Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2022, 12:31   #16

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: License for sailing my own boat

More qualifications CHEAPER insurance, more or less that’s about it……..In Canada my insurance company likes my Power Squadron qualifications…..
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 14:01   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Marinas don't care about licensing. They are only interested in your liability insurance and can you pay the rent in advance. Some government agencies are interested in your insurance as well which should cover wreck removal from their territorial waters.

I've cruised and chartered in Hawaii, Australia, French Polynesia, the Caribbean, Belize and the US west coast. I have a US Coast Guard issued master's ticket for power and sail and have been a boat owner for fifty years. Nobody ever asked me for a license or a resume.

I flew for two major international airlines. I also have two college degrees, and nobody in their hiring departments ever asked to see these either, only my pilot licenses. instructor.

Charter companies have always asked for my competency cert
Old 09-07-2022, 16:54   #18

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
...and for the record, Canada's Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) isn't a licence, it's a "proof of competency", which, roughly translated, means that the holder was required to study and then write a brief test on the most basic of boating and boating-safety topics at least ONCE in their lives.
If only it actually tested for competency… i challenged the test at the boat show and passed with 1 mistake. The question I failed was on how far you’re supposed to back a trailer into the water… the correct answer, of course is “past the gentleman with the travellift his $100”.

Given how many idiots make out on the water it’s definitely a very low bar to pass.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 18:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
If only it actually tested for competency…
Given how many idiots make [it] out on the water it’s definitely a very low bar to pass.
I agree... which is why I found it hard to refer to the PCOC as a "licence". But it at least removes any excuse for complete ignorance. A refresher course every 5 years might be a good next step, if competence can't be demonstrated in other ways - eg courses completed, logbook, etc.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff68 View Post
Hey All
I am sorry if this question has been asked before but I searched and could not come up with a clear answer. I googled and emailed but am not getting anywhere so I am hoping someone here can give me the correct answer.

The wife and I are looking to upgrade our boat to a larger one (45ft approx.). We both have our PCOC but I have not been able to find out if we need to upgrade our personal licenses..?? For the time being we are in Canadian waters, in a Canadian registered boat, yes it is ours. We are looking when the new boat arrives to sail south, Caribbean and possibly some day to the Med or surrounding areas.

I know a RYA license is better accepted over there for marinas and such.

Do we need an SVOP for us for Canadian waters or south (U.S. or Caribbean waters)..??

Thank you in advance and again my apologies if this has been repeated.

Glen
No nothing more required, provided you are sailing for pleasure only.
Sailing certification of some description is a personal choice, you may find it helpful. If you haven’t already done so.
Or you may find all the basic course cover what you already have learned from your experience so far.

The SVOP would only be required if you plan to operate commercially. Crewed charter or take paying punters sailing.
If Recall correctly SVOP is a only available as a Domestic Non STCW certificate. So an SVOP would not be considered valid for commercial use outside Canada.
AFAIK there is no Canadian STCW equivalent to RYA or US 6 pack or 100t Lisence

Taking paying Pax is a lot more of a hassle than just getting SVOP Getting a vessel certified and inspected and insured is also required.
There used to be a nice little loophole which allows sailing instruction. I haven’t heard of this changing, I haven’t bothered to keep up with these things though.

The regular RYA isn’t a “licence” either until you add the professional requirements. It does have brand recognition if you are overseas. But it’s not required.

Canada and US do not issue ICC. Which is a certificate. There is a provision for countries like UK. And RYA to issue ICC to non UK citizens provided there own citizenship does not issue its own ICC.
You would only require it if you were chartering a boat in a country which requires ICC.

If you were considering trying to do something commercial with your own boat. outside Canada.
It’s probably much much easier to deal with UK registry and RYA than TC.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 12:09   #21

Boat: 105 Palmer Johnson MY

I flew for two major international airlines. I also have two college degrees, and nobody in their hiring departments ever asked to see these either, only my pilot licenses. instructor.

Off topic but this reply reminded me of a comment my Dad made when I was a kid. I lived in northern Canada and many friends and people on our street owned their own small float planes. One of them had several accidents and after a particularly bad one I asked my father if he would lose his license. My Dad laughed and told me he never had a license. I was quite surprised as I knew the the guy had been flying most of his life and asked him how he got away with that.

My Dad replied "you don't get pulled over very often in a plane"!

On topic, I have been boating for many years and never once been asked for a license which is a good thing because I don't have one either.
DShant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 13:09   #22

Boat: Athol Burns Offshore Motor Yacht

When I sailed around the world I visited 50 countries and was never asked for proof of competency/licence etc. However I always had it to hand just in case. I did the RYA Yachtmaster before I left on my travels just in case. I guess if you managed to sail there you don't need a piece of paper to prove you could!
Times are changing though, many more boats out there and more rules introduced all the time. No harm in playing safe and getting an internationally recognized cert such as RYA.
stinkpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 14:53   #23

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_n_Audrey View Post
For exactly this reason, I finished ASA104 and got my ICC last year before sailing in Greek waters, but no one ever asked for my papers.

I have my ASA 104 and my ICC, both in case I chart her in the med. I find the money aspect of it to be repulsive.

The ICC comes with an expiration date. To renew it, you have to rejoin ASA and then pay for a new certificate. They don't test you, they don't run a background check, they don't take a fresh photograph like a driver's license -- they just want a recurring revenue stream.

The good news is it isn't deleted while your membership is dormant. So even though my ICC is several years past its expiry, I can reactivate it quickly without too much headache.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 15:44   #24

Boat: Summer Twins 25

In the UK you need a broadcasting Licence for the VHF (assuming you have a VHF) and hopefully some insurance. They don’t like you wondering on and out of harbours without insurance.
Unless your on inland waters and then your boat needs a safety certificate as well.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 16:16   #25

https://www.rentayacht.com.au/servic...rs-whitsundays

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 19:22   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
...and for the record, Canada's Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) isn't a licence, it's a "proof of competency", which, roughly translated, means that the holder was required to study and then write a brief test on the most basic of boating and boating-safety topics at least ONCE in their lives.
Likewise, an RYA certificate is not a license, either. Just sayin.
Old 18-07-2022, 20:05   #27

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

[QUOTE=Puff68;3650301]Hey All
I am sorry if this question has been asked before but I searched and could not come up with a clear answer. I googled and emailed but am not getting anywhere so I am hoping someone here can give me the correct answer.

The wife and I are looking to upgrade our boat to a larger one (45ft approx.). We both have our PCOC but I have not been able to find out if we need to upgrade our personal licenses..?? For the time being we are in Canadian waters, in a Canadian registered boat, yes it is ours. We are looking when the new boat arrives to sail south, Caribbean and possibly some day to the Med or surrounding areas.

I know a RYA license is better accepted over there for marinas and such.

SVOP is for professional boating, water taxis etc and for anyone who has done any boating

Do we need an SVOP for us for Canadian waters or south (U.S. or Caribbean waters)..??

Thank you in advance and again my apologies if this has been repeated.

SVOP is for professional boating, water taxis etc and for anyone who has done any other boating course knows that the course is pathetic and teaches to the lowest common level of education. It is not required for private recreational boaters. I have done it and Med A3, both useless.

You are better off doing - Power Squadron, then follow on with RYA or CYA boating course. I found power squadron gives a good general over view of boating and an good intro to chart work. The other courses like Coastal Navigation, coastal skipper builds on power Sqn and give practical training. From what i understand the RYA course seem to be much tougher as I have found that no one seems to fail any courses here in Canada proving that most are just out to make money rather than deliver a rigorous level of training where you can pass or fail.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 20:07   #28

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
No nothing more required, provided you are sailing for pleasure only.
Sailing certification of some description is a personal choice, you may find it helpful. If you haven’t already done so.
Or you may find all the basic course cover what you already have learned from your experience so far.

The SVOP would only be required if you plan to operate commercially. Crewed charter or take paying punters sailing.
If Recall correctly SVOP is a only available as a Domestic Non STCW certificate. So an SVOP would not be considered valid for commercial use outside Canada.
AFAIK there is no Canadian STCW equivalent to RYA or US 6 pack or 100t Lisence

Taking paying Pax is a lot more of a hassle than just getting SVOP Getting a vessel certified and inspected and insured is also required.
There used to be a nice little loophole which allows sailing instruction. I haven’t heard of this changing, I haven’t bothered to keep up with these things though.

The regular RYA isn’t a “licence” either until you add the professional requirements. It does have brand recognition if you are overseas. But it’s not required.

Canada and US do not issue ICC. Which is a certificate. There is a provision for countries like UK. And RYA to issue ICC to non UK citizens provided there own citizenship does not issue its own ICC.
You would only require it if you were chartering a boat in a country which requires ICC.

If you were considering trying to do something commercial with your own boat. outside Canada.
It’s probably much much easier to deal with UK registry and RYA than TC.
ISPA gives out ICC quals as i have them on my log book.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 03:34   #29
Nearly an old salt

Both the RYA and ISA ( Irish sailing association ) can issue ICCs to US and Canadians who pass the relevant RYA/ISA test
Old 19-07-2022, 03:34   #30
Nearly an old salt

License for sailing my own boat

A proof of competency becomes a license when a jurisdiction mandates it. Hence the ICC can be both in certain cases ( Like Greece for example )

Tags
boat, license, sail, sailing