Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2022, 21:02   #31

Boat: Hunter, Legend 45
Re: License for sailing my own boat

Thanks you all for the clarifications. I found the answers here I was looking for...!!
Puff68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 00:22   #32

Boat: Outremer 55L

[QUOTE=paralog;3655298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff68 View Post
Hey All

I am sorry if this question has been asked before but I searched and could not come up with a clear answer. I googled and emailed but am not getting anywhere so I am hoping someone here can give me the correct answer.

The wife and I are looking to upgrade our boat to a larger one (45ft approx.). We both have our PCOC but I have not been able to find out if we need to upgrade our personal licenses..?? For the time being we are in Canadian waters, in a Canadian registered boat, yes it is ours. We are looking when the new boat arrives to sail south, Caribbean and possibly some day to the Med or surrounding areas.

I know a RYA license is better accepted over there for marinas and such.

SVOP is for professional boating, water taxis etc and for anyone who has done any boating

Do we need an SVOP for us for Canadian waters or south (U.S. or Caribbean waters)..??

Thank you in advance and again my apologies if this has been repeated.

SVOP is for professional boating, water taxis etc and for anyone who has done any other boating course knows that the course is pathetic and teaches to the lowest common level of education. It is not required for private recreational boaters. I have done it and Med A3, both useless.

You are better off doing - Power Squadron, then follow on with RYA or CYA boating course. I found power squadron gives a good general over view of boating and an good intro to chart work. The other courses like Coastal Navigation, coastal skipper builds on power Sqn and give practical training. From what i understand the RYA course seem to be much tougher as I have found that no one seems to fail any courses here in Canada proving that most are just out to make money rather than deliver a rigorous level of training where you can pass or fail.

If you want to operate your own boat in Canada you need a PCOC. That’s it.

I don’t know about sailing your own Canadian-registered boat in Europe (if you were to charter you’d need to show an ICC), but other places in the world (Caribbean, South Pacific) accept your flag state’s requirement (i.e. the PCOC), if they ask for anything at all (generally, they don’t).

You do however have to be properly registered with a radio operator’s certificate and your vessel needs a ship’s station licence. These are the responsibility of the flag state. The ship station also provides an MMSI.

You will need insurance, minimum third party liability. That’s all marinas care about - they couldn’t give a stuff about operator licenses, just boat insurance. Some marinas will require comprehensive coverage.

For your own training, and possibly to help you get insurance, look at RYA courses (minimum would be Dayskipper), or at the ASA courses from the US. Canadian sailing schools will provide the CYA curriculum, which is basically the RYA courses.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 01:35   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Sone European countries have specific competency requirements , they typically publish a list of acceptable certificates.
Old 23-07-2022, 04:34   #34

Boat: Hunter 340

I just have to ask....Why oh why do so many people think you need a "license" to operate a private boat??
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 07:58   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I just have to ask....Why oh why do so many people think you need a "license" to operate a private boat??
Are you declaring some sort of personal belief, or have you not read the thread, which describes several jurisdictions where 'licences' or proof of competency are required?
Old 23-07-2022, 12:05   #36
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:

Eh , because it’s the law in several countries.
Old 23-07-2022, 13:08   #37

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
It’s been a requirement in our (your) country since 2011. That is why.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 14:42   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sone European countries have specific competency requirements , they typically publish a list of acceptable certificates.
I recently rented a boat in Italy, they accepted my Canadian PCOC as proof of competency.

I got my Canadian PCOC with the company : myboatcard.com

I think they are based in Vancouver, BC
Dan889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 17:12   #39

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan889 View Post
I recently rented a boat in Italy, they accepted my Canadian PCOC as proof of competency.

what sort of boat? (even in Canada you do not need a PCOC when renting boats -- at least, not boats such as runabout, ski boats, etc)
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 20:27   #40

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

I’m not sure this is true.

Quote:
Question #1: Who is required to obtain a PCOC or a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

Answer: Every person (read boater) who wishes to operate a powered watercraft, including watercraft fitted with any size of motor, must have a PCOC, irrespective of the age factor.
https://www.sprintdriving.com/blog/p...sked-questions

Edit. Hmmm. That was just what popped up first on a search. Then I went to Transport Canada and the info there doesn’t mention any PCOC

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...g/rental-boats
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 22:46   #41

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
I’m not sure this is true.

https://www.sprintdriving.com/blog/p...sked-questions

Edit. Hmmm. That was just what popped up first on a search. Then I went to Transport Canada and the info there doesn’t mention any PCOC

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...g/rental-boats
Yes you do need it to operate any kind of boat with a motor. Its one of the most useless ever pieces of work ever done by the Feds. My son at 11 years old took the test at a boat show and passed and he had never been near a boat.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 04:14   #42

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
It’s been a requirement in our (your) country since 2011. That is why.
The Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) is a requirement to operate most boats in Canada and is only a certificate of competency, but even that is arguable given the ease with which the card is issued. It is not a "license" in the usual way as is a license to operate an aircraft or automobile.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 07:01   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan889 View Post

Is it issued to Canadian residents only or anyone can test and get that card?
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 07:06   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
Yes you do need it to operate any kind of boat with a motor. Its one of the most useless ever pieces of work ever done by the Feds. My son at 11 years old took the test at a boat show and passed and he had never been near a boat.
The PCOC is an attempt (perhaps futile) to ensure that all holders of the card have been exposed to basic marine safety and navigation information at least once in their lives.

Perhaps you're onto something; maybe the best time to educate future boaters is as older children (eg 10 to 14), when their enthusiasm hasn't yet been overtaken by cynicism.
Old 25-09-2022, 14:52   #45

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
The situation is essentially identical in the US. It is a joke. It makes the do-gooders feel they have done something and it shows that they care. I spoke with a friend's son who had just passed his test, but had never been on a boat. I asked who is "stand on," a sailboat or a powerboat. He says it depends. Of course, he is correct, a sailboat overtaking a powerboat is never "stand on." But he was not aware of that distinction.

But it doesn't apply just to the stupid state boater card. You can get your Coast Guard Captain' s license without ever having touched the wheel of a vessel. But at least with the Coast Guard license, you have to have actually been on the water.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, license, sail, sailing