Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2022, 22:43   #1

ICC issues in Greece for an American

So I have this dream- buy a boat in Greece, sail/live aboard, what could be the problem? The ICC seems to loom large as a complication for a US citizen. One of the posts on this site said that a certificate cannot be given to a citizen of another country so that seems to make getting ICC certification useless or impossible. And then, are there ICC examiners in Greece anyhow? Saw no references...

Trying to do this by relying on internet information has been very frustrating. Not very happy contacts so far...
CaptJonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 23:22   #2

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Re: ICC issues in Greece for an American

I don't have an ICC either and I never been asked for one.
Some sort of competent certificate could be handy in the unlikely case that you are asked for one specially if your flag country has requirements.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 23:32   #3

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJonas View Post
So I have this dream- buy a boat in Greece, sail/live aboard, what could be the problem? The ICC seems to loom large as a complication for a US citizen. One of the posts on this site said that a certificate cannot be given to a citizen of another country so that seems to make getting ICC certification useless or impossible. And then, are there ICC examiners in Greece anyhow? Saw no references...

Trying to do this by relying on internet information has been very frustrating. Not very happy contacts so far...
Since the US hasn't signed onto the relevant agreements, as a US citizen you can be granted an ICC by any country that does issue them. Going the RYA route for training might be simplest if you need one. Not being familiar with the Greek regs, you might not need one to begin with, or perhaps they are happy with other qualifications (e.g. ASA or US Sailing certs, or an IPC which they'll provide after the bareboat level).
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 00:40   #4

Boat: Hanse 430e

I am an American with a US flagged boat, currently in Gibraltar but have spent many months in Geece and delt with the beauricratic mess there. I have an ICC from the RYA that I got at a school in Spain in 2017 and have renewed through the RYA. Montenegro is the only place I was asked to show the ICC. Greece, Albania, Croatia, Italy, Malta, Tunisia, Monaco, France, Spain and Gib never asked. The thing is, any one of them could want to see some proof of competence and if the port policeman is agitated or wants to make you squirm then that is a simple way to do it.

It's not hard to get an ICC but a ASA cert will likely be just as effective.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 00:47   #5

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I used to sail without any license, but then wanted/needed qualifications before I bought our own boat. In Italy I did it thru RYA, their license, and asked the instructor to do me an ICC as well. She easily added the few extra things that were needed, so I got them simultaneously. I don't see why it would be different in Greece (where I currently liveaboard the past 3 years). Also I second that nobody has ever asked me for anything like licenses, only boat reg and passports here and there, and insurance if at a marina. So I'd 100 percent do an RYA day skipper or something, it takes a week, you can do the theory online by yourself over up to 6 months beforehand, and then ask them/tell them to also do the ICC at the same time.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:14   #6

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large

After spending what seems an interminable amount of time on this issue: as an American living abroad...

You should have a relevant certificate/title/license from your country of residence. In some cases, Spain for example, even as a resident here they recognize the qualification from various levels of RYA certification even if you've never resided in the UK. They also recognize ICC certs.

So for you, if you aren't going to be resident of Greece, I recon they've got nothing to say with respect to your qualifications. Imagine the stop with the greek coast guard:
"Papers please."
You pass the US passport (your residency) and a ASA certificate. Now what?

I think it would be very different were engaged in commerce .
Sailer_Med is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, icc