Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 12:29   #31
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BoatUS recently tried to poll its membership on this question, but the response crashed their server. I just received this in my email this morning:

Boating Education and Licensing Survey
Due to an overwhelming amount of traffic in a short period of time our website encountered technical difficulties.

Though we are thankful to all who were able to complete the survey we would like to sincerely apologize to everyone who attempted to take the survey and received the "Timed Out" message. After clicking the "Done" button if you did not see the thank you confirmation page the answers to your survey were not successfully received.

We have fixed our website server problems and hope you can find the time to respond again. This information is extremely important to us as it helps with developing policy to represent all recreational boaters.

We have fixed the survey problem; please let us know your thoughts, by clicking here.

Terri Parrow Botsford
Vice President
Internet Operations
TParrow@BoatUS.com

TaoJones
Old 08-09-2007, 11:40   #32

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48
I have a saying, "if you have a law but you don't have the police, then you don't have a law." Well if there aren't enough Coast Guard to police our waters, you don't have a law for boating licenses.
Here (the US) we have Harbor Police, which are seperate from the CG and paid for by the local city. But mostly used in marina's and small harbor areas. And they are definatly busy. At any given hour you can see them. And you will ALWAYS find one near Naval ship......................._/)
Old 08-09-2007, 19:09   #33

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
I took my Pleasure Craft Operators Card at the Canadian National Exhibition. At the booth they got you to sit down and write the test. If you failed it was free. If you passed it was $45.00 and you now have a shiny new card. What a joke.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:53   #34
w42

Boat: Whitby 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
This thread begs the question:

What if you have an MCA Yachtmaster Open Ocean or USCG Masters or something to that extent??
In WA, if they take Power Squadron course as equivalent, I dont see why they wont take these.

Besides, gettings a captains license is pretty easy. Mostly just the written test. The CG takes claims of "recreational boating experience" to count toward the "on the water experience" requirement (10 years I think?). Meaning, you could sail your boat/or charter a boat/or sail a friends boat occasionally in the past ten years and they would probably count that as 10 years on-the-water experience.

Anyone know if this WA law applies to Lake Washington? IMHO, there is the reason why WA needs it. Too many deaths/serious injuries on Lake Washington every year. Usually caused by idiots.
w42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:31   #35

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Lake Wash./Lake Union is one of the most diverse bodies of water out there. And are connected to the Sound by a short set of locks. With a small boat one can even motor up to Lake Sammamish. Although, there is a small dam at its exit to maintain its water level in the summers

First and foremost it's used as a recreational playground with beaches and piers with two large floating bridges.

You'll see all kinds of activities, water skiing, jet skis, thunder boats, big yachts, small aluminum boats with fishermen, cheap inflatables, canoes, kayaks, runabouts and sailboats of all different sizes.

And in the late summer we have the hydroplane races. We are quite a mix of Water Rats and all have to get along. In the cold months it's mostly fishermen and the big power boaters (yachties). And we have several other lakes in the area but only accessible by boat ramps.

Where as, out on the Sound the list above is reduced to mostly the more robust boats probably due to the wave action and higher winds. It's understandable why the State wants some sort of certificate. There are boats everywhere. One can drive through any neighborhood and find them parked in yards and garages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Washington
Old 09-09-2007, 11:14   #36

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I think w42 is off base on USCG credit for experience. For the OUPV you must have 360 days underway on vessels. A day is at least 4 hours. At least 90 days of the experience must be within the last three years.

For the Masters ticket you need 720 days.

If you claim time on your own boat, you have to at least prove you owned the boat at that time (registration, insurance, or equivalent). 360 of those 720 must be on sail boats if you want the sail endorsement.

Yeah, taking the test is easy. Funny how lots of people miss portions and have to retake them.

I do wish there were some demonstration of proficiency required. I see people with USCG tickets who can't anchor or dock worth a darn.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 15:59   #37

minor clarification...

Coast Guard site states you need 360 days for inland and rivers masters license, 360 days of which at least 90 are on the Great Lakes for the Great Lakes ticket, 720 for near coastal. For the near coastal, 360 days must be on open ocean waters; the balance may be made up with any other documentable days.

For the sailing endorsement, 360 days must be on sail or sail auxiliary. For the towing endorsement there's an additional test or a towing course completion.

Tonnage of license will be determined by the gross tonnage of the vessels on which the applicant gained experience.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:20   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Try CFR 46 - I think Sunspot has it right.

2005 CFR Title 46, Volume 1

Specifically 46 CFR 10.467.

Near costal, inland waters and Great lakes are 3 different endoresements on the license.

Coastal - 360 deck days incl. 90 on oceans or near coastal waters
Inland waters - 360 deck days (note this requirement is met above so both are covered if above is met)
Great Lakes - 360 deck days incl. 90 days on great lakes.

If you wanted all three covered you would have to do 360 deck days. 90 of that on oceans and near coastal waters and 90 of that on the Great Lakes. No matter what you must have accumulated 90 days of that total experience within the last 3 years.

Ain't governments fun...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:51   #39
w42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
I think w42 is off base on USCG credit for experience. For the OUPV you must have 360 days underway on vessels. A day is at least 4 hours. At least 90 days of the experience must be within the last three years.
Ok, maybe I was exaggerating a bit. But, a friend of mine just got his captains license to pilot a commercial passenger ferry (small 8 person). While he owns his boat and has a lot of time on the water (sport fishing), he just had to show ownership to qualify. No logs, no demonstration of proficiency, etc. He said "I could have had my boat in charter for ten years and never sailed it and I would have qualified".
Old 10-09-2007, 06:57   #40
w42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Near costal, inland waters and Great lakes are 3 different endoresements on the license.

Coastal - 360 deck days incl. 90 on oceans or near coastal waters
Inland waters - 360 deck days (note this requirement is met above so both are covered if above is met)
Great Lakes - 360 deck days incl. 90 days on great lakes.

If you wanted all three covered you would have to do 360 deck days. 90 of that on oceans and near coastal waters and 90 of that on the Great Lakes. No matter what you must have accumulated 90 days of that total experience within the last 3 years.

Ain't governments fun...
CFR is one thing. What the man who processes your application thinks/checks out is another.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:38   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Sec. 10.467 Licenses for operators of uninspected passenger vessels of less than 100 gross tons.

That's for an OUPV, more commonly known as a six-pack. For a masters/mate for inspected vessels they come in differrent "flavours": Inland, Great Lakes, near coastal, limited, and ocean(10.401, 10.430). Note that an OUPV license is always limited to 100 miles of US coastal waters, inland OUPV are always limited to inland waters excluding the Great Lakes, and they may be issued for a particular local area (10.467.b and 10.467.g). That means they aren't an "endorsement", just a specific license.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:40   #42

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Yes, you can exaggerate how many days you operated your boat and they will take your word for it. If you claim too much time, they can reject it.

When I applied for my Masters ticket, they claimed I had "excessive sea time" during the previous 6 months. I didn't need the days for the Masters ticket but needed the time to get the sail endorsement. Luckily, I had my passport with me and was able to demonstrate that I was cruising the Bahamas and was willing to produce my log. They then accepted the time.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote