Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2017, 20:32   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: new to sailing liscenses needed?

Quote:
. Most are not.
Jeez, you got any statistics on that, or just a feeling you have?

Operating a boat in benign conditions can be self taught if one has an IQ above their shoe size.
To set out in harms way, without experience can of course be lethal, but this is where the IQ comes in: Don't go there unless you know what you are doing.
Judgment cannot be taught, you only get it by pushing the envelope a little at the time and learning from your mistakes.
Be conservative and don't do anything stupid: Easy rule.

As for boat handling, it takes practice and practice again.
Go out there and throw a live vest overboard. Then practice docking against it, again and again.
Next, find an empty dock and keep landing and taking off from it, do it in more wind and in more current if you can or if you have the choice.
Do the above 50 or 100 times and the next real docking, between expensive boats, in wind and current, will be easy.
Learn about prop-walk, it is your best friend and once you get it, every docking will make you look good.
Old 22-01-2017, 22:22   #17

Boat: Flamenca 25

As a newbie myself I also learned sailing by myself in smaller boats.
After a year or two I was just starting to pat myself on the back thinking I have got the basics. Then I was lucky enough to be invited with, on a boat participating in informal races around the cans. Fun and some beer type races. I quickly realised, almost like a car, I were sailing first and second gear only and that there were another 3rd and fourth gear also. I could not wait the next week to go out with my own little boat and go find those other gears.
Going out with the more experienced guys helped me get on that first bottom rung of the sailing experience ladder. Was the commodore no less of our club that invited me and I will always remember the kindness he showed me.
Respect to you people that started of on 40 footers . I could not do it.
subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 01:01   #18

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
So far I have seen five or six people say this but I have yet to see someone say what you need if you don't plan to operate only in US Waters. I've never heard of anyone having to do something special for their VHF.
I threw in some bolds below
From - FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing

Who Needs a Ship Station License
You do not need a license to operate a marine VHF radio, radar, or EPIRBs aboard voluntary ships operating domestically. The term "voluntary ships" refers to ships that are not required by law to carry a radio. Generally, this term applies to recreation or pleasure craft.

Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands), a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 03:45   #19

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Next question is why is the FCC requiring a license for boats not in the U.S.?
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 04:26   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Next question is why is the FCC requiring a license for boats not in the U.S.?
To comply with Article 47 of the ITU Radio Regulations.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 04:38   #21

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Ahh. That is some very complicated reading there. Four categories of licenses, but I can't tell which one an individual should have. I never heard of anyone ever having to have a radio license to travel internationally though. Would have never known if I hadn't seen this thread.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 11:42   #22
Marine Service Provider

You do not need a Restricted Radio Telephone Operator Permit to operate a VHF radio in US domestic waters or airspace (same for pilots). Nor do you need a Radio Station license for a marine VHF radio on a US documented or US state registered boat operated in US waters. For such boats that are being operated commercially you will need a Commercial Radio License to transmit on a marine VHF radio. Internationally you sould check with the applicable countries, you many need the whole enchilada.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 00:07   #23

You bought a boat to get way from people so why do you want to call them? SSB radios are unfortunately almost at the stage of being thrown up on that scrap heap pile alongside sextants and sun dials. But a small short-wave radio receiver that you can get news and has upper and lower side band capabilities for obtaining weather faxes is handy. A VHF is necessary and AIS is a very good thing to have. But a satellte phone for comms is the best option if you are going international. As for learning to sail, read books and when the weather is favorable and will stay nice for awhile, get out and practice. Then go back in and read more books. Try not to get accustomed to the dockside life of cleaning, polishing and listening to mythological stories. I have sailed into many ports around the world and have never been asked for any licenses. Some marinas ask for 3rd party insurance though but if you indicate that you don't have insurance and will leave, they will usually ask you to stay and advise you to just be careful.
Warren Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 05:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish View Post
Really, You bought a 42 foot ketch and feel you need sail lessons. Best of Luck
That's not so bad. At least he is planning on staying along the coast. He can learn most of what he needs to know without getting into any serious danger. The ones that scare me are the people who say something like...

"I've never sailed before. I don't know anything about boats. I just bought a Catalina 22, and will be leaving to cross the Atlantic tomorrow. What kind of anchor should I buy?"
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 05:23   #25

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnd1964 View Post
hello all , have finally bought my 42 ketch after 25 years dreaming about it . my question is and I have been reading about coast guard boarding and inspections . I would like to know what I may be missing as I plan to sail my boat to florida from Baltimore in the spring . I have read about radio operation liscense .not sure what that is or the requirements are. I have the boat on dry storage until april doing a new navigation system ,stove and refridgeration . I have just over 3 months before I plan to set out and am considering a sailing class at a sailing school in fla . any insight would be greatly appreciated

Congratulations. We went a different direction, but when we were first shopping, the 46' Island Trader was high up on our list.

I suspect most of your questions have been answered, so I'll just suggest you plan on stopping in Annapolis on your way south from Baltimore.

In the meantime, you might want to read and memorize books like Chapman's Piloting and some other various sail-specific books.

See if you can find the USCG Auxiliary's introductory boating course, maybe somewhere nearby. Also, learn about navigating the AICW (search here and elsewhere); most of your trip south (except for the Chesapeake, for example) could well be motoring, so introductory US Power Squadron courses (maybe local) could be equally useful. "Local" may depend on where you are in Indiana, but I'd guess even the Indy reservoir areas (for example) might have some local instruction.

-Chris

Tags
sail, sailing