Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2015, 05:18   #16

Re: How To Not Pay VAT In The EU?

You want the easiest solution?

Buy the boat and have someone else deliver it from Croatia to Gibraltar (organised by you or the vendor).

Pick it up in Gibraltar, and sail it across the Atlantic.

No tax issues.

Perhaps Boatman61 is available for the delivery

J
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 06:33   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
It shouldn't matter if SWMBO uses her UK passport as it's residency, not citizenship. I wonder if it is legal for an EU citizen to enter the EU with a "foreign" passport? Maybe it's not a problem as the UK is not part of Schengen.

Is SWMBO now insisting on re-flaging to a winning nation?
Well, we didn't have an issue when we used her UK passport, but to make doubly sure, we have subsequently only used her Australian one.

As far as dual nationality goes, if you enter the EU as another nationality, you are treated as that only. You can't for example enter the EU as an Aussie (ie on you Aussie passport) then decide to remain in the EU as a Brit. You must leave the EU on the same passport, and then return on the EU passport. As far as your comment about UK and Schengen goes, Schengen is not relevant to UK passport holders. They're EU passport holders and enjoy full rights of access/residency, etc... The advantage of the UK not being in the Schengen zone for Kiwi's and Aussies at least, is going to the UK, we get more days in the UK than the 90 Schengen days (supposedly it can be up to 6 months without a problem), and none of the time in the UK counts towards the Schengen 90/180 quota.

As far as the cricket goes, my story is that I'm not bothered.....well...I wouldn't have minded if we had won (and it was fun to have bragging rights in South Africa last week), BUT I'm more worried about the next Bledisloe Cup and the upcoming America's Cup farce (although that's a topic I'll pursue on another site).

Cheers, PT
touchngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 08:36   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchngo View Post
Well, we didn't have an issue when we used her UK passport, but to make doubly sure, we have subsequently only used her Australian one.

As far as dual nationality goes, if you enter the EU as another nationality, you are treated as that only. You can't for example enter the EU as an Aussie (ie on you Aussie passport) then decide to remain in the EU as a Brit. You must leave the EU on the same passport, and then return on the EU passport. As far as your comment about UK and Schengen goes, Schengen is not relevant to UK passport holders. They're EU passport holders and enjoy full rights of access/residency, etc... The advantage of the UK not being in the Schengen zone for Kiwi's and Aussies at least, is going to the UK, we get more days in the UK than the 90 Schengen days (supposedly it can be up to 6 months without a problem), and none of the time in the UK counts towards the Schengen 90/180 quota.

As far as the cricket goes, my story is that I'm not bothered.....well...I wouldn't have minded if we had won (and it was fun to have bragging rights in South Africa last week), BUT I'm more worried about the next Bledisloe Cup and the upcoming America's Cup farce (although that's a topic I'll pursue on another site).

Cheers, PT
I use my Swedish passport in the EU and Aussie normally everywhere else.

If I understand it, it is not legal for me to use my Swedish when entering Aus (after getting Visa of course), but I wasn't sure how Sweden/EU would treat me if I used my Aussie.