Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2022, 13:26   #1

Boat: Nautitech 46' Fly
pirate New Owners Nautitech 46 Fly looking for training and certification on our boat

My wife and I are in the process of buying a Nautitech 46 Fly catamaran and are scheduled to close in early October. Closing and delivery will be in Ft Lauderdale and we are looking to train on our boat for ASA certification and competency for insurance and ourselves as quickly as possible after closing. We have very limited experience assisting in sailing a monohull but we are fast learners. We are already in possession of ASA training books through 104-114 and looking for a captain who can train us and get us certified on our boat.

This should be an easy cat to sail as it has a furling main sail.

Obviously one of the advantage of training on our own boat is for familiarity. One challenge we have our special needs son will be with us which is the main reason for training on our boat, so we can see after his needs also. He is an adult with physical limitations but very smart. Although he won't be able to do all the training due to his disability he will undoubtedly be interested and learn a lot just by osmosis.

Our goal is that after the training we will start our sailing/cruising life in the Bahamas this year then further out next season.
SailingAbility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 14:13   #2

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
Re: New Owners Nautitech 46 Fly looking for training and certification on our boat

Can't help you with you request for a captain but am sure you will find one. Just wanted to say good luck and I hope your cruising experience is a good one.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 14:42   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: New Owners Nautitech 46 Fly looking for training and certification on our boat

Damn, I could help you, but no way to fit this into my schedule. I will ask around and see if any other instructors I know can help out.

When I ran an ASA school we did a lot training in this scenario. We even developed a name for it: "Instructional Deliveries". The objective was to deliver the yacht to its new home with the owner(s) aboard as a "crew-dent" (crew + student) and for the new owner to be running the boat by the time we got there with nothing but assistance from the instructor.

I suggest you check with some of the schools in the area. Almost all instructors work as part-time independent contractors so even if the school itself cant help you out directly they may know an instructor who can.

Note that not all competent sailors/captains are good instructors. Especially in your situation you will need to insure you find a good instructor, not just someone who knows how to sail.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 15:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Damn, I could help you, but no way to fit this into my schedule. I will ask around and see if any other instructors I know can help out.

When I ran an ASA school we did a lot training in this scenario. We even developed a name for it: "Instructional Deliveries". The objective was to deliver the yacht to its new home with the owner(s) aboard as a "crew-dent" (crew + student) and for the new owner to be running the boat by the time we got there with nothing but assistance from the instructor.

I suggest you check with some of the schools in the area. Almost all instructors work as part-time independent contractors so even if the school itself cant help you out directly they may know an instructor who can.

Note that not all competent sailors/captains are good instructors. Especially in your situation you will need to insure you find a good instructor, not just someone who knows how to sail.
Hi Belizesailor,
Thanks for your interest and help. Yes, your description is exactly what we are looking for. We are thinking that it would be great if we could move it from Ft. Lauderdale to somewhere around Coco as it would be closer for us and dockage would be cheaper. I don't know if that would would be enough of a trip for training but we're willing to do whatever it takes to become proficient, confident and comfortable with our skills.

Anyway, if you have an inspired thought or run across someone who would be an especially good match for us please let us know.
Old 22-09-2022, 11:49   #5

Boat: Beneteau 43

Try Two Can Sail, Jean Levine Grossman and Jeff Grossman. They did exactly what you have in mind with us St. Petersburg, FL to New Orleans, LA. Highly skilled and amazing instructors. twocansail.com Punta Gorda, FL
sailorbobdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 17:23   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAbility View Post
Hi Belizesailor,
Thanks for your interest and help. Yes, your description is exactly what we are looking for. We are thinking that it would be great if we could move it from Ft. Lauderdale to somewhere around Coco as it would be closer for us and dockage would be cheaper. I don't know if that would would be enough of a trip for training but we're willing to do whatever it takes to become proficient, confident and comfortable with our skills.

Anyway, if you have an inspired thought or run across someone who would be an especially good match for us please let us know.
You mentioned you have the texts for 104-114. Have you completed any of the prerequisite ASA training (101-103)?

For up though 114 there is no distance requirement so a move up to Coco Beach would be fine. There are plenty of opportunities on that route, and on either end, to cover the required skills.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 08:51   #7

Hey Belizesailor,
We have the books but not the certification prerequisites. We were hoping to get all that done in one go. Some schools do that.
Old 23-09-2022, 08:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbobdeb View Post
Try Two Can Sail, Jean Levine Grossman and Jeff Grossman. They did exactly what you have in mind with us St. Petersburg, FL to New Orleans, LA. Highly skilled and amazing instructors. twocansail.com Punta Gorda, FL
Hi SaiorBobDeb,
Thanks for the info!! I will definitely check them out. We have an outstanding broker who has a lot of connections. We know God is leading because everything seems to be falling into place. Your info will be a great "Plan B".

Thanks so much!

Tags
boat, certification, training