Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2023, 14:15   #1

Looking for Catamaran experience (US/Caribbean)

Hi there, I'm in my late 40's, and just starting this journey. Have taken the 101 class, and visited the BVI. Will eventually take the 103/104/114 as well. Long term goal is to have an L45. How do you find opportunities in the US (prefer eastern or southern), or Caribbean to join on a Catamaran for a few days here and there, to gain experience and knowledge from different captains?, for a reasonable price. Love to get advice and experience from multiple people. Non-Smoker, and love the water (snorkeling, diving, boating). Would love to gain experience on a Leopard, but open to other Catamaran opportunities. Thanks !!
jfrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 15:18   #2

Boat: J/109
Re: Looking for Catamaran experience (US/Caribbean)

I am on a similar journey. Sailed small boats growing up, but got back into it in the last few years helping friends race their boats as crew. Not hard to find these opportunities. I completed my ASA series this year and have started charting, first crewed, where they were kind enough to allow me to act as an active crew member, but then with bare boats. I have also started building offshore experience through OPO and Salty Dawgs and other programs that match captains, boats and crews. Lots of opportunities once you start researching and networking. There are also cabin cruises available with a professional skipper. Another good way to get exposed to different captains and gain experience.
mochifanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 13:01   #3

Boat: Cal 33
Re: Looking for Catamaran experience (US/Caribbean)

Call Mark Thompson at Yachting Education. This guy is a great teacher! I could also listen to his stories for a week.

With one day of catamaran training, as well as with other monohull experience, I had the confidence to charter a Bali 41 for my first trip to the BVI. Can't recommend him highly enough!

https://www.yachtingeducation.com/

Tags
Caribbean, catamaran, experience, leopard