Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2022, 18:32   #76

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: “New” requirement for NZ Cat 1 certification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Lycia View Post
Hello Everyone

Does anyone know if Australia has a similar regulation to Cat 1? or is it just a border clearance concerning passports and reviewing boat ownership and flag registrations etc? Cheers
No requirements on foreign flagged boats other than normal documentation and p/p etc.

Thank goodness...

Jim
Old 15-03-2022, 18:41   #77

Thank you Jim, May God bless Australia! and the common sense of its beautiful people lol

I feel good knowing Im on the right track. Cheers
Pacific Lycia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 22:24   #78

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
No requirements on foreign flagged boats other than normal documentation and p/p etc.

Thank goodness...

Jim
actually no particular requirement on national flag either. each state has some regs for safety gear on boats going offshore but they are almost embarrassingly basic. only item of consequence is an epirb

cheers,
Old 15-03-2022, 23:42   #79

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If you want to quietly leave NZ without checking out, I know of a little island not 2000 miles away where they issued me exit papers, but could have cared less about my previous port.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 23:55   #80

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Thank goodness...

Jim
They are too busy screwing over the natives to be bothered with the foreigners.
Old 17-03-2022, 13:59   #81

Wink Re: “New” requirement for NZ Cat 1 certification

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
If you want to quietly leave NZ without checking out, I know of a little island not 2000 miles away where they issued me exit papers, but could have cared less about my previous port.
mmmm sounds like a dodgy deal to me LOL where is that island?
Old 17-03-2022, 14:01   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
They are too busy screwing over the natives to be bothered with the foreigners.
you are so right, we are punished for exiting NZ , however the question begs to ask, with a NZ flag boat exiting Australia and if I am in trouble in the South Pacific, NZ still has to come to rescue me under the law! I hope I will never need it.
Old 17-03-2022, 14:29   #83

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
you are so right, we are punished for exiting NZ , however the question begs to ask, with a NZ flag boat exiting Australia and if I am in trouble in the South Pacific, NZ still has to come to rescue me under the law! I hope I will never need it.

The flag country of a boat has no bearing on the primary rescue authority - that’s based on the geographical location of the rescue. They will check EPIRB and boat registration authorities for identification and communications with land-based emergency contacts, which may all be different countries.

In our case, a UK-registered vessel, one US-registered and one NZ-registered EPIRB, and emergency contacts in Canada and NZ. If we were to set off one or both EPIRBs in the eastern North Pacific the primary rescue authority would likely be US or Canada. UK, NZ and US rescue centres would be contacted depending on which EPIRB signal is received.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 14:40   #84

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Er, no they don't. It would be down to whatever nation's area of responsibility you are in. In the SoPac a remarkably large area is the responsibility of either France or Chile.

And also - if you are any distance offshore the will ask a passing merchant ship to pick you up and if that ship's next port is in Angola that is where they are going to land you.
Old 17-03-2022, 16:33   #85

well then the cat 1 requirement makes no sense at all if thats the case... if NZ is not responsible then why care if I am safe or not under its flag.
Old 17-03-2022, 16:40   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
The flag country of a boat has no bearing on the primary rescue authority - that’s based on the geographical location of the rescue. They will check EPIRB and boat registration authorities for identification and communications with land-based emergency contacts, which may all be different countries.

In our case, a UK-registered vessel, one US-registered and one NZ-registered EPIRB, and emergency contacts in Canada and NZ. If we were to set off one or both EPIRBs in the eastern North Pacific the primary rescue authority would likely be US or Canada. UK, NZ and US rescue centers would be contacted depending on which EPIRB signal is received.
thank you very much I wasn't aware of this, and this info is so absent in NZ forums, everyone thinks that the Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand is responsible for alerting the local authorities to rescue you. Certainly there are mixed messages here in NZ then, we are even taught this in Boat master courses that if you are in trouble your Epirb will alert the authority its registered under you and they will appoint a rescue operation but nothing is clarified that this will be the country you are sailing in
Old 17-03-2022, 16:44   #87

https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/about...Z/default.aspx

If you look at this map of the region the rescue operation covers... so I think there is a misunderstanding?
Old 17-03-2022, 16:52   #88

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
well then the cat 1 requirement makes no sense at all if thats the case... if NZ is not responsible then why care if I am safe or not under its flag.

NZ is responsible for a huge area of water from just SE of New Caledonia over to Tonga (inclusive) then up to Tokelau (including Niue, both Samoas and the Cook Islands) then below French Polynesia almost all the way to Easter Island, and all the way down to Antarctica.

The Cat 1 requirement for NZ-registered boats is to help reduce incidents due to ill-prepared crews and/or boats during passages from New Zealand to the South Pacific islands. They tried to apply it to all boats leaving NZ, but stopped when they realised that would stop non-NZ boats coming to NZ and spending money.

It’s a hoop you need to jump through if you don’t want to deal with the issues presented by a foreign-registered boat.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 16:53   #89

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
mmmm sounds like a dodgy deal to me LOL where is that island?
They were very trusting, simple people that I could have taken advantage of, but didn't because I was legitimate. If I told you where on the internet, the opportunity would go away.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, grass, men