Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2016, 06:15   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Not sure its worth it

You actually don't need to go to school to learn to sail. There isn't a whole lot to daysailing in the lake.

You can buy a small boat like a Laser, Sunfish, or even a 19' Lightning and learn tons in a single season.

I read a book (you can probably check one out from your local library) and looked at this sail position chart (points of sail) then went sailing.

My boat didn't have an engine so I was forced to learn a lot fast

That was it.

Then a year later started racing as Skipper on my own boat

https://knotalotsailing.wordpress.co...oints-of-sail/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lightning.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	125208  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 06:32   #32

I did find a snipe race today at a lake 20mins from me, plan on going and talking to people and learn as much as I can. I'll take some pics and load them later.

Maybe I'll get lucky and get a ride
superdad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 06:36   #33

Re: not sure its worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdad88 View Post
All great replies, I thank everyone for the input. I do have a10 year old daughter that would enjoy this also. The biggest lake around here is 390 acres. Would have to travel 2+ hours to find a 1800 acre lake. And with in 5 hour drive is a lake that's 35,700 acres. All easily done in a weekend. So I would be looking for a boat that I can trailer and easy to launch.
SD88

Are you allowed to travel to Iowa?

I looked at a map of eastern Nebraska and saw this big blue blob just east of the Missouri River. 15 minutes away is Lake Manawa, 660 acres with a sailing association. You could almost run over for a long lunch.

SailManawa.com

Cheers

Chris
Taodnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 06:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taodnt View Post
SD88

Are you allowed to travel to Iowa?

I looked at a map of eastern Nebraska and saw this big blue blob just east of the Missouri River. 15 minutes away is Lake Manawa, 660 acres with a sailing association. You could almost run over for a long lunch.

SailManawa.com

Cheers

Chris
That's the lake that has the race today and is 20mins from me. I found the club last night doing a google search
Old 30-05-2016, 07:30   #35

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdad88 View Post
All great replies, I thank everyone for the input. I do have a10 year old daughter that would enjoy this also. The biggest lake around here is 390 acres. Would have to travel 2+ hours to find a 1800 acre lake. And with in 5 hour drive is a lake that's 35,700 acres. All easily done in a weekend. So I would be looking for a boat that I can trailer and easy to launch.
My son was my racing crew from ages 10-16. (and here and there after that) It's great getting the kids involved.......

He would also sail from Pensacola to Pensacola Beach with friends on his Hobie 16 to meet girls back in the late 90's. We lived on the water and the boats stayed put together just above high water

He was the Skipper at age 14 and up......
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 07:52   #36

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaink73 View Post
Some of the purest are gonna hate me for this, can't believe that I'm saying it myself. Have you looked into something like a Macgregor 26? A trailerable sailboat/motorboat hybrid. From what I understand they're a lot of fun on lakes, they just don't handle heavy seas very well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1464619756.687902.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	125210

A friend aged to 85 owns this little jewel, which he will be selling soon.

Still surrounded by anchors.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 08:05   #37

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
As for license, I recall a great debate back in the 80s when the Brits were voting if they will introduce licenses for private sailors

The main argument from people against licensing was:
If someone knows how to sail he needs no license
If someone does not know how to sail he/she will be too scared to go sailing anyway LOL

Those that can do and those that can't don't. A license is the government's tax on allowing you to enjoy, what you enjoy, or another tax on feeding your family, if it's a job. The crew of Concordia were licensed.🤔🤔🤔 The Valdeez. 🤔🤔🤔
Just saying, a license does not guarantee, that there will not be a tragedy.

Still surrounded by anchors.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 19:01   #38

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

If you have the time, and money, take the class! If you like the process and the result, buy yourself (and your family?) a small trailer boat, so you can sail, sail, sail. You will continue to learn. If the burden is not great, do get a Catalina 22, or even a 20, that you can sail, sail sail, sail, although your choice of lakes will be more confined. BTW, Craigslist, eBay, and several others are often wonderful sources for boats, and for information, Google, et al. is hard to beat. The information is there, sometimes it is conducting the search that is difficult. Do it.
Old 02-06-2016, 19:28   #39

Boat: Lots of boats.

Started with an 11 foot Snark. Only 40 lbs. No motor, but always carried a paddle. I would sail for hours wherever there was water. Mix in a little fishing and I was content. Moved up to a 25 Macgregor. Sailed in all kinds of weather. Never read a word from any sailing book and never sailed with anyone who had done it before. I didn't even knew you could reef sails until I had been doing it for several years. I always figured heeling and wave jumping was part of sailing. But it’s not like I didn't get an education. A lot of the "learning" came from the school of hard knocks. I didn't learn from books and videos until many years afterwards. Books pretty much taught me terminology. But sailing from the seat of my pants taught me to read the nuances of wind and water. Something I don't think I would have gotten from books. How you learn is up to you. Sailing is about choice. Enjoy your own experiences.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:34   #40

I grew up in Omaha. There are plenty of lakes around there for sailing. It is where I first learned how to sail.

The thing to be aware of is that sailing is sailing. Things like sail trim, point of sail, jib, main, halyards and sheets... These things are all the same whether you are on a 15-foot daysailer or whether you are on a 40-foot ocean cruiser. All of it translates, and so it is definitely VERY worthwhile to learn how to sail on small boats in small lakes.

Moving up to bigger boats is all about the other systems. Things like the auxiliary, the head, galley operation, and that sort of thing. Also, you will eventually have to learn to navigate, which is something you really don't have to worry about in Nebraska, even on Lake McConaughy.

Good luck!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:25   #41

Yeah, not much to navigate when you can see the other side of the lake, LOL