and endorsed by the RYA as the RYA Day Skipper theory course. Pass this course here online and the practical training/test at any RYA training center and you will receive the RYA Day Skipper Certificate. This makes you eligible to be awarded the ICC - International Certificate of Competence, required by European countries and signatories to United Nations Resolution 40 as the minimum requirements to sail in their waters.

I'm headed over to the UK this summer for the express purpose
Of getting my RYA Day Skipper and ICC
As explained to me by Shearwater Sailing School
The practical trumps the theory.
The theory course is not required to pass the practical
you just have to demonstrate understanding of the theory while on board.
I to have been sailing for some time and have owned boats
And decided to just brush up self study with the RYA books
However the recommended online theory course was
Navathome.com
Another good navigation only course is
Boatsafe Coastal Navigation
Also as related by Shearwater, RYA Day Skipper
Is a higher standard than ICC, so therefor if you earn it
You automatically earn ICC
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 16:50   #25

Times are changing... Here are the most recent requirements to bareboat charter in Belize. Effective February 1st, 2015 all bareboat charters must fill in a detailed government approved resume to obtain a "Temporary Certificate of Competency" that is valid only for the dates of the charter (cost is $13 to apply). The following are the general criteria for acceptance.

General Criteria for Acceptance of Bareboat Charter in Belize

The following information is provided to give you a better understanding of the criteria used when evaluating the suitability of a skipper for a bareboat charter in Belize.

1) A minimum of 5 years of sailing experience including documented experience as skipper on a similar vessel.

2) ASA International Proficiency Certificate and/or European/Mediterranean Chartering Certificate plus 2 documented bareboat charters within the last 4 years as skipper on a similar vessel or one of the following equivalencies:
a. 10 years of sailing experience with a minimum of 3 documented bareboat charters as skipper on a similar vessel. The prior bareboat charter must have occurred within the last 2 years.
b. Prior documented bareboat charter experience as skipper in Belize within the last 5 years on a similar vessel.
c. ASA 101, ASA 102, ASA 103, ASA 104 certification plus 2 documented bareboat charters within the last 3 years as skipper on a similar vessel.
d. Documented ownership of a similar vessel within the last 2 years plus 1 documented bareboat charter within the last 5 years.

3) Demonstrable experience handling a boat of similar size to what you want to charter, in similar conditions (e.g. sailing shallow waters with areas of coral), a strong knowledge of general seamanship and a working knowledge of coastal navigation via electronic charts, paper charts and line of sight.
backlesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 16:56   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
I'm headed over to the UK this summer for the express purpose

Of getting my RYA Day Skipper and ICC

As explained to me by Shearwater Sailing School

The practical trumps the theory.

The theory course is not required to pass the practical

you just have to demonstrate understanding of the theory while on board.

I to have been sailing for some time and have owned boats

And decided to just brush up self study with the RYA books

However the recommended online theory course was

Navathome.com

Another good navigation only course is

Boatsafe Coastal Navigation

Also as related by Shearwater, RYA Day Skipper

Is a higher standard than ICC, so therefor if you earn it

You automatically earn ICC

The day skipper is an excellent course and qualification

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-04-2015, 16:57   #27
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb cruzan View Post
I think you are talking about charter rentals, correct? Not private vessel? So as a US Citizen, if I show up with a paid for vessel, passports and a transatlantic crossing behind me, they will turn me away to sail in their waters?

A short answer -yes.

Old 20-04-2015, 17:02   #28
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Has anyone with sailing experience and a credit card ever been turned away from a charter?

I don't know how it works in the Mediterranean, but in the Caribbean they'll accept any evidence of any type of sailing class, or even just if you just tell them about the kind of sailing you've done.

Is the ICC really a requirement in Europe?

I think all knowledge and classes (and credentials) are good, but I'm just curious how strict the requirement is for this particular credential.

Some European countries , require charter skippers to have certificates of competency. Various tickets are accepted. ( and some countries allow the charter company to certify you )

ICC is not a requirement , but again several countries require competency Certs and the ICC is one of the most common ways of demonstrating such.

Dave

Tags
sail, sailing