Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2017, 13:09   #1

I've Never Sailed in My Entire Life

Howdy Sailors,

This is my first post of what I expect to be many. I reach out to you guys as a mere land dweller with the sailing experience of an infant. I've never actually sailed in my life, but I'm only 22 so I can't think of a better time to change that than now. My appetite for sailing/cruising increases with every story I read and every film I watch - the practicality is what really draws me.

So, I've got about 5 months left until I graduate with my BBA in finance and the very first thing I am going to do upon graduating is get a job as a bank teller in Columbus, Ohio. Just kidding (no offense to bank tellers). First thing I want to do after I walk off the stage is to purchase a Pearson 26 and sail away into the sunset.

In the mean time, I'm looking to stretch my sea legs. I've got my spring break (remember those?) coming up on March 10th - 19th, so what better to do than learn to sail? I'd like to trade my time and labor for essential sailing lessons, just to learn the basics and for the experience. I'll even buy us a six pack to enjoy after class Given that I've never been sailing, even just a regular sail where I could observe/inquire would be a worthwhile experience for me. I'm willing to do manual labor of some kind (maybe clean your boat?); I'm also quite skilled in photography, and I've got 3/4ths of a finance degree, so if there is anything I can do in that realm, I'd be happy to.

Also, I'm willing to travel just about anywhere along the Atlantic coast or gulf coast within the US. I'm based in Atlanta, so as long as I can drive there, I'm there!

Thanks guys!

Nick Masters
nmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 13:40   #2

Boat: hydrostream
Re: I've Never Sailed in My Entire Life

There's a ready to sail Hunter 27 on the Space Coast craigslist.. Can ya swim? Operate and maintain a car or powerboat? Got your passport yet?
Old 22-02-2017, 13:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I've Never Sailed in My Entire Life

Hi Nick.. welcome to CF..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 13:45   #4

Yes to all three. Not looking to purchase a sailboat just yet, just looking to learn.
Old 22-02-2017, 16:43   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
I've Never Sailed in My Entire Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmasters View Post
Yes to all three. Not looking to purchase a sailboat just yet, just looking to learn.

However, that is not what you said?
There is a Yacht club in Panama City, that has classes and small boats, other than that I don't know much about it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 09:21   #6

Boat: Boatless

Welcome Nick!

Race!

Are you near Lake Lanier?

https://llsc.com/

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 09:39   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Nick,

If I read you correctly? I would suggest learning
the rules of the road, so to speak, first and learn to sail later. Sping break is hardly enough time to learn much.

Sailing is technique and requires the hands on but no one belongs out there without a basic knowledge of protocol if you will.

Roger
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 09:51   #8

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Nick,

the rules of the road, so to speak, first and learn to sail later. Sping break is hardly enough time to learn much.

Sailing is technique and requires the hands on but no one belongs out there without a basic knowledge of protocol if you will.

Roger
Good advice here. Get the first American Sailing Association book "Sailing Made Easy", and learn basics. Parts of the boat, rules of the road, sail positions, etc, then you will have the foundation for the hands on learning.

Good luck, and have fun!
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 09:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmasters View Post
Howdy Sailors,

This is my first post of what I expect to be many. I reach out to you guys as a mere land dweller with the sailing experience of an infant. I've never actually sailed in my life, but I'm only 22 so I can't think of a better time to change that than now. My appetite for sailing/cruising increases with every story I read and every film I watch - the practicality is what really draws me.

So, I've got about 5 months left until I graduate with my BBA in finance and the very first thing I am going to do upon graduating is get a job as a bank teller in Columbus, Ohio. Just kidding (no offense to bank tellers). First thing I want to do after I walk off the stage is to purchase a Pearson 26 and sail away into the sunset.

In the mean time, I'm looking to stretch my sea legs. I've got my spring break (remember those?) coming up on March 10th - 19th, so what better to do than learn to sail? I'd like to trade my time and labor for essential sailing lessons, just to learn the basics and for the experience. I'll even buy us a six pack to enjoy after class Given that I've never been sailing, even just a regular sail where I could observe/inquire would be a worthwhile experience for me. I'm willing to do manual labor of some kind (maybe clean your boat?); I'm also quite skilled in photography, and I've got 3/4ths of a finance degree, so if there is anything I can do in that realm, I'd be happy to.

Also, I'm willing to travel just about anywhere along the Atlantic coast or gulf coast within the US. I'm based in Atlanta, so as long as I can drive there, I'm there!

Thanks guys!

Nick Masters
Too bad your not taking that banking gig in Columbus, OH LOL. My wife and I are presently in Douglasville (just west of Atlanta) and heading up to Sandusky, OH to board our Great Loop boat a 1984 Ericson 30 plus. We'll be on the Lakes and sailing from next Tuesday until the end of September. My business partner and I buy older model sailboats, refurbish them and then resell them. I don't think we have a Person 26 but can offer other similar vessels at reasonable price and we'd love to take you sailing to both try them out and just learn the ropes (no extra charge). From Atlanta to Harbor North ( just across the bay from Sandusky in Marblehead) is 685 miles and about 12 hrs. I used to drive that in a day but take two now (yes we are older - I have 11 grandkids (most older than you) but we still love adventures and sailing is still near the top of our list. Hope this is helpful. If not please disregard. Good look to you regardless. Fair wind and following seas. Bruce V.
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 10:32   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

PM me your timing. I'll take you out and tell you the little I know. Warning; sanding and oiling teak is not much fun but a place to sleep is included.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 10:38   #11

Boat: cal29

Reply to nmasters and brucev
For basic understanding of sailing and seamanship check out you local Coast Guard Auxiliary unit for classes. Very inexpensive.
Brucev, Im planning on doing the Great Loop also. Would love to talk more about it if you care too. You can call me @26-392-2220 or email @ kwghome@sbcglobal.net. I live in Mayfield Village and sail out of the Grand River on a Cal29.
Ken
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 12:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hi Nick.. welcome to CF..
Thank you for the kind welcome boatman61.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
However, that is not what you said?
There is a Yacht club in Panama City, that has classes and small boats, other than that I don't know much about it
I apologize for the confusion. I am looking for a boat, just not ready to pull the trigger until late July. Thanks for the info on the Yacht club in PCB, I'm going to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Welcome Nick!

Race!

Are you near Lake Lanier?

https://llsc.com/
Racing sailboats definitely sounds like a fun sport to take up! I am about an hour out from Lake Lanier. Thanks for the link to the sailing club; I didn't know Lake Lanier had a sailing club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Nick,

Roger
Roger that. I couldn't agree more. I don't want to be one of those drivers that hangs out in the left lane on the interstate
I'm going to take your advice by purchasing a copy of the Chapman Piloting and Seamanship book:

https://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Pilot.../dp/1588169618

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkroar View Post
Good advice here. Get the first American Sailing Association book "Sailing Made Easy", and learn basics. Parts of the boat, rules of the road, sail positions, etc, then you will have the foundation for the hands on learning.

Good luck, and have fun!
Thank you for the book recommendation! I've added it to list of books to purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce v View Post
Too bad your not taking that banking gig in Columbus, OH LOL. My wife and I are presently in Douglasville (just west of Atlanta) and heading up to Sandusky, OH to board our Great Loop boat a 1984 Ericson 30 plus. We'll be on the Lakes and sailing from next Tuesday until the end of September. My business partner and I buy older model sailboats, refurbish them and then resell them. I don't think we have a Person 26 but can offer other similar vessels at reasonable price and we'd love to take you sailing to both try them out and just learn the ropes (no extra charge). From Atlanta to Harbor North ( just across the bay from Sandusky in Marblehead) is 685 miles and about 12 hrs. I used to drive that in a day but take two now (yes we are older - I have 11 grandkids (most older than you) but we still love adventures and sailing is still near the top of our list. Hope this is helpful. If not please disregard. Good look to you regardless. Fair wind and following seas. Bruce V.
Hi Bruce, wow what a trip! I just googled the Great Loop, what a cool trip that would be. Definitely going to add that one to my bucket list. I'm definitely in the market for an older/somewhat affordable "pocket cruiser" so I will be in touch to see what you guys are working with.

Enjoy your trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
PM me your timing. I'll take you out and tell you the little I know. Warning; sanding and oiling teak is not much fun but a place to sleep is included.
Thank you Dave22q; I would be very grateful to spend some time learning the ropes with ya. Warning noted, happy to get the hands dirty!
PM coming your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanick View Post
Reply to nmasters and brucev
For basic understanding of sailing and seamanship check out you local Coast Guard Auxiliary unit for classes. Very inexpensive.
Brucev, Im planning on doing the Great Loop also. Would love to talk more about it if you care too. You can call me @26-392-2220 or email @ kwghome@sbcglobal.net. I live in Mayfield Village and sail out of the Grand River on a Cal29.
Ken
Thanks for tip alexanick; I'm going to look into it.
Enjoy your Great Loop trip!
Old 23-02-2017, 13:25   #13

Hi Nick, Welcome to your new addiction ! I started sailing as a kid ,(small dingys )I'm now 61 and dissabled. So some expireance , but not much. A year ago I took an ASA 101 class and studied to pass the book test. and then 2 full days on the water hands on in a 27 ft boat.(they supply).I LOVED IT !!!! I now crew on a race boat. and have just got a Cruising boat of my own,(Enduance 35). I have always been called to the water. The videos and stories just kicked me to get started. Look up American Sailing Assoc. on the web give them a call , get started !
Salty Digby Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 05:40   #14

Boat: 3" Bathtub Toy

Welcome to the community! I have a few days more on this board and quite a few more in years on this fine earth. I am one of those landlocked dreamers in Columbus Ohio getting ready to take sailing lessons in May. Who knows where that might lead. I understand your enthusiasm. The ASA 101 book, "Sailing Made Easy" is a great place to start. I also downloaded an iPad app called Sailing Game, also by ASA. It is a game that teaches apparent wind, points of sail, trimming, etc. Good luck to you!
MajorKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 10:07   #15
Marine Service Provider

Best of luck to you on organizing a fun Spring Break Sailing Adventure!

Let us know if you would like to come sailing with us in the Southern Caribbean!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail